AWESOME VIDEO: Save Goliath Grouper (Endangered Species) from renewed Trophy Fishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So someone who has a different opinion is an annoyance? Normally constructive discussions have points from both sides so people can make their own mind up. Im not trying to upset your delicate sensibilities with my outdated and barbaric ideas on jew fish, Im just saying we have a hell of a lot over here, thought that was relevant. I bring up spearfishing because that's what Im doing down there, i try to avoid them not target them like you are suggesting. If you wana hump fish then whatever but try to open your mind just enough to hear the other side, you don't have to agree.

By the way you weren't making jokes, you were being a dick when all i was doing was discussing the topic. If i say something worth a joke then please, i love a good chuckle but making up **** based on zero factual evidence isn't really funny to me.

So someone who has a different opinion is an annoyance? Normally constructive discussions have points from both sides so people can make their own mind up. Im not trying to upset your delicate sensibilities with my outdated and barbaric ideas on jew fish, Im just saying we have a hell of a lot over here, thought that was relevant. I bring up spearfishing because that's what Im doing down there, i try to avoid them not target them like you are suggesting. If you wana hump fish then whatever but try to open your mind just enough to hear the other side, you don't have to agree.

By the way you weren't making jokes, you were being a dick when all i was doing was discussing the topic. If i say something worth a joke then please, i love a good chuckle but making up **** based on zero factual evidence isn't really funny to me.

John.....under you name and profile on the left side of your posts, you have
"Basking in your scuba spearo
hate "

If you have been diving as long as you say, then you know there are 999 divers dead against killing jewfish, for every one like you that would enjoy killing them. You would know this from being on dive charter boats with others, or from being in dive shops. Probably you would know it from Spearboard, where they obviously whine about how people on scubaboard are anti-hunting compared to the discussions on spearboard...But there are plenty of people on scubaboard that will spearfish or take lobster, but here we don't see it as something to enjoy causing distress to others with.

If I decided to go out this coming weekend, and shoot a cobia or a reasonable sized hog for dinner saturday night, I would not be posting about it on Scubaboard..and the members here that would post about it, would have the tact to do this on the hunting forum.

Also, I don't go to Publix, then come home and brag about how I got the strip steak away from the old lady in the wheel chair. That's kind of how the guys on spearbard sound to me...but that is just my opinion, and I am not floating it on a spearboard main forum, where it will get all of them offended.

See, isn't that better, a reasonable response so we can have an intelligent conversation about the subject.

I'm not sure what my status quote has to do with anything other than it ruffles feathers, the people who normally take the biggest offense are freediving spearos (because I'm a "cheater") so i just kinda carried it over due to lack of imagination i guess, if it was directed at you it would just say spearo right? I'm not ashamed one bit about the things that i do or i how i do them, i go out and have a blast every single dive no matter if my stringer is full or empty, not much else matters to me.

You wont find one post on either board from me saying i want to deck a jew fish, i don't want that fish and couldn't care less about them 75% of the time. I'm one of the few on spearboard who will even say the word overfishing, most scoff at this notion but its undeniable that there are less big fish today than 40 years ago, i will never argue that point. What i will say, not argue because its undeniable, is that where i dive the jf specifically are everywhere, on every site and while our sites may not be as plentiful as the east coast, we have plenty of good fishing ground for them to spread out across. I wasn't even born in the 70s but i dive with people who did, they say this area has improved 100 fold since then, every reef is they add gets loaded in no time, i wouldn't trade my coast for yours so i guess were both happy.

My intention was not to cause distress or offend, while i may be somewhat combative I'm only trying to effectively convey my message. I have said before and i will say again, i have fought with jf many times but have never once thought i would solve my problem by shooting one. I would rather poke him off (gently people don't freak out) so he doesn't learn that every time the bands snap he gets fed, that saves the next guy after me from maybe having to shoot him because the jf gets aggressive going after "his" fish, you see, I'm really helping.:D

Now about your publix comparison lol, this makes me think you have never seen a jf eating because grandma is not what i think of. When they want to move those things can fly, i have a collection of bent shafts and a few are from bulls but most are jf. They can inhale a fish and shaft before you even see them coming then they suck the fish off and spit the rod out like a toothpick. It would be pretty amazing if it wasn't my 40 dollar spear they were jacking up.

See, isn't that better, a reasonable response so we can have an intelligent conversation about the subject.

Now about your publix comparison lol, this makes me think you have never seen a jf eating because grandma is not what i think of. When they want to move those things can fly, i have a collection of bent shafts and a few are from bulls but most are jf. They can inhale a fish and shaft before you even see them coming then they suck the fish off and spit the rod out like a toothpick. It would be pretty amazing if it wasn't my 40 dollar spear they were jacking up.

Well, the large lady on the utility cart I had to compete with today at Costco, was big enough to consume me and my strip steak and still want more :)

This has been fun, but I think I am going to step back from the conversation at this point...

Cheers,
Mike

I for one applaud your effort to inform with real science. I commend you for you patience. DV will never accept your science backed by research design and statistics, over his anecdotal observations unless it suits him.

BTW it was great video on the Discovery Channel the other night. We've been fishing that spot for years. The support wires from the bent mast are a real hook grabber.

Last edited:
Mmmmm it does look tasty, when i visit my friends in maui and san diego, octo salad is one of my faves. Haven't been able to snag a fl pus yet so i'll just stick to hogs. :D

2012-09-29 18.23.03.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom