Back Inflate vs. TransPac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cnoelle

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a new diver (only 6 OW dives) and I'm looking to get my own bc. I used a back inflate bc for my certification (which I liked) but have heard great things about the TransPac. I've been to a few LDS and have received conflicting opinions on what I should get as a newbie diver. I tried on the TransPac at one LDS and it felt really comfortable, although I haven't tried it in the water. If it helps, I'll be primarily diving in Southern California and Boston.

I'm looking at the following:

Aqualung Libra
Scubapro Ladyhawk
Aeris EX200 (recommended to me but online it looks a little...cheap?)
TransPac

Any thoughts/opinions would be welcome.

You might want to add a BP/W to that list. The cost is reasonable and I like having all that bulk on my back. There's lots of information on-line or at your LDS on how to set it up.

I'm saying this because I'd been diving for years and my second jacket style B/C bit the dust. I let a fast talking sales lady talk me into an expensive back inflate BC.

The next trip I saw the BP/W and wished I'd gone that way.

I know the transpac is like a BP/W but they are expensive. Plus if you use a steel plate, you can drop most of the weight. I even travel with the steel plate. At 6 pounds it's not that heavy but think about decreasing 6 pounds off your weights plus about 2 pounds for the extra "fluff" on the BC or Transpac.

Last edited:
A Transpac is a very nice rig but quite expensive. My wife chose a Transpac over a BP/W and then realized that was probably a costly mistake a couple years later. They are unnecessarily heavy and bulky in use and in your checked baggage.

Welcome cnoelle...

I own a TransPac, and it's a nice modular system. It can be thought of as somewhat of a hybrid between a BC and BP/W. You can swap out wings, and it's a relatively clean harness with minimal padding in the shoulders and lumbar.

That being said, I don't like it. While it trims out fine, the tank tends to roll much more than my other two rigs, even with the two cam bands. To me it feels like it got stuck deciding whether it wanted to be a rec or tech kit. And, on top of that, it's as or more expensive than many BC's once you add in the ditchable weight pockets, wing, etc.

That leaves a BP/W, of which you'll find many on this board feel there *is* no other option, and the BC. If the funds aren't an issue, and you're not going tech, or caving, then don't let anyone dissuade you from a BC, if that's what you feel most comfortable in. The difference is the BC has more padding (hell, it simply *has* padding), it typically has release points in the shoulder straps, it has a sternum strap, and it typically has integrated weight pockets.

As for your choices, I'm not crazy about Aeris BC's (but they make fabulous dive computers). The Libra is nice, but between that and the Ladyhawk, I think it's the Ladyhawk hands down. The men's BC counterpart to that, the Knighthawk, is one of the most well respected, workhorse BC's out there (among BC users).

Whatever you choose, good luck, and dive safe...

I have a transpac that I use when I dive an 80, it just trims out great for me and a BP/W I use with a 130. I like them both. I have a scubapro jacket BC, I like the way it provides extra lift on the surface. I'd suggest people try before they buy and find out what they like best.

I use a Transpac and I dive (dived:depressed: ) in Southern California.

I dig that outfit a lot. I must say that I've used the BPW (Dive Rite Transplate and Halcyon Infinity) more than the Transpac for SoCal or similar condition diving because I like the extra weight of the steel backplate. My Transpac is now my travel rig so that I don't have to haul extra weight and I can use it to dive warm water (warmer water, anyway) freshwater without getting too overweighted as with a steel plate.

So, for you, cnoelle, I'd suggest the BPW with steel plate for both SoCal and Massachussett diving. Sure, it's a bit heavy when you travel with it but the extra weight plus the way it distributes the extra weight will be nice for temperate/cold ocean diving.

I don't know where you're at in SoCal, but if you're near LA, go check out and rent a Halcyon BPW from Hollywood Divers. They also have Transpac for rent too.

Go BP/W or Transpac, though I prefer the first. So much more comfortable and maneuverable. Using a steel plate is a good way to get extra weight off your belt.

Being a new diver should have nothing to do with the decision. I think many LDS would like to sell new divers a nice expensive jacket style first, then something else when you are more "experienced" because that generates more profit.

First time I wore a BP/W marked the last time I ever wore a jacket style BC.

Thanks everyone for the input!

I'm now leaning in the direction of a BP/W based upon the general consensus on Scubaboard and from what I've heard from other divers. I live in the LA area so fnfalman, I think I'll take your suggestion and stop by Hollywood Divers for my next rental.

I've been diving the Aeris EX200 for about 7 months now. It's very nice and well built. It's not a jacket style, rather, more of a hybrid with back inflate and side pockets. Love to have me pockets!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom