Back inflation and beach diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After a few hours with this BC you'll be able to comfortably go back to that buddy and feel very confident with your back inflate BC option. I do about 90% shore diving and the very first thing I learned was less air! Second was drop the weight belt.

sergeantnic:
You are all such a vast black hole of knowledge I've got another for ya.

Decided to go with the Zeagle Brigade BC and I told a buddy of mine about the purchase at which time he says....

"We're going to be doing alot of beach diving and those things are hard to snorkel in, are you sure you want a back inflation"

I told him alot of people are using them and they seem to be the way to go.

So am I going to be alright with one of these or should I cancel my order and get a jacket style?

sergeantnic:
You are all such a vast black hole of knowledge I've got another for ya.

Decided to go with the Zeagle Brigade BC and I told a buddy of mine about the purchase at which time he says....

"We're going to be doing alot of beach diving and those things are hard to snorkel in, are you sure you want a back inflation"

I told him alot of people are using them and they seem to be the way to go.

So am I going to be alright with one of these or should I cancel my order and get a jacket style?
Some general advice ... whenever someone tells you something like that, ask them "why" ... it's a good way to discern whether they know what they're talking about or are just repeating what they heard or read from someone else ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I used back inflate for my classes but have been diving a jacket style I got used. I do prefer the back inflate as the trim is slightly better underwater (not by much though). They are both fine on the surface, provided you dont overweight or overinflate the BI.

Like most things it comes down to technique more than equipment. When I have to replace my BC it will be a back inflate, but I am in no rush until it wears out.

BabyDuck:
of course you can snorkel in back inflate bc's. just not bp/w's, you'll be mobbed and beaten up for your lunch money.

I was mobbed, but I still kept my lunch money. Isn't snorkeling a spectator sport?

DiveMe:
A back inflate should be BETTER for snorkeling than a jacket style...heck, the wing is behind you so when you lay down face first in the water, the wing is above you stabilizing you.

I did some beach diving last week in Maui in my Zena and had no problem surface swimming on my stomach or back. Go for the Brigade, you'll never regret it!

Most "jackets" have a back inflate component and when snorkeling unless it's pumped to the max there's probably little difference. My wifes DivaLX has a full blown mini wing and My Avid has back chambers that fill first according to physics.

When surface swiming face down the cylinder can be very noticable and there a backplate probably helps stabilize things a lot.

Pete

sergeantnic,

Yeah, as you've heard here, you can beach dive real well in a Zeagle BC, whether it's with a snorkel or on your back, like floating in a custom pool chair!

The only bad news I have for you is that beach diving on Florida's west coast, (my home too), pretty much bites!
Especially lately with months of dead fish from the red tide thrown in.

We tend to boat dive over here for the most part, and the diving and spearfishing is great!

In fact the St Pete Open spearfishing tournament is Sat the 20th, and you can expect to see over 250 competitors and the most awesome fish weigh-in you've ever seen!
See www.spearfishingspuc.org

Chad

I use a back inflate & most of my dives are beach dives in & around Montereay, CA. I use to swim out backwards, but for whatever reason I started using a snorkel. It works great, I'm able to keep my eye on things, & as long as keep my breathing under control no problems.

I'm pretty pleased with my oceanic chute 3.

The only thing I missed initially was the physical feeling of how much air I had in the bladder.

on the surface mine has a slight tendency to push me forward, but this can be remedied by messing with the weights and is really only a slight bother if I'm with students. It's not like I want to hang out up there anyway.

Because I'm cold-water and use lots of weight the integrated system can sometimes be a bit unpractical if diving off a zodiac - whole thing just gets hard to handle on a small boat.

I strap my tank low so the hoses don't put pressure on the bladder.

Beyond that it's a breeze.

Although I'm not quite an experianced diver, I really like my backinflated Genesis Tropic. We used the jacket style BC's in class and I did not like the feel of them. Especially when inflated on the surface, I'd get crushed. Also, I like how you can lounge around on your back, very little effort while surfaced. Come to think of it, I think I'll do that in my pool tonight, just float around on my back, maybe with a drink in hand... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom