Back Inflation BC is SUICIDE!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your instrructor is a moron and ignorant and does not know of what he speaks. Sorry for being so harsh but I have heard that same BS for about the last 20 years that I have been diving back inflate BCs. In the 80s I was refused to allow to dive with one on a charter boat. There are enough of us around now that most operators at least realize it is a viable option even if they don't understand. I suggest you fire your instructor and buy a wing type BC and backplate now. These things (back inflate BCs, wings etc) are not realy all that new, back type BC have been around in various forms from the beginning of the use of BCs. They will see jacket styles come and go, that is my prediction. N

I saw the title of the thread and came in ready to rip somebody....... and I have to admit I was a little disappointed that the person who needs the ripping isn't on the board :wink:

""Originally Posted by FredT
I've been diving for over 35 years. Of those I used a back inflate or wing for about 25 of those years. In that time I've come back to the cut end of an anchor line which resulted in a +20 mile swim back to the beach, been parylized by a neurotoxin at 160' and been "left at sea" out of contact with the boat a great many times for various reasons. Given a choice in all conditions I prefer a back inflate, preferably with a steel tank. The ~ 10 years I used a jacket was simply because I couldn't find a wing bladder until the DIR crowd started developing them. ""

Holy cow!!!!!!!!!! on another thread I was being diagnosed with BS for suggesting that I had made round trip dives from the beach of more than a mile. While my statement was slightly misunderstood I am glad to see there is another fellow around who can swim multiple miles in dive gear--in fact---you are the winner--hands down!!!!!!! I not only believe you, my hat is of to you sir!! N (and I can BS with the best too)
Yes, there was a dark period in which back BCs of any sort were very challenging to find and many shops would not order them, I never gave in to a jacket.
That is me on the right in c1968 in central Florida. N

SeaHound:
Who agrees / disagrees with this logic and why?

I've emperically tested this theory and it fails. If I put myself into a face down position and go limp, I get dragged over on my back. If I'm on my side, it rights me. I routinely find myself floating on my back on the surface waiting for gear issues, or class issues to get resolved -- sometimes for 20 or 30 mins. i just sit there and float on my back with no problems -- *and* I'm using negatively buoyant scubapro jetfins, which are almost like built-in ankle weights.

I use a negatively buoyant steel tank (E8-130) and a 5# steel backplate. Like I posted before, I had face-down issues due to buoyant AL80 tanks when I was diving those, but I also had head-up trim issues, too, so I wasn't using the BP/W right. When I started using the BP/W correctly, it dragged me over onto my back just fine. If you don't want to use a steel tank, try a tank weight or shift your weights around to your back.

If I ever had an _Open Water_ event in the ocean and needed to take a nap, I'd just inflate my drysuit and then it'd take a hurricane to get my mouth under water.

Don't believe the FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) people spread.

This sounds like a Fear of the Unknown issue. He doesn't know for sure, so his mind conjures up things to keep himself and others well away from the Unknown issue.

SeaHound:
SCENARIO A - If a diver looses consciousness underwater, his dive buddy inflates his BC he will rise up to the surface. If he has not dropped the reg from his mouth there is chance of him surviving - provided he is wearing a jacket style as that would keep his head way up the water once on surface. If he is wearing a back inflation nstead then the BC will keep his head tilted below the surface raging surface water will beat the reg away from his mouth and Guaranteed drowning!

SCENARIO B - If you get drifted away into the ocean (like the characters in the movie OPEN WATER) and you are stranded in the ocean for hours you would not want to be wearing a back inflation BC. Unless you deliberately float on your back the back inflation BC will kill you just like in scenario A!

A BC (jacket style, bp/w, back inflate, whatever) is NOT a life jacket. None of them are designed to be used by an unconscience person nor save your life. Your instructor can have their opinion but I've used a back inflate since I started diving (now a bp/w) and have never had a problem.

It's the whole "IF IT'S DIFFERENT IT's WRONG" attitude that a lot of people in this sport/hobby/passtime seem to have. Use whatever you feel comfortable using but know how to use it and know why you are using it...

jonnythan:
I saw the title of the thread and came in ready to rip somebody....... and I have to admit I was a little disappointed that the person who needs the ripping isn't on the board :wink:

Me too...I had all kinds of fun weapons out ready to maul the guy.

Just a point, an unresponsive diver will most likely NOT have an open airway on there own in most any scerino.....I was at a smaller LDS the other day and the owner/inst was going off about the mammilian dive reflex and how it keeps water out of peoples lungs for hours in cold water. I could have tried to explain but left instead.
Another vote for a different inst.

SeaHound:
SCENARIO A - If a diver looses consciousness underwater, his dive buddy inflates his BC he will rise up to the surface. If he has not dropped the reg from his mouth there is chance of him surviving - provided he is wearing a jacket style as that would keep his head way up the water once on surface. If he is wearing a back inflation nstead then the BC will keep his head tilted below the surface raging surface water will beat the reg away from his mouth and Guaranteed drowning!

So, the other problem with this scenario is that Rescue training (at least mine -- NAUI) teaches that you always dump your own buoyancy and do a controlled ascent while controlling both your buoyancy and the victim's buoyancy with the victim's BC. To just hammer on the victims inflator and hope for the best is not the best care that you can give, and is probably worthy of earning you a lawsuit if you are Rescue trained. This option A should never occur.

This instructor should not be an instructor.

lamont:
So, the other problem with this scenario is that Rescue training (at least mine -- NAUI) teaches that you always dump your own buoyancy and do a controlled ascent while controlling both your buoyancy and the victim's buoyancy with the victim's BC. To just hammer on the victims inflator and hope for the best is not the best care that you can give, and is probably worthy of earning you a lawsuit if you are Rescue trained. This option A should never occur.

It's so nice to see that you were paying attention ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom