Back Inflation BC is SUICIDE!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Furner:
as a widely respected and supported organization, PADI has the power to set the facts straight regarding back-inflate BCs. Some instructors dont even know the difference between the myths and facts of BI BCs, and therefor scare their students into never trying one, and then cause those students to continue to spread myths, and further, cause these students to also not trust a potential dive buddy who may use a BI BC. Personally, I experienced several misinformed divers on my recent boat dives, one individual was informed by his OW instructor that BI BCs are only for tech divers and they will cause many problems at the surface. I let this person try out my DR BP/W, and let them see that a properly configured, fitted, and utilized BI BC is no more dangerous than a jacket BC, and actually less dangerous when used properly.

I don't think it's PADI's roll to extol the virtues of a particular bit of gear. They teach students what BCD's are for and how to use them. End of story -- as it should be.

For the record, PADI does not mandate the type of BCD you are supposed to use in training. If a shop or instructor decides to teach in a Holgarthian rig then nothing is stopping them.

R..

Furner:
as a widely respected and supported organization, PADI has the power to set the facts straight regarding back-inflate BCs. Some instructors dont even know the difference between the myths and facts of BI BCs, and therefor scare their students into never trying one, and then cause those students to continue to spread myths, and further, cause these students to also not trust a potential dive buddy who may use a BI BC. Personally, I experienced several misinformed divers on my recent boat dives, one individual was informed by his OW instructor that BI BCs are only for tech divers and they will cause many problems at the surface. I let this person try out my DR BP/W, and let them see that a properly configured, fitted, and utilized BI BC is no more dangerous than a jacket BC, and actually less dangerous when used properly.

I don't really see this as a PADI issue, so much as an LDS issue ... at least, based on my observation that the PADI shops in our area sell more back-inflate BCDs than jacket-styles.

Regardless of agency affiliation, shops are going to promote the gear they sell. Unfortunately, some will resort to disinformation tactics to do so ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree that this is not strictly a PADI issue, if you believe it should be done at the agency level then all agencies should do it. I believe this is an issue, a rare one, of an un- or misinformed instructor combined with some LDS sales pressure.

"PADI should do something about the bad myths of back inflation BCs. They probably wont, but it needs to be addressed"

Not being a Padi person and having had much bad luck with Padi divers and operators I would prefer they mind their buisness (Padi that is) and instruct their students as they see fit and leave the non Padi world alone. I don't know if they ever had a policy per say but it is the Padi trained divers, shops, operators that I had the most problem with running back inflate BC down (your gonna die if you use that thing!!!), especially during the 80s when back inflate BCs were uncommon again mostly due to myth generated by said persons and agency but that is just my opinion. N

Speaking as one cynical diver to a few others...I also have to defend PADI (not for everything, but for this one issue). The type of BC used is not in any way shape or form anything that PADI would suggest, much less require. This is definitely a dumb instructor issue.

Yes, I'm a PADI diver, and believe me, I'll happily shoot them down for a few other things, but this ain't one of 'em.

SeaHound:
I love back inflation BC but my instructor advises against them very strongly.

Has your instructor ever tried a wing style BC? That would be my first question. If he has not then what the heck is he doing preaching from the pulpit about something he personally has not tried.

I would have to agree with many of the above replies, fire your instructor and get a more open minded one.

Paul.

I'm dead and didn't even know it........imagine that!!!!!!

Furner:
PADI should do something about the bad myths of back inflation BCs. They probably wont, but it needs to be addressed.

I learned to dive in a backmount BCD during a PADI course, and that was before it was ever called a wing, and it has nothing to do with the agency. PADI doenst have an opinion as to what type of bouyancy device you use, just like they dont care what color wetsuit you wear.

OneBrightGator:
I agree that this is not strictly a PADI issue, if you believe it should be done at the agency level then all agencies should do it. I believe this is an issue, a rare one, of an un- or misinformed instructor combined with some LDS sales pressure.

Heh,.. me thinks instructors & shops with an agenda aint so rare. lol.

In the few months that I've been diving, I've seen some scary practices.
It has only confirmed that the dive industry, like every other, is full of contrasting opinions and questionable motives. the good, the bad, AND the ugly.

But you're doing the right thing - GET A 2ND or 3RD OPINION (or in this case, a 20th).
Whether it's your car mech, your doctor, or you computer consultant - GET A SECOND OPINION.

Don't just believe them when they say you NEED a Cochran Commando 9000-XJS Turbo dive computer, even though you've barely finished OW class and have NO IDEA what kind of diving you'll be doing yet.

And when they steer you to the most expensive dive package in the store. Ask them to compare the features with less expensive rigs in the store and LAFF at them when they reply, "well how much IS your life worth to you?"

As a matter of fact... do me a favor - just rent. Or borrow. As much as you can.
Go to every LDS in your area and rent every different style you can get your hands on before buying. Go on dive trips to resorts and rent theirs too! Join the dive club and buy someone a nice dinner if they'll swap with you for one dive so you try theirs out too.

Because it doesn't matter what us, or the salesman, or your instructor tells you.
What's going to matter is how YOU like it and use it.

* Does someone have published stats on how many dive packages are bought by ecstatic new divers fresh out of OW class and then wind up on ebay 6 months later? Just thinking of friends, I know of 2 already. It's like pets.. you know how many $1,000 aquarium setups I've seen in garage sales for $200? *

CRA2 wrote:

"And when they steer you to the most expensive dive package in the store. Ask them to compare the features with less expensive rigs in the store and LAFF at them whey reply, "well how much IS your life worth to you?""

And then ask them if it's so important to use the most expensive gear in order to preserve your life, then why do they conduct their training in the least expensive gear available.

Back
Top Bottom