Back Plate: Aluminum or Stainless??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

giles45shop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I'm a newly certified diver and I'm pretty sure I want to go the BP&W's route. My diving will be almost entirely FL Gulf(Tampa area) and FL Springs/Lakes split about 50% with once a year trips to the carribean.

Currently, I've been diving a 2 mm shorty, with jacket BC and Al 80. I'm using 13 lbs of weight for freshwater. In the future I'll probably be using a single HP steel 80, Al 80 (have one of each) or larger steel. I may eventually go to a farmer john, but I don't plan to go to a dry suit. Twins are possible a long ways down the road.

I've been doing lot's of research, and getting ready to purchase a back plate. I'm concerned that with a steel plate (6-7 lbs) and steel tank that I won't have much ditchable weight. I'm thinking that Aluminum would be a better choice, I could always add weight.

Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Aluminum, no question about it if you are going to travel.

However, you might want to look at a Koplin dogbone travel plate.

My feeling is that you will start to also use much less weight as you gain experience.

You will be able to drop a few pounds just from switching from jacket BC to BHW.

Best of luck.

Does anyone know what a std aluminum plate weights ? a ss one weights 6lb

Google is your friend.

Here are the Halcyon specs. Disclaimer: I sell Halcyon and Oxycheq.

The stainless backplate is .125 (+/- .005) Stainless #304, with a 2B finish, .500 Temper Hardness, weighing 5.14 lbs. plain, and 6.02 lbs. with straps. Aluminum backplate features a military spec hardcoating and weighs 1.75 lbs. plain.

I was able to use a steel plate and steel tank with a wetsuit for a while, now my bodyfat is quite a bit lower and I need to spring for aluminum.

The answer to the question is "Aluminum first, probably both eventually."

giles45shop:
Hi All,

I'm a newly certified diver ....

Currently, I've been diving a 2 mm shorty, with jacket BC and Al 80. I'm using 13 lbs of weight for freshwater.

Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Chances are that as you gain more experience, you will decrease your weight need. I would estimate that your current need for 13 lb will drop down to something on the order of 4 to 6 lb as you get more comfortable and develop more control of your breathing and bouyancy.

I'm a pretty big guy with my fair share of body fat, and I use a 1/4 inch Al plate with a little trim weight near the shoulders. I figure it weighs about 6 lb which still leaves me a copu[ple lbs heavy in FS with a 3mm shorty. In warm SW no neoprene, I wear 2 lbs of ditchable weigh.

So, I would suggest the Al plate and you may find you will be better off with Al tanks as well.

Thanks for all the great info! I suspected that I would tend to drop some weight as I gained more experience and I was also worried about the issue of becoming negatively buoyant. Sounds like it's aluminum for me!

I guess the next question is manufacturer's? I know Halcyon, Dive Rite, Fred T, and OMS all make Al plates. I don't believe that Oxycheq (Koplin) makes an Al plate. Any others out there I should be looking at. So far, it looks like Dive Rite Express has the best deal, with a plate, regular harness and STA for $179. I'm probably going to get the wing separate from the back plate, as my funds are somewhat limited. When I save a few more $'s I'll be looking at an Explorer, Eclipse, Oxycheq or Dive Rite single wing. I've been keping my eyes open on the gear exchanges and e-bay for used stuff, as I figure there's not much that can wear out on a plate and harness.

Thanks again for all the great help, I've learned a lot in a very short period of time!

John

Back
Top Bottom