Back to Nursery School: Spending a day in Coral Restoration Foundation's Nursery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Many of you who know me, know that I love to volunteer. I simply love to give of my time and it's even sweeter when I get to combine volunteerism with Scuba! So, when I was asked by Ashley to help out on a nursery dive for the Coral Restoration Foundation, I dove at the chance. Everyone was talking how cold the water was, so I brought my 3 mil shorty. After all, it's the Keys, so how chilly could it get? Sure we were bringing lunch and planning on three dives, so I brought a light vest too... you know, just in case. Luckily the water was 77oF so I didn't need anything but a bathing suit. I love living in the Keys!

Our host for this dive was the Coral Reef Park Company. You know, they're the ones who operate inside of John Pennekamp Park at MM 102.2 Oceanside. Click on their name to go to their web site or call (305) 451-6322. Erik is the manager and he came out to help. Dan was our Captain and Drew was our First Mate. It's always a fairly roomy boat, but with less than 10, it was positively spacious. Quick too, and we were in the nursery within a half an hour. Kudos to them for donating their resources like this. It makes Coral Restoration's job that much easier! Also on the trip were Kell, Joe, Bob, Daryl, Ashtyn, CRF Intern Iris, CRF Intern Kristin and we were all led by CRF's Manager of Dive Operations, Pam. We met at the dock at 9:30, had our safety brief and were on our way. Seas were a vicious 6 inches and the day was seasonably perfect. We could not have asked for a better day, and as we tied off, you could almost make out the eye color of the fish swimming on the bottom. It was beautiful and so apropos that the boat we were diving off of was called the Visibility!

Don't let the picture perfect conditions fool you, though. This was a working dive. I brought my camera on the first dive. Took maybe a half dozen pictures and left it on the boat for the second dive. On the third dive, I made it my mission to chronicle the activities. All of us had already had training in the class room for what we were going to do. We had four things to accomplish; frag coral, clean trees, populate a new tree, and fill in holes on existing trees. We were working in the K2 area. That was the second genome collected by Ken Nedimyer, the original Lorax for the Coral. I got to clean Tree K2-5. Be sure to swim by in awe if you are ever in the vicinity! :D Anyway, here's a bunch of pics of us going back to Nursery School:

CoralRestorationJan212015_1_.JPG

Swimming among the trees. You can see the empty one waiting for us.

CoralRestorationJan212015_15_.JPG

Pam shows us how to frag (fragment) coral. Yeah, yeah, we know we aren't supposed to touch the coral, but here we are cutting it all up! Woot! Isn't great to be Coral Restoration Gangsta?

CoralRestorationJan212015_19_.JPG

Everyone getting in on fragging corals.

CoralRestorationJan212015_24_.JPG

An eel playing peek-a-boo. Lots of critters hiding all over the place!

CoralRestorationJan212015_26_.JPG

The nursery sits in a desert. There's only sand all around us, but because of Ken, there's a lot of corals starting to grow in here.

CoralRestorationJan212015_2_.JPG

The newest Coral Tree is getting newly fragged coral hung on it. Give it a year or so and these corals will be ready to be planted on the reefs of the Upper Keys.

Last edited:
CoralRestorationJan212015_4_.JPG

There's room for more than one when creating a coral tree.

CoralRestorationJan212015_32_.JPG

We need a lot of frags, so a Hog Fish swims in to help.

CoralRestorationJan212015_30_.JPG

Eric getting his frag on!

CoralRestorationJan212015_5_.JPG

Peak Performance Hanging! A new Scuba Specialty!

CoralRestorationJan212015_33_.JPG

More fish getting in on the act! These fish are pets and are not in danger in the nursery.

CoralRestorationJan212015_35_.JPG

A loop of monofiliment is put around the frag.

CoralRestorationJan212015_36_.JPG

A CRF intern crimps the sleeve so it won't slip.​

CoralRestorationJan212015_39_.JPG

The larger corals at the bottom become our brood stock.

CoralRestorationJan212015_41_.JPG

To hang a coral: Pick a spot and thread the mono through it, bottom to top.

CoralRestorationJan212015_42_.JPG

Slide on a crimp sleeve. It's made of aluminum, so it won't rust.

CoralRestorationJan212015_44_.JPG

Firmly crimp, but don't cut the sleeve!

CoralRestorationJan212015_45_.JPG

A happy diver who loves his work!

CoralRestorationJan212015_46_.JPG

Daryl gets a helping hand!

CoralRestorationJan212015_48_.JPG

Pam keeps a watchful eye on all of us.​

A Boy Scout troop has just started one of these off shore from Puerto Aventuras within the past couple of years. We've dove it twice, about twelve months apart, and you can just barely see any progress until you get close up and see the new polyps on the ends of the stalks.

What a wonderful way to give back.

Thanks for the post and the great pictures!

CoralRestorationJan212015_54_.JPG

Kell 'Da Wimp' Levendorf from Divers Direct cleans a tree. (I was just diving in my bathing suit)

CoralRestorationJan212015_55_.JPG

Kell Levendorf brushes up on his cleaning skills. Look at that crud fly!

CoralRestorationJan212015_60_.JPG

Joe O'Keefe concentrates on getting the job done!

CoralRestorationJan212015_63_.JPG

Joe O'Keefe is an independent Scuba Instructor here in the Keys and is well respected by students and colleagues.

CoralRestorationJan212015_67_.JPG

What nursery is complete without a puffer???

CoralRestorationJan212015_71_.JPG

What nursery is complete without schools of fish? These corals are ready to be planted. When are you coming to help?

CoralRestorationJan212015_69_.JPG

I feel guilty. I'm playing around taking pictures while Pam takes out the trash. She sets an example with her hard work.

CoralRestorationJan212015_78_.JPG

We're coming to the end of our third dive today and there's still a lot to do. We obviously need your help, and I mean dollars as well as time.

CoralRestorationJan212015_52_.JPG

A startled intern looks at me with a wary eye.

CoralRestorationJan212015_53_.JPG

But soon she's back to work.

CoralRestorationJan212015_73_.JPG

There's a lot to see here in the nursery and some mighty large fish too! Please remember: they're pets!

CoralRestorationJan212015_87_.JPG

Sometimes it's good to get into a scrape!

CoralRestorationJan212015_90_.JPG

K2-5: the Coral Tree I cleaned.

CoralRestorationJan212015_92_.JPG

Hard at work.

CoralRestorationJan212015_93_.JPG

A tired Kell Levendorf swimming back to the boat

Very cool. I would :heart: to help..

Great pics and info, Pete! Now that we live in FL, I'd love to get involved in the coral reef restoration. I'll go to their website to see how to make it happen! look

Coral Restoration Foundation is doing wonderful things here in the Keys and now world wide. I shot this video a little while ago on the big nursery.

[video=vimeo;77644345]http://vimeo.com/77644345[/video]

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom