Back up Air Supply?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or sometimes just two 40's​
twin_40_s.jpg

OP.... I would steer clear of the Spare Air system, it is really not the right redundant gas delivery system for an OOG situation. A more traditional pony bottle slung during single cylinder back gas rec. dives is the proper way to go regardless of a 'buddy' or not

I'm very glad everything turned out well. When diving in cold water it's always a good idea to have a redundant air supply. It's also important to tune up your hand singles and be well versed in air sharing.

Don't mess with a spare air. IMO they're crap. Go with either a 30 or 40 cf pony bottle. I sling one but you can also attach it to your main tank. Another eventual option is doubles. I've recently moved to doubles in preparation for technical diving. I'll use a single with a pony occasionally, but if it's really cold or deep I'll always prefer doubles.

I started out slinging a 13, but that is before I knew better. I am unsure what I'd do now as I haven't a dive without doubles in probably 2 years. I'm doing some warm water vacation diving this month and they just offer singles so have been trying to consider my options. I can possibly rent a 40, and that may be my only option.

If you are looking for a bail out bottle that can travel, the CF19 is a very good compromise. It's enough air to get to the surface from any rec depth, generally with a SS. It will travel well, and is a non-issue as far as balance and weight.

Anything bigger is certainly more useful for many things, but as a strict bail bottle, the 19CF is what you need.

Back
Top Bottom