Backplates: FredT vs S&W Metal vs Koplin vs AUL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mleong once bubbled...
I will be using my 45lb Ranger wing.

Then you are going to have to do some customizations to attach it. Either that or buy the Zeagle backplate.

James

Done some pricing research. Looks like S&W Metal is the cheapest of all. Any comment.

So the cheapest equals the best one for you? good luck on that.

Backplates

One thing I would look for in any backplate that would be used for single tank diving is slots for the straps to hold the tank. Most frequently the straps are Octogrips although on one of my plates I have Scubapro tank straps.

A Single Tank Adapter will hold the tank further from the body which makes it more difficult to get to your valve (you do want to reach your valve, don't you, like right after the DM has mistakenly shut it off just before you jump in the water).

An STA will also hold the tank further off your body and increases the distance from your center of gravity making for a less stable system.

A second item would be the finish of the plate, have the strap slots been deburred and filed down or did they leave sharp edges which will slice into the straps.

Choosing an Al or SS plate will all depend on the thermal protection you will be wearing and the tank(s) you will be wearing.

For SoCal drysuit diving I normally wear a SS plate although with double 104s I will
switch into a AL plate.

Marc Hall
www.enjoythedive.com

gbrandon,
Would you like to elaborate a bit more on your comments? I welcome opinions from all views. Based on the info from S&W websites, the backplate SEEMS good quality to me. Please Share.

Thanks

Michael

First time I dived with a BP it was SS and I needed only one small weight to allow me to decend.

I ended up buying the AL plate instead as I wanted more of the weight to be ditchable.

I now have integrated weight pockets that are bolted tothe BP and the belt webbing runns thru the weight pocket.

Choosing between the SS or AL? Think about the weight you need, the type of diving overhead vs. open water, ditchable or not.

Good luck,
=-)

Deciding on a supplier of BP?
I looked at FredT and Halcyon, and the price to ship a FredT to Singapore was going to cost almost the same to get a Halcyon from here.

So I went with the Haycyon as it was a lot less hassle and I could try one one here and even take one on a dive trip to test out.

=-)

mleong once bubbled...
gbrandon,
Would you like to elaborate a bit more on your comments? I welcome opinions from all views. Based on the info from S&W websites, the backplate SEEMS good quality to me. Please Share.

Thanks

Michael

I know nothing of any of the brands you mentioned. My post was simply to state my opinion that the cheapest does not equal the best, and in most cases, even the mediocre. Im by no means rich, but price is the LAST thing I look at.

Back
Top Bottom