Backplates: FredT vs S&W Metal vs Koplin vs AUL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I notice that the AUL and Koplin BPs have the lower corners bent outward slightly. I assume this is to relieve some of the pressure at the corners. Does this help? I am strictly a warm water diver so I don't wear much thermal protection.

BTW the links you have listed for Koplin and AUL are the same.
The link for AUL is:

http://www.aul-inc.com/Htm_Files/AUL_Info-main.htm

Thanks for the info.

Bob C.

"BTW the links you have listed for Koplin and AUL are the same.
The link for AUL is:"

Oops, my mistake. Cut and paste the wrong link. Thanks for the corection, BobC

After checking out many backplates, (Halcyon, Dive Rite, OMS, AUL, FredT, Koplin, Abyss, Zeagle, and more), I had decided to get the one made by S&W Metal Works and the 30# Oxycheq Wing. I like the handle slot on the Backplates better.

Michael

The S&W plates are a tremendous value. The fabrication and finishing are excellent and the price is very competitive . I notice on their website they including shipping in their price now and they also offer an aluminum plate which they didn't a couple of years ago.
My first plate was a Fred T. It is a nice plate also. I gave that one to my son. I just prefer the S&W.

The free shipping on the S&W backplates was actually noted on the price list they faxed me not on their website. They also have the aluminum backplates listed on that sheet which they don't even mention on their web page.

Hop Devil once bubbled...
The S&W plates are a tremendous value. The fabrication and finishing are excellent and the price is very competitive . I notice on their website they including shipping in their price now and they also offer an aluminum plate which they didn't a couple of years ago.
My first plate was a Fred T. It is a nice plate also. I gave that one to my son. I just prefer the S&W.

Is the large hand hold on the S&W plate with its pointed finger contours a potential chafing hazard for the wing?

I never noticed any chafing on either of my wings from the S&W Handholds. They are actually well rounded. I know they offer them without the handholds also because I have one of their aluminum plates and it dosen't have the handholds. I just prefer the handholds because they're a lot easier to pick up when you don't have a wing on. It's all personal preference as to what you like I guess.

Hop Devil:
I never noticed any chafing on either of my wings from the S&W Handholds. They are actually well rounded. I know they offer them without the handholds also because I have one of their aluminum plates and it dosen't have the handholds. I just prefer the handholds because they're a lot easier to pick up when you don't have a wing on. It's all personal preference as to what you like I guess.

I ordered the SS backplate sometimes last year and they just have the Al plate out for sale. But it was too late to order it with the SS. It might not reach to me here in Malaysia in time.

michael

Bob C:
I notice that the AUL and Koplin BPs have the lower corners bent outward slightly. I assume this is to relieve some of the pressure at the corners. Does this help? I am strictly a warm water diver so I don't wear much thermal protection.

Bob C.

Just got a Koplin BP and STA - clean, very clean!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom