Info Backscatter Hybrid Flash HF-01: preliminary review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nicool

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi Scubaboard,
I had a chance to use a pre-production version of the Backscatter Hybrid Flash in January, I've put my observations and thoughts together in this review:

Looks awesome.
Does look pretty awesome, maybe I'll be selling my MW4300, and Inon D200.

Have a canon camera and it seems no ttl option
I read they may be addressing this

There is a TTL option mentioned. I hope it’ll work well with an Olympus TG-7 in TTL.

I guess Cannon TTL is different:

“Smart Control TTL Flash Power for Sony, Olympus, & OM System Cameras” 🤔

It does seem Canon is left out for the moment. But shooting manual isn't all bad. Just have to dial in that first decent exposure - and this is a far cry from Ye Olde Photog Stuff of guide numbers, ASA, estimating distances and the like.

Looks very interesting and definitely will be my first choice when buying new strobes especially considering the very competitive price. My only concern is that this is a first generation/version and it may have issues like its younger siblings, the Mini Flash 1 and (I think) the earlier production Mini Flash 2.

The announced HF-1 strobe looks very good, maybe too good to be true when price/performance is regarded...

I am highly inclined to preorder two, as I am searching for strobes with more power as my current Z330s have, which come to their limits in bright sunlight and clear waters with the FF sensor (Sony A7R5; for the MFT cameras I was using previously, the Z330s were strong enough). The choice in filters/domes for warming up the light and the remote operation without additional flash trigger seem also attractive...

There is another, similar, strobe announced: the Apollo III from Marelux. The Apollo has three linear flashtubes (HF-1 has two), uses three 18650 accus (= 136 kJoule (kW.s) in total) while the HF-1 uses two 21700 accus (=137 kJoule). Apollo III delivers 800 flashes at maximum power (=170 Joule/flash), while the HF-1 delivers 375 (=366 Joule/flash). These numbers are probably somewhat smaller, since the flashes will probably stop operation before the entire power is drawn from the batteries, but they may be a good approximation...

=> >350 W.s per flash (at 2x power) is highly exciting, but is the heat sink capable enough to prevent burn-out of the flashtubes?

=> Does someone here have experience with preproduction versions of Apollo III and could compare to the HF-1?

Thanks, Wolfgang

Back
Top Bottom