Bad Gear or Bad Luck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for all your tips reguarding equipment maintenance. I already do follow most of them to include spraying the inflator with silicone after cleaning it.
The EGDE manufacturer made the following comment which struck a nerve, and has some truth.
It seems that when we have people bring the issue to a public forum such as this FIRST without contacting us that there is ALWAYS something being left out of the narrative.
On two seperate occassions I called the manufacturer to discuss issues I had with the wing and was basically dismissed by the person I spoke with. I sent an E-Mail about the spg and never received a response. Yet I continually read positive comments about customer service. Maybe I just needed to vent.

What kind of silicone are you spraying it with? I hope it's not an industrial grade. And when was the last time the excess was cleaned off and the orings replaced? Some silicones are not good for rubber o rings.

What kind of silicone are you spraying it with? I hope it's not an industrial grade. And when was the last time the excess was cleaned off and the orings replaced? Some silicones are not good for rubber o rings.

I use McNett silicone spray. This product was recommended when I took my master diver class. I spray with the silicone continue with my maintenance then go back and wipe everything down. I usually waite a day or two and wipe everything down again. I change the o rings once a year. I do the same maintenance on my dive rite doubles rig and have never had any problems.

I wish my bc would stay hard for more than 6 hrs check op valve and other plastic thou bag parts for leaks easy fix for about 20 to 40$ change out inflator hog is very good gear and a very very good comp.

---------- Post added February 20th, 2013 at 05:49 PM ----------

the amount of dive time lost to very small leaks is not much

Wow event that i am not a hog owner the answer from hog on this thread was great. They care for the customer, i might change to hog in the future.

Over lubrication creates just as many problems as under lubrication. Excessive lubrication can cause premature degradation of o-rings as well as attract dirt crud and corruption to mated surfaces.

As a rule of thumb if you can see the lubricant then you have to much. It's good you wipe the excess away after a day, but really you should wipe the excess off immediately. Just like using glue more is not necessarily better when it comes to lubrication.

Cheers,
CD

PS You have no idea how hard it is not to throw a Yo Momma joke into this reply :wink:

I wish my bc would stay hard for more than 6 hrs

I hear if it stays hard for more the 4 hours you should consult a doctor.

Last edited:
Vinny have you disassembled the wing and inflated it outside of the cordura cover? You can do that. If you have ever disassembled the wing, it is possible that something is cross threaded. Something could be obstructing a seal, etc. follow through on the maintenance. I have a 32lb wing and use the hell out of it. I have a schrader valve that has backed out and I've been too lazy to get a tool. I get a little 'extra air' in my wing.

Regarding the SPG, I wasn't clear if you bought it new. If not, this might be why the it was sold ing the first place. Sounds like the SPG got flooded, you can't fix that.

From personal experience, and no BS, edge took care of my issue in a fast and efficient manner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I purchased several pieces of HOG gear based on the great reviews, on this forum, and good pricing. Unfortunately my experience with this equipment has not been what I expected. The HOG gear that I have is an aluminum backplate with the 32# wing and a 2 1/2" white faced SPG. The SPG has a 300 psi
difference as compared to the tank pressure gauge at my LDS as well as other spg's that I own. This gauge is not new but much older gauges that I have are more accurate. The 32# wing, well..., The bladder doesn't stay inflated. It will deflate in about 6 hours. My doubles wing has been inflated for over a month and shows no signs of loosing air. The inflator valve has had 2 issues. On a trip to St. Croix it was leaking air. The shop I was diving with replaced some O rings and solved that problem. The second problem occured while drift diving in Florida when the inflator malfunctioned by filling the wing with air.
The SPG is now a paper weight and if I use the B/P-wing, it is only for shallow beach dives. I have not read of other divers having these issues and I wonder if it is bad luck, or some faulty gear.

I'm going with bad gear, not bad luck. So many people love their HOG because it's cheap. Hey I like cheap too. Unfortunately as I always suspected, it's cheap for a reason. After bad experiences, I stuck with my major brands. And yes, I'm biased because I had bad experiences, but I also went in with very high hopes and an open mind. The funny thing is I still hear people at dive site who love HOG say stuff like, "I love my reg, you just have to tighten the top with an allen wrench from time to time because the IP creeps." Literally what a guy told us two weekends ago. Oddly enough, that crap doesn't happen with any of my not cheap regs. There's tons of posts about similar issues all over the forums.

Back
Top Bottom