Bad Gear or Bad Luck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Selling parts to someone does not mean they are "disreputable". The diver may have a tech willing and able to service it near them that they want to use. It is not up to the dealer to determine that. Hence the fact that myself, DRIS, TDL, Pirahna, etc have them available for them to buy. I trust that the people that buy them are smart enough to make the decision for themselves. Not play nanny to them.

Calling us disreputable is repugnant and unfair. As well as totally false.

And by the way dealers for ScubaPro, Oceanic, Aqualung, and other brands will sell kits to divers as well. But they are not authorized to. I know this because I have bought them and except for Oceanic am not an authorized tech for those lines. I don't consider them disreputable either. But I guess others would for treating me like an informed, intelligent, and capable individual. Again unfair, repugnant, and a lie.

They are just doing business.

Jim you did answer the question: Would you sell parts to that guy or not?
How many Instructor, Dive Center and training agency have you done the same way? You complain about a dealer selling a 800 regulator which won't get you kill or injured but ( I'm not saying it true but you are implying it from your statement) whereas sell service kit to unqualified people who service their own gear can kill or injure themselves or their loved ones.

Last thing by your own admission you said most divers don't have a clue and that why you wrote a book.

Fixed it for ya. You had some things wrong.... :)

---------- Post added March 1st, 2013 at 03:16 PM ----------
I have to give you a smile face for that one.:D

Know what? the fact that you seem to dislike my business model and make snide comments regarding the source of my gear is funny as heck.

Let me tell you why. You see, earlier you listed where stuff is made, some you identified as made in the US, some of those even say they are US made when in fact they aren't. They LIED to you, their dealers and the consumer.

I was standing in both Aqualung and Oceanic California plants watching them assembling first and second stage, testing and boxing them for shipment. Zeagle almost went bankrupt making a regulator plant for themselves after losing the Apeks line.

I never said I did like your business model, My main thing is that you said in another thread a regulator service center could not service regulator but any unqualified guy who could get the parts could.
I do have to admit that it is not as bad as it used to be.

Why do brands offer a private class to some and not everyone? Why do they tell their dealers only dealers can attend and then offer private classes?

So basically you are swallowing whole lies and holding them up as some kind of standard while slamming me for being upfront and treating divers and my dealers with respect. That's funny.

And that's not true on dealers only several of the manufactures under special circumstances allow none dealers to attend the courses.

This is what edge/hog said: EDGE/HOG does NOT sell parts to end users. EDGE and HOG dealers are permitted to sell parts. EDGE /HOG recommends that parts are only sold to those with formal training in regulator repair.

Jim I think you misunderstood me if they have the training selling of the parts are fine. On your post 22 would you want that guy buying parts and servicing his own gear? I think not.

I do know a few that will give a private service class and they have.

I will. :wink:

What is so hard to understand? Any item the mfg permits me to sell I will. It is not up to me to determine whether or not they are qualified to service their own reg. They may have a qualified tech willing and able to do it. I treat people like intelligent adults. Not like children. I do make it clear that regs should be serviced by qualified individuals. But that is up to the customer to insure that is done.
Same as buying brakes for a car. Autozone doesn't ask me who's doing the work.
Going back and reading your post I guess you do understand as you state that I answered the question. So maybe this post was a waste of time.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I realize that arriving at this party late means I've missed most of the fun, but in answer to the OP's original question: I'd say either bad luck, or a more likely choice but not offered, bad maintenance/usage.

I have a small number of HOG regs, and assorted other gear. Everything has performed as expected and has not let me down. I had a minor issue with a back-up mask strap... operator error. The regs perform side-by-side with the SP Mk25s and Mk17s I have in my OC kit. There are a couple of very small things I would change in the design of the first-stage for the sake of hose routing, but the same can be said for the ScubaPro stuff.

Last thing by your own admission you said most divers don't have a clue and that why you wrote a book.

I'm quite familiar with Jim's book, and his premise is not that most divers don't have a clue (which would imply that they are stupid people, which he doesn't believe), but that there may be gaps in their training of which they are unaware. The book attempts to fill in those gaps.

In any event, a book on diving is irrelevant in a discussion on equipment repair. Servicing a regulator is not diving, any more than replacing the brakes on your car is driving.

I never said I did like your business model, My main thing is that you said in another thread a regulator service center could not service regulator but any unqualified guy who could get the parts could.

Strange, I don't recall saying that. I want people to be trained to service gear, that's why I worked with TDI to make the repair class available thru my dealers.

Hog is made in china I believe by ODS. Atomic, Aqualung, Zeagle, Oceanic are made in the USA and Apex is made in England and the pound is worth more than the dollar.

*Ahem* actually I think if you dig a little deeper you'll find that all of those brands are manufactured in China or Taiwan. Some might be assembled in North America, but sub assemblies are made overseas. :)

---------- Post added March 6th, 2013 at 07:49 PM ----------

This is what edge/hog said: EDGE/HOG does NOT sell parts to end users. EDGE and HOG dealers are permitted to sell parts. EDGE /HOG recommends that parts are only sold to those with formal training in regulator repair.
J
That's right EDGE/HOG manufacturing does not deal in the retail sales of their products. They leave that to their distributors.

*Ahem* actually I think if you dig a little deeper you'll find that all of those brands are manufactured in China or Taiwan. Some might be assembled in North America, but sub assemblies are made overseas. :)

---------- Post added March 6th, 2013 at 07:49 PM ----------

Since you know so much lets take a oceanic regulator what sub-assemblies are made in the US and which ones are made in taiwan?

*That's right EDGE/HOG manufacturing does not deal in the retail sales of their products. They leave that to their distributors.

That not what I was saying or implying you need to re-read it.

That not what I was saying or implying you need to re-read it.

Actually that is exactly what you said. Then you went on the offensive about 'disreputable' dealers that would dare sell the parts to people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom