Bad news, then good news about DAN equipment insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the update, its good to get as much information on this as possible. I too will be looking at this when my enewal date comes up (next month I think), and for that thank you for bringing to our attention.

Glad it worked out for you. Persistence does bear fruit "Sometimes".
Enjoy the replacement gear.
Larry

I'm glad they are going to pay the claim. It was the right thing for them to do. But it was total damage control on their part. I am sure that they were concerned about the bad publicity on the net. Before the internet only a handful of your dive buddies would have heard about this. Now tens of thousands of people know what happened. That is huge.

DAN did not "do the right thing."

They did the thing to keep their butts from being fried by an insurance commission, and possibly losing the ability to write insurance in your state.

They knew full well and good that your policy date predated the change in THEIR rules and declarations, and tried to screw you anyway.

Genesis:
DAN did not "do the right thing."

They did the thing to keep their butts from being fried by an insurance commission, and possibly losing the ability to write insurance in your state.

They knew full well and good that your policy date predated the change in THEIR rules and declarations, and tried to screw you anyway.

Absolutely. This company tried to get away without honoring its contract. They knew your policy was beforew the "change". But the power of internet, and Rodales, their dirty laundry was expose and damage control purpose they decided to pay before this news spread further. Imagine other victims who do not report to Rodale's and do not have access to internet message board......

Well you know what they're saying id complete Bull*****, and ONLY brought on because of the public backlash that they're now feeling.

I'm glad for you, but we shouldn't forget what they TRIED (and would have succeeded if you had not brought this up) to do to you.

They're still Bastard$ in my book. They did it on purpose and we know it. They tried to screw you out of a legitimate claim.

Punks.

Score one for public forums!!!!

Congrats boys :)

I'd say you got lucky with a good insurance rep. That makes all the difference. If you get a rep that actually cares about customers vs. ones that just do their job, it's amazing how fast and efficiently things get done. Unfortunately, they aren't a dime a dozen.

On a side note, what options do we have for non-DAN insurance? I've been putting off my insurance for a while now, but had planned on picking some up this summer. I thought DAN was the end-all, be-all, (and only) insurance option we had.

I wouldn't buy their equipment insurance for one cent after this fiasco, and I'm not entirely certain I want their DIVE insurance any more either.

If they tried this garbage while I was sitting in a chamber, I might not be able to post here and on Rodales.....

I would not go so far as to dump my DAN medical emergency insurance as some of you have been pondering. I do make a very clear distinction between the medical insurance and the equipment insurance. In all that I have read and heard first hand, the medical insurance is first rate without question. The equipment insurance however is in my observation, a side line or added feature to the DAN medical insurance and appears to not measure up to what has become expected from DAN.

DAN's equipment insurance is independent of DAN...I'd have no issue what so ever of keeping my diving insurance. I don't own equipment that is terribly expensive to replace (yet) so I've yet to look into this much more than that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom