Bailout gas expiration date

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone do bailout ascent practice then, or just simulate shallower with cheaper gas?
My normoxic instructor course final dive was a full bailout from 60m. Still ended up with half an AL80 of 18/45 left afterwards, joys of a shallow GF. Opening that tank to empty for the next fill was ...heartbreaking, though not that expensive all things considered. If it was 10/80 or such I suspect I'd have found a booster PDQ.

Does anyone do bailout ascent practice then, or just simulate shallower with cheaper gas?
At this point I just use cheaper 32% although I probably practice less than I should. I bailed from 190ft once, it was like doing an OC dive to me and just a waste of money.

My normoxic instructor course final dive was a full bailout from 60m. Still ended up with half an AL80 of 18/45 left afterwards, joys of a shallow GF. Opening that tank to empty for the next fill was ...heartbreaking, though not that expensive all things considered. If it was 10/80 or such I suspect I'd have found a booster PDQ.
35cf of 18/45? That's a couple of dil fills

ideally - this is important to practice.
reality - no one likes to spend helium and not everyone have access to a booster

but must be practiced sometimes - crap will happen need to be ready.

Matan.

I usually schedule a bailout drill from 100ft with simulated deco on the first day of the class using air as bottom bailout. I suppose if I was concerned about stale gas in my bailouts I might re-think that plan :wink:

Bailout and do SCR ascends as often as you can. Gas costs are quite small compared to medical bills or funeral.

Back
Top Bottom