Bare 7 MM Artic suit and vest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WallDiver77:
What's the difference between the Bare Artic and Velocity.... for those that have dove these?

As far as i know Bare doesn't make the Arctic suits anymore, the velocity replaced them. They are slightly different in design and materials, but both function well. You can probably still find some arctic suits out there, but like i said, i think they have been discontinued. I have used both models and like them both. You would not be disappointed with either suit.

I would suggest a 7mm full suit and a 7mm hooded vest for the temps you mentioned. if you are warm, you can always ditch the vest. Take a look at www.divetank.com for the bare suits.

I don't have much experience with akona, but i have heard good things about them.

Good luck.

Bare still makes the Arctic ... http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/product_list.aspx?id=169 ... they no longer make the SGS model of it though
looks as if the major difference for the Alpine is the built in hood and the front zipper
I have the 7mm Akona full suit, a good suit for the money (got mine for just over $100) the differences to the Bare ... not ergonomically shaped, and no flip seals on arms/legs
The key is to get a good fit, you want NO loose/baggy areas , should fit like a second skin... as tight as you can make it, without it being hard to breathe, or restrict your movements

WallDiver77:
What's the difference between the Bare Arctic and Velocity.... for those that have dove these?

The Arctic and Velocity share many attributes such as the calf and forearm seals, bellow ankle zipper closure and the neck seal and back zipper details.

The Velocity is built to be a more comfortable suit but there are trade-offs. They use lighter material and in some areas target high stretch panels that make the suit even more comfortable. As the model name suggests some panels are reduced to 6mm.

I dive the 7mm Arctic sometimes with the 7mm companion vest and that is a perfectly comfortable suit. I would consider the Velocity 6/7 if you were in temperate waters and wanted a very warm suit for those conditions. If your plans include teasing 40F I would stay with the Arctic.

I have taken my Arctic and vest in 40F and while it's pushing things it was surprisingly effective. For visiting 40 during the deep part of a freshwater dive below the thermocline it does well. To dive in the ocean for an entire 40F dive you will probably want the dive to be shallow, brief and non repetitive but it will get you in and out OK. From 50F & up it's my suit of choice, below 50F I go dry.

Pete

I also have the 7mm Arctic and vest combination. Dove the 7mm fullsuit alone last weekend with a Henderson 3 mm hood in 55 degree water and did just fine. I really like the fullsuit, and it is very warm with the internal wrist and calf flaps. Second the comments about the fact that it is a little hard to get on, but after you get through this, it is comfortable in the water.

Also did some longer dives at the end of last year in 50 - 60 degree water with the combo of the vest and fullsuit. They are made to mate together at the neck seal, and this really reduces water circulation.

D_B, Thanks for the clarification on the arctic suit. I took a quick look at the website before posting and missed the arctic. Thats what i get for late night postsing. I am sorry for the misinformation.

I dove this weekend in a 7MM Bare Velocity in 40-45 deg water and that wasnt to bad. I had a 7mm hood and 5mm gloves. The Bare Velocity was the best investment I made!

Back
Top Bottom