Bare drysuits vs. USIA drysuits

Which would you buy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't, so mine is a completely biased opinion. And I'm also very, very new to dry suit diving.

I imagine most of the responses will be biased, although not intentionally. Given the cost of dry suits, I dare say you'll be hard pressed to find many, if any, respondents who have dived both suits. I think this is the case in most polls - it's not so much a matter of "preference" as it is "possession".

the K

I have a freind in the Bahamas who dives a USIA Drysuit (yes you read that right). It is a very well made suit :thumb:

My first Drysuit was Bare. Nice suit. I only had that suit for a year. I have had several Bare wetsuits. The zippers don't last. Maybe the drysuit zips last longer.

I dive a DUI Clx50-50 :D

Tavi:
I have a freind in the Bahamas who dives a USIA Drysuit (yes you read that right). It is a very well made suit :thumb:
That has to be our buddy Fred from Grand Bahama Scuba. The only guy I know who sells drysuits in the Carribean. :D

USIA:
That has to be our buddy Fred from Grand Bahama Scuba. The only guy I know who sells drysuits in the Carribean. :D

Yes, I was speaking of Fred :D
When we take our trip at the end of November each year, Fred is usually putting away the wetsuit and getting out the drysuit as the water temps are just dropping below 80f

I just got a Bare Trilam with the diagonal front zip.

Since I'm still getting used to it I can't really comment on how good/bad it is. One thing I do like about it is the zip up neoprene gaiters on this suit. They keep the air movement in the suit lower legs to a minimum.

A lot of people around here dive USIA suits and I've heard nothing but good things about the customer service. If I'd been able to get a USIA suit for the same price as the Bare I'd have probably got it (although I'd have missed not having the gaiters).

Not much idea about the DUI suits, although I hear they're good but pricy. Being as I'm originally from Scotland that pretty much rules them out for me :wink:

I'm on my second USIA Aqua Pro. My first one lasted about 14 years and it still works but it was time to get a new one. I've never put a hole in mine. I've replaced seals and 1 zipper. They are tough suits. I dive a lot in and around oyster beds here in the Northwest and they can tear up gear but my USIA suits have never been punctured. I've also had great customer service from them.

Good luck with whatever suit you choose.

Scottri:
I'm on my second USIA Aqua Pro. My first one lasted about 14 years and it still works but it was time to get a new one. I've never put a hole in mine. I've replaced seals and 1 zipper. They are tough suits. I dive a lot in and around oyster beds here in the Northwest and they can tear up gear but my USIA suits have never been punctured. I've also had great customer service from them.

Good luck with whatever suit you choose.
Scott,

One of these days you will have to send me a picture of you in your suit. That was a pretty wild design you chose.:D

Tavi:
Yes, I was speaking of Fred :D
When we take our trip at the end of November each year, Fred is usually putting away the wetsuit and getting out the drysuit as the water temps are just dropping below 80f

Kind of makes you wonder what your friend Fred would do diving in COLD water. Probably look like the Michelin man, 3 sets of underwear and 50lb of lead :D

Dive1Dennis:
Kind of makes you wonder what your friend Fred would do diving in COLD water. Probably look like the Michelin man, 3 sets of underwear and 50lb of lead :D

2 sets of undies, but not 50 lbs.

If you were in the water as much as he is, you'd be wearing a drysuit too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom