Bare TRILAM ATR PRO HD vs. DUI TLS 350?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClassAction

Reaction score
Is there really a big difference between the top of the line bare drysuit (e.g. atr pro HD) and a dui trilam? There's definitely a huge price difference!

This will be my first drysuit. Half of me says "save the money and go with the bare as a starter suit." The other half says "you're going to want the better suit eventually, so just start out with it and it will last a while." Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

I am in the same boat like you on this matter. I am also heard the same thing from others. I plan to check out DUI at first before making decision.

Thanks for your thread.
I hope we can get any decisive comments from our manias.

Save dive!

I have a DUI TLS 350 and love it. It has been an outstanding suit when subjected to a variety of conditions. I have not experienced any problems with it whatsoever.

My friend opted for the Bare Trilam. It has been sent in for a faulty neck seal, and a leak in the seams of the leg. He's wishing he had opted for the DUI.

However, these are our experiences only, individual milleage may vary...

I have and dive regularly my Bare ATR HD. It's a great suit, a bit thicker tri-lam than the 350. On a Dog Days dive that DUI puts on I tried all three of their top suits. I liked the TLS 350 the best. Just seemed really comfortable.

But there is the price differential.......

ClassAction:
Is there really a big difference between the top of the line bare drysuit (e.g. atr pro HD) and a dui trilam? There's definitely a huge price difference!

This will be my first drysuit. Half of me says "save the money and go with the bare as a starter suit." The other half says "you're going to want the better suit eventually, so just start out with it and it will last a while." Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

I dive a bare XCD2 now but had a Bare ATR HD Trilam for the last four years. Thought it was a great suit and I didn't have any problems with it. I think it had around four hundred dives on it and would most likely have another two hundred to go if the new owner takes care of it. The only reason I got a new suit is that I've put on a few extra pounds in the last couple of years. I have a couple of buddies that have Bare ATR HD Trilams also and haven't had any troubles with them. I also have a buddy that has a DUI TLS 350 which he hasn't been happy with pretty much sence he get the thing. He's had it for about a year and has had to have the wrist seals changed because the original seals were to short, the neck seal was also installed inside out. He's also had troubles with seams in the upper legs. Personally I think that the DUI suits are outragously over priced and all that you are paying for is the name DUI. So you can guess which suit I would go with, right. The Bare suit is the way to go as far as I'm conserned, just my opinion.

I have the ATR HD and am thinking about getting a used TLS instead. The TLS material is lighter and thinner, the new ones have a nice underleg and underarm gusset for greater range of movement, and in my opinion are much more nicely put together.

Just make sure you are making an informed decision with regards to price.

If you look at the list price of the DUIs vs. Bare, there is obviously a big difference.

If you shop around and find a good deal on a DUI, you will likely find that a stock TLS DUI 350 will be $200-400 more than the Bare....still expensive, but not out of this world like the list prices....

The Bare is a lot cheaper, a lot tougher material, and a lot heavier. The TLS350 is very light weight, very expensive, but has a lot better custom service. They are somewhat apples and oranges. More realistic would be comparing the ATR Lite and the TLS 350 or the ATR HD and the CLX450.

I have an ATR HD, FWIW.

I tried to get a Bare ATR HD. Looked well made, but they do not offer women's custom cut. Needless to say it was a disaster.

My DUI TLS 350 is excellent. Lightweight, dries fast. Rather abrasion resistant but if you are around really sharp wrecks a lot, you might want something a bit heavier... the TLS can be cut. But for me, it's worth the tradeoff in suit weight and added mobility.

For women, since most of us need a custom, there is really no viable option at the moment other than DUI. Hopefully this will change in the future, but no other company has comparable experience/research into women's custom cuts.

Back
Top Bottom