Bare TRILAM ATR PRO HD vs. DUI TLS 350?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Bare and I love it. The differences between the Bare and the DUI were not worth the price difference to me. As far as I can tell, compared to the 350 the Bare is a superior suit for less money.

I tried both at a local dive fair and went to the fair biased towards the Bare. After trying on the Bare, the 350 and a 450 I ended up buying a DUI 450. The reason was it fit better and I found it easier to don the DUI suits (cross chest zippers).

There is the price difference but I had the money saved for 2 drysuits (for both the spouse and me) and with the fair discount I was able to purchase the 450 with knee pads and pockets for me and a 50/50 with zip seals and dry gloves for the spouse.

Only about 15 dives in the DUI but I am extremly happy with it. The wife had to send hers back to DUI for repair to a faulty wrist seal and got it back in 2 weeks. She is now extremely happy with hers.

"Just for clarification, the Bare ATR-HD and ATR-L both have cross-chest "self donning" zippers."

My bad, cut too much out my thought when typing.

The full thought, "The cross chest zippers were easier to use on the DUI's and the design of the DUI's made it easier to pull the suit over my head."

ClassAction:
Is there really a big difference between the top of the line bare drysuit (e.g. atr pro HD) and a dui trilam? There's definitely a huge price difference!

Thanks in advance!

I got to dive in the DUI suit in San Deigo, CA at DUI's "demo days". They haul all thier gear out to the beach and let any certified diver try it all out for free. I'm no expert but I did get in a full day in DUI gear and I've seen other diver's Bare suits.

Conclusion. The DUI suits are absolute first rate, top of the line better built , much better fabric and the new "zip seals" are really good to have
but... they cost over $1,000 more. Both Bare and DUI are worth the money.

I think it depends on how much you will use the suit. At my location wetsuits work year round as the water "only" gets down to 50F. But on a boat where you will do multiple dives and be exposed to cold wind between dives the drysuit will allow you NOT to be chilled after multipl;e dives whereas wetsuit divers might be cold after thier third dive. I don't do that many boat dives like that, one trip a month maybe But if I needed a wetsuit for every dive
I do (I dive about two times a week) I'd go for the expensive DUI in a minute.

The Bare suit is much more lightly built but IMO good enough for once a month use in
winter months while the DUI suit could stand 100+ dives a year.

If yu intend to use the suit 100 times a yaer, spend the extra money but if only a
dozen dives a year with the suit the lighter weight one is likely good enough

The advice I got from several people was "take the divemaster class. They give DMs a huge discount, then buy the DUI. " That advice advice was a little impractical for some one
who wants suit _now_ not next year.

One thing I noticed is that tri-lam suits have a LOT of drag. You will swimm noticably
slower in one then in a wetsuit A well fitting crushed neprene suit may be the way to
go. But even more money

ChrisA:
The Bare suit is much more lightly built but IMO good enough for once a month use in winter months while the DUI suit could stand 100+ dives a year.

If we are comparing the ATR-HD and the TLS350, then this is nonsense. The ATR-HD is much heavier, thicker, and tougher material vs the very lightweight TLS350.

FWIW, I do about 75 dives a year. I have had the ATR-HD for about a year and a half and am very happy with it.

mer:
I tried to get a Bare ATR HD. Looked well made, but they do not offer women's custom cut. Needless to say it was a disaster.

For women, since most of us need a custom, there is really no viable option at the moment other than DUI. Hopefully this will change in the future, but no other company has comparable experience/research into women's custom cuts.

Funny...Theresa has a custom cut Bare ATR HD, it fits her perfectly. They made the measurements and cut extremely "women friendly"...no complaints at all.

bwerb:
Funny...Theresa has a custom cut Bare ATR HD, it fits her perfectly. They made the measurements and cut extremely "women friendly"...no complaints at all.

LOL, What do you have to say bwerb?

Back
Top Bottom