Bare Wetsuits - Pros & Cons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really like my Bare Velocity. The XL-Short is a perfect fit for me, and quality seems very good.

In your place I'd probably go with the 5mm suit first. It probably won't be too much for Caribbean diving, and you'll need it for Northern dives. Or go with the 3mm and add a hooded vest... Really, there are lots of options that should stretch your budget.

I have a 7/6 Velocity full and love it! I've dove as cold as 45 degrees with hood and gloves and was fairly comfrotable even after 30 minutes. It's about five years old and is still in great shape. I'm 5'11"/ 240 and it fits great.

Dan

I'm a Bare junkie.. I have the 2mm shortie for Cuba, the 3mm full for Ontario Summer, and the 7mm for those Ice dives. Maybe they just fit my body well, but I'm very happy with all three.

I am looking at my first wetsuit purchase ... I tried a Velocity 5/4 full, Sport 5mm full and an Elastek 5mm full with the Elastek feeling somewhat better, but it is hard to quantify. ...
The other question that I am wrestling with is what thickness to purchase which I realize has a lot to do with where I will dive the most. While my preference tends toward the Florida Keys and Caribbean, I expect to have 5-10 days per year on training dives at local quarries and the occasional spring-fed lake. ...

Any comments on feedback regarding your experience is appreciated.

I have two Bare Velocity full suits, a 3/2 and a 5/4. I like them both. The "long" options for a good fit are what sold me, but I have been very happy with their performance (good arm and leg seals) and durability, too. I often dive the 5/4 in tropical waters (during the spring and fall when the water can be slightly cooler than the peak of summer). The 5/4 has quite a lot of bouyancy, necessitating the need for more weight to hold a safety stop with an empty tank, but often after the third dive, I'm the only one who is not feeling cold. With a well-fitting suit, I certainly don't see any reason to spend extra for anything stretchy.

Bare makes Great High quality equipment. I like there wetsuit's also Bought Tri-Lam HD Tech dry, Drysuit and could not be happier.

Sounds like you already have your answer but I'll add to the chorus.

I have dived in several brands of wetsuit and I really like BARE. It is the brand I recommend to my students and it's the brand I purchase for my kids. I own 3mm,
5mm, 7mm and two core warmers.

My only criticism of BARE is the core warmers. I prefer one without a hood because I often use them in warmer water locations after a few days of diving when I start feeling colder earlier in the dives.

BARE used to make a hoodless core warmer and I still have mine but it is definately showing its age. The hooded one is great, and I have one, but I prefer the hoodless one.

To say I am rough on my suits would be an understatement. My BARE 3mm and 5mm suits have both been on several expeditions with me and while they are clearly not new, they are also holding up very well. BARE is definately my wetsuit of choice and I think you will be happy with BARE as well.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom