Barracudas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spear in NC all the time and have never had a problem with Barracuda. They are a sight fish, so if you are concerned put your kill in a game bag to keep it out of sight. HJust the same, I've never had a problem with them.

I am usually much more concerned about the Sandtigers than Cudas, and have lost a couple of catches to big sharks (one of them got the stringer too!). They don't care if its in a bag or on a stringer, they seem to smell it. Anymore, if I see a big shark on the wreck/ledge, I just don't hunt. Not worth the potential fight which I am bound to lose.

I haven't ever eaten, or shot, Barracuda mostly because I like Grouper and Flounder too much. In the tropics Ciguaterra is a problem, and I don't think there is any good way to get rid of it since it is a toxin (kind of like build up of mercury). In NC there aren't any coral reefs, so the Barracuda is OK to eat. Of course, in the tropics, I won't eat Grouper either for the same reason, and I have a a freezer full of grouper filets and haven't gotten sick at all.

I don't have any problems with friendly Cudas, if they harras my catch, I would scare them away about 3 times, the 4th time, I string them with the catch.

So far I haven't had a Cuda snatch my catch in all 25yrs as a spearo, but if too many Cudas are around, I leave the water.

Never had an encounter with a bad Graysuit while spearfishing, just a few nurse sharks and they allways swim away, but I allways have my Slip-On PPD while spearfishing.

MichaelBaranows:
I was stringing fish for my dive buddy Sunday and had several Cuda that were keeping a eye on the Snapper. Most of the time they were ever 5'-10' away. But I would wave my arm and they would move back. I have only made a few Gulf dive but just about everytime there has been a few Cuda. A few weeks ago I on one rig there had to be atleast 250 or 300. And they have yet to bother me. But I guess if they do it will be too late. But I have not ever heard of any first hand accounts of anyone being attacked by a Cuda.

This was posted in the "Accidents and Incidents" forum:

Originally quoted by Richard Ruschman:
"My friend and business partner, coral scientist Tom Goreau, was snorkeling Cardona Reef last Thursday with his teenage daughter. They saw a three foot long yellow barracuda and observed it for about 5 minutes. As Tom turned away, it came for him and ripped off the little finger and about one-third of the palm of his left hand. Tom says the attack was totally unprovoked. He had mamximun DAN coverage, and DAN covered the flight to Miami, hospital, surgery with no hassles. Tom will probably leave the hospital in about 10 days to return to his home in Boston. Contact info for get-well wishes can be found at his non-profit's website (Global Coral Reef Alliance)."

This is part of an ongoing and interesting thread in the "Accidents and Incidents" forum. Check it out.

I've never witnessed any aggression by barracuda but they sure as heck make me nervous when they surround me at the safety stop.

off our coast the main problem are the sharks. There are plenty of sand tigers and sand bars on the wrecks and sand bars and bulls on the ledges and live bottom. When they want you're fish it's best just to give it to them because they don't give up easily.

Never give up your fish. This makes the sharks think that divers are the dinner bell. Be aggressive, swim toward the shark. Even if you don't have a PPD, a shaft through the gills WLL discourage the shark from taking your fish, and he won't bother you the next time. They just do not realise that we are the top of the food chain. :jaws:

You spear a shark in the gills he isnt pissed off... he dies. Power heads work better as you dont have such a small target. Using a 12 ga. pretty much a hit anywere works. I have heard that .223 and 7.62 work well and give you faster shaft speed.

H2Andy:
see, this is why i don't spear fish

Not to piss anyone off but if you don't spearfish why are you posting in this area?

shooter226:
You spear a shark in the gills he isnt pissed off... he dies. Power heads work better as you dont have such a small target. Using a 12 ga. pretty much a hit anywere works. I have heard that .223 and 7.62 work well and give you faster shaft speed.

Just a note to any newbie on powerheads. The percussion is a b**** underwater. Ear protection IMHO is a must.

BIGSAGE136:
Just a note to any newbie on powerheads. The percussion is a b**** underwater. Ear protection IMHO is a must.

Just like getting hit playing football, you don't really notice it.

I would never recomend ear plugs underwater.

Wayward Son:
Those big ones are greater barracuda. I wouldn't eat a big one that far south, they're old enough for the toxin buildup to pose a hazard.

About ciguatera...I was told by Jack Randall (Ichthyologist and author of many fish books) once that the algae that produces the toxin is comparable to the leichens that are the first organism to grow on a new lava flow. This trait is what made it so common in the South Pacific after WW2, when the US CBs blew up reefs to get the rubble to build airstrips etc etc. With all the exposed, barren, coral rubble, it was a haven for the toxin producing species. It kind of makes one wonder about now, since so much coral died and has turned to rubble all over. I see it all the time in Belize. I only eat small cudas for this reason.

In my opion this post is against the rules of the forum. And by someone who should be held to a higher standard ie. SB Staff.

Quote "It is not the place for folks who are not underwater hunters (or at least have an interest in becoming underwater hunters). If you're here to complain about spearfishing or lobstering or any other kind of hunting underwater you've come to the wrong place."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom