basic Nitrox wrist computer - best option?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JRM-TX

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello and thanks in advance for your feedback and recommendations. I've read many of the similar threads here, and also various online product reviews, Amazon ratings, etc.
Am looking to buy a basic Nitrox wrist computer (have used rentals last few years, and an ancient air-only unit before that). My priorities (in order) are: reliability, readability underwater, simplicity, cost and style. I'm in my late 50's, am a conservative diver, and would prefer a conservative algorithm. I don't care about trimix and almost never go below 120 ft. I am lazy and don't even log dives, so computer interface doesn't matter. Am not interested in a dual duty watch/computer unit. My diving is limited to LOB trips once or twice a year, so often in remote areas and hence wanting to be conservative. Don't care about air integration. Price point is prefer to keep it under $400, but might go a bit more if there was a step change in quality or features.
So, based on research and past rentals, here are the units I'm considering, in order ...
* Cressi Giotto. RGBM algorithm, good reviews, ok price, nice style. Front runner for now.
* Suunto Zoop Novo. Also RGBM. Good reviews online. Per other thread here, maybe some reliability issues. Rented one two years ago, liked it. Would have been first pick except for the sensor failure comments here. If all else is equal, the Cressi has nicer styling / appearance (minor factor).
* Oceanic Geo 2. Two algorithms, not sure if I need that. Maybe not as simple to use as I'm looking for.
* Mares Puck Pro. Looks to be very basic. Least expensive unit. Likely prefer something a bit nicer.
* Aqualung i300. Rented one of these on an Aggressor LOB trip last November. It was ok. Face was hazy and a bit difficult to read, scratched from usage. Doesn't appear to be as popular as the other models.

So I tried to do some research and provide context rather than just asking which computer to get. I think it will be the Cressi Giotto unless feedback is toward one of the others or something not on the list. Have a good day!

I have/had a Suunto, Oceanic, and Shearwater.

Oceanic Geo 2 is a good bet. It has DSAT (liberal) or PZ+, more conservative. You can also set conservativensss within those individually once you choose the algorithm. User replaceable battery is also excellent. I will say that the Oceanic interface and intuitiveness is not as easy as Suunto but once you learn how to use it, it’s fine. I will also add that Oceanic’s manuals are poorly laid out and written. Sign up for a DiveNav class for the Geo 2 and watch their videos. It’s super helpful.

Suunto is very intuitive and user friendly. It sports a more conservative profile but I think over time you may appreciate the algorithm of the Geo 2 more if you are doing vacation and liveaboard/resort diving. I would also then recommend a backup for your case but that is another conversation.

I recall Mares having the most conservative algo our of all - can anyone confirm? I have no feedback on Cressi but know folks in person and have read issues on some Aqua Lung computers so that is where my bias is.

jrm-
I also prefer conservative. But there's so much argument about which computers are really doing what, that it is hard to say for certain which is more conservative. I suspect the algorithms won't matter, as long as you remember to use mod 1.4 instead of 1.6 (being mores conservative) and set the "personal" factor to either +1 or +2, which would roughly correspond to going up one group or two in dive tables Between using the more conservative gas setting and the personal factor, I think any of them would give you a very conservative dive.
A mineral glass front, instead of plastic and screen protectors, is a plus. And if you can get an extra-cost extended warranty...for underwater electronics that can be a good investment.

Hi @JRM-TX

The conservative setting has nothing to do with setting to pO2 at 1.4 or 1.6, this relates to O2 toxicity only.

The Cressi RGBM is among, or the most, conservative of the decompression algorithms. It might be just fine for you but may be limiting doing LOB 4-5 dives per day.

I suspect the algorithms won't matter, as long as you remember to use mod 1.4 instead of 1.6
This won't matter in the slightest so long as you stay away from your maximum operating depth, which if you are trying to dive conservatively you will be doing anyway. Setting the max PPO2 (i.e., 1.4 or 1.6) will give the same changes for all computers and algorithms...it is not a distinguishing feature among them.

You don't read much about the i300 because it is fairly new, especially compared to the venerable models like the Geo 2.

OP: Of the ones you listed, only the Geo 2 and the i300 are non_RGBM computers. For liveaboard diving, that puts them at the top of my pile.

Oceanic proplus has nice big numbers for readability.

Otherwise look for a used petrel 1 around 400.

For Liveabord, I'd forget about Cressi, Suunto and Mares.

Choose one of the following:

Geo2.0, Veo2, Aqua Lung i300 (or the newer version, i300C) and the Scubapro Aladin Sport Matrix Wrist Dive Computer.

My Geo 2.0 has been working great. Once you figure out the menu nav its pretty easy. Big plus is that it is watch sized, on the LOB I just wore it all the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom