Bayahibe DR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scoober

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All
Been a while since I have posted, as I have been high and dry in ski country for several years. But I am heading to Bayahibe in a couple of weeks. Not a dive trip, but I want to do a few dives so I will take my computer. I have been poking around a bit, and I am wondering about a couple of things.
First, most of the viddies I see have alot of shallow bottom and heaps of surge. Are there any proper wall dives with a decent drift around? Current but not surge? A little deeper to get better viz?
Also, I have seen some amazing cave footage from a DR cave called El Asfalto. I am not cave certified, but I have done heaps of cenote diving around Playa and Tulum. Asfalto looks very similar. Amazing! Does anyone down there run cavern dives that do not require cave cert? And are they anywhere near Bayahibe?
I am PADI MSDT with literally thousands of dives around the globe (worked in the field teaching and guiding for a bunch of years), so I can handle basically anything they are diving down there. I expect my air consumption to be pretty terrible because it has been a while and I have been at a desk, but still....
If I do 4-6 dives, what do I want to do? St. George looks pretty good...
Thanx in advance for any tips!

The Catalina wall is about 60 to 90 feet. El Asfalto is no where near Bayahibe. There aren't any cenotes or caverns in Dominican. There is one cave near Bayahibe, but it is an actual cave dive.
The dive shop I use dives it ScubaFun | Cave Diving but I wouldn't follow a DM into a cave with just recreational dive gear.

The Catalina wall is about 60 to 90 feet. El Asfalto is no where near Bayahibe. There aren't any cenotes or caverns in Dominican. There is one cave near Bayahibe, but it is an actual cave dive.
The dive shop I use dives it ScubaFunave Diving but I wouldn't follow a DM into a cave with just recreational dive gear.
Hey, thanks for this OTWD. Is that fairly recent? Looks like a fair bit of healthy new "carpet" on the reef. Like solid recovery from an event. About 15-20 meter viz would you say? Is that pretty typical around there? What time of year was that? Sorry for so many questions--can't help myself!

Hey, thanks for this OTWD. Is that fairly recent? Looks like a fair bit of healthy new "carpet" on the reef. Like solid recovery from an event. About 15-20 meter viz would you say? Is that pretty typical around there? What time of year was that? Sorry for so many questions--can't help myself!
Just realized that it looks like you were there just a few weeks ago.

Not my video, it is from 2014. I was there 2 weeks ago. The vis was about 60 to 100 ft and it rained about 4 nights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom