bcd for petite diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow,

there are a lot of little people in this thread.

I am medium in size, but like very streamlined and small bcd's, and the Mares vera is just so and I have loved using it. It is particularly good for women as the bladder is an upside down T shape and puts the bouyancy on the waist and leaves the chest free and unrestricted. A divemaster friend of mine uses one, unzips her wetsuit a little flashes some underwater cleavage and cleans up in the tips department. Very sexy!

AquaLung is also making a Junior version of their breaker BCD, which is much more of a traditional shape, but can be adjusted down to be tight on a 10 year old.

backplate and harness. i think enough has been said about the fit that can be achieved with these systems. in addition to have the tank stuck to you in an extremely stable system, you get the advantage of better weight distribution underwater.

most bc's tend to make you bottom heavy, meaning your legs will drop when you are hovering. i've had a seaquest balance and have dived numerous brands of rental jacket bcs. not only did they not fit perfectly, i had to scull continuously while hovering over a piece of coral so that i don't land on the reef or have my fin tips break stuff off.

with a bp+harness, some sculling still required (wearing a shortie so no extra lift from wetsuit around leg area), but overall a much more relaxed diving experience. everybody i know who has moved to a bp+harness will sooner knife you in 10 different places than to exchange it for a "regular" bc. two people i know bought transpacs in the last 12 months. one sold her bc and bought a bp+harness. the other is looking for a buyer so that she can move to a bp+harness.

Back
Top Bottom