Bcd Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you thought about just getting the harness for now and learning to dive that? You can always add the wing later if you need it.

Not sure I follow. Are you saying I replace the straps on my bcd with a harness? Is there any example you could show me?

Hi,
One can ask what do I do with by diving buddy and her popping up, well 10-15 m, I do nothing, when we go 30m or deeper I try to be above her and watch for her.
good luck,
B4e

Granted I'm not the most experienced diver, but seems to me if she has those issues should she be diving 30m or deeper?

My action plan is two fold. Spend some time with an instructor, and swap for a BP&W. I anticipate spending quite a bit of time in this sport, so I'd rather make the switch sooner than later. Better to learn in the gear I will use. I spoke to my instructor today, and he offered to spend some time in the pool with me. So time to put my BCD up for sale.

You managed to check that the harness wont affect your stoma site? If so great. Will the weightbelt work or are you looking at a weight harness?

Not sure I follow. Are you saying I replace the straps on my bcd with a harness? Is there any example you could show me?
BP/W, is functionally about the same thing as a harness and wing, and technically the backplate also has a harness. So, I was wording for the common denominator.

Not all back plates are the same, and most are designed for diving twin tanks. It is harder to find good ones for diving single tanks. The Freedom Plate was probably the best one out there. An alternative is to dive a harness system like the DiveRite Transpack. IMO, that would be better for a single tank setup than a twin tank backplate with a single tank adapter. It works similar to a BP/W, except is is a harness system / wing. There is no hard plate in it. The tank is what makes it rigid.

Whether you opt for the BP or the harness approach, you can buy it as a completed unit, or just buy the back plate or harness and dive it that way for a while and learn to get your weighting skills optimized before complicating your diving by adding the BCD. You can get the wing and add it later when you have more experience and have a better idea what you kneed and want. I bought a completed system, but now the wing just sits in the closet. It's bigger than what I want to use and I rarely do any diving that would be improved by taking it along. I still like and use my harness though.

This is from another thread.

You may want to be looking for something like this harness/wing kit shown here by @ronscuba . If you PM him, I'm sure he'll tell you more about what it is and where he got the equipment. It think it might be Deep Sea Supply equipment.

To see full size, you may want to navigate to the original posting (click arrow link next to the name in header).

What do you guys think about the small 17 lb wings ? My wife and I use them, they provide enough lift for us.

One has an outer cover and the other is single layer. Do you think trying to secure them down to the backplate or wrapping closer to the body will make a difference ?

full

Granted I'm not the most experienced diver, but seems to me if she has those issues should she be diving 30m or deeper?

Hi,
v.good question, thank you. This year she hasn't popped up, maybe she is good now,
Cheers
B4e

You managed to check that the harness wont affect your stoma site? If so great. Will the weightbelt work or are you looking at a weight harness?
Sorry for the late reply. I had made the decision to move to a BP/W before actually trying them on and picking one. I just picked up my new BP/W today. Its a dive rite with a steel backplate, and a voyager wing. It has the clipped harness, and a single tank adapter.

I wont be able to use it till next weekend. But this thing fits like a dream. So much cleaner and tighter than my jacket BCD. The straps are all in locations that dont affect the stoma site. I think I'm going to like this much much more than my old BCD.

Back
Top Bottom