Bcd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XPATMANX

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Im looking at buying my first BCD and i was wondering if any of you have any suggestions on what tipe of bcd i should be using. Im only planning on using single tanks at a time.( no doubles) I dont know wheather i should buy a back inflate, or a vest inflate etc... Just post different bcds you liked and why :) thansk for all your help with my scuba gear. This board is great !

I am a rec diver and I love my jacket style BCD. It is a Seaquest Pro QD. My brother uses a Oceanic Probe and I have used it before and I would also recommend it.

I have experience with a couple different models. My first was a Seaquest Spectrum 4 jacket. It worked great, I loved it. I dove it for 10 years.
I use a DiverRite backplate with the TransPlate harness. I love it too.

I dive some model of weight integrated jacket at the Aquarium. I think they are Seaquest but I am not sure. At any rate, the only thing I don't like about them is the velcro that holds the weight pockets in is worn and sometimes the pockets can fall out. But these get dove hard EVERY day, if you dive 100 dives a year probably takes 10 years to equal what these bcd's have faced at 3 dives a day every day for about 4 years or so.

But everybody here will tell you the same thing about their gear.

What you need to do is think about where your diving is going, where would you like it to go? If doubles ARE in your future getting a rig that can handle them now will save you money in the future. No reason you can't get a BP/W setup now.

You probably have experience with jacket style bcd's now, from your class and rentals. As you should know there is nothing wrong with them, don't let anyone tell you different.

If you can, try out some different models. Some shops will let you do a pool dive to see if you like it or not.

Pretty much everything out there is quality gear, and if taken care of will last for many years. The pros and cons of each are personal so there is only so much to learn from these forums. the good news is whatever you buy will be fine.

Good gear should last a long time. Take your time to research - No rush to purchase gear even for the first 3-6 months.

I'm a BP/W fan myself.

in my opinion there is nothing better then a backplate and wing. there is nothing a conventional bcd can do that it cant and you can easily move up to doubles. they also have a much better fit and better bouyancy control

The only time I've ever worn a jacket style BCD was the rental supplied in my OW class. I've been happy with my Halcyon plate and wings for every dive since then. (Long hose and bungeed back-up too.)

At one time I dove only with jacket style but changed after a shoulder injury so I went to the Scubapro Knighthawk for ease in exiting the jacket after a dive. Low profile three seperate dumps making it easy no matter what plane you are swimming at horizontal head up or head down.

Through the years I've dove several different models and really like my current one the Knighthawk the best for overall comfort. The integrated weight system is also a plus.

Im looking at buying my first BCD and i was wondering if any of you have any suggestions on what tipe of bcd i should be using.

The best BCD is the one you are most comfortable in. Everything else is secondary.

I would recommend two things:

• Get some dives in - when I first got my OW, most of my attention was spent trying not to screw up. But after about 10-15 dives, things got a little more natural, and I was able to notice things about my BCD.
  • Try different BCD's - while are getting those dives, try different styles and brands
When I got mine, I spent 2 hours in pool with my instructor, trying different things out. It's a big purchase, so don't be afraid to make the guy at the store earn his commission.

I have a back inflate BCD, so I'm going to be a little partial to those. They seem less constricting, and keep you more horizontal in the water. Some people don't like them, because they try keep you a more horizontal on the *surface*, which can be a little disconcerting.

Another decision you want to make is about weight. A lot of BCD's have weight pockets you can use instead of weight belts. They are popular, but bulkier and more expensive. If you don't need a lot of weight and don't mind the belt, that's a way you can go.

Finally, what kind of inflator do you prefer? Some BCD's allow you to use the inflator as your backup regulator, others just have a regular inflator, and your backup is completely separate.

Also, if I remember from another post, you are a teen. Are you done growing, both up and out? It would be a bummer to hit a late growth spurt, and not have it fit anymore.

great info there :) I have decided to rent my bcd and regulator from my instructor. He is giving me a really good price. 150$ for the whole summer. then ill use this info to make a good decision next year:) you guys are great :)

while floating on the surface the back inflate will push your face down, so you need to keep fighting for vertical balance, the vest will provide more vertical and balanced floatation.
So you should question yourself: if you are going to spend time on the surface (vertical)...or below the surface (horizontal).
I, as a dive master sometimes have to assist divers on the surface, so I use the vest style.
Eco Sonora

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom