BCP and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

starfish365:
ok then just asking why would taking or not taking the pill or any kind of birth control have any affect on diving.

I wear an Oves cervical cap when I dive as protection for my upper reproductive tract. I used to dive while taking Ortho Tri Cyclen and had no problems with it.

The following is the actual article indicated by this thread. It indicates a POSSIBLE difference between women who take BCPs (3% during menstruation) and those who do not (1%) for risk of DCS. As the abstract indicates, there was not an even distribution of women during their cycle and NO indication of how many women were tested. As a Statistician, this makes me instantaneously question the results, as greater differences can be seen in smaller subject groups.

You decide:

Aviat Space Environ Med. 2003 Nov;74(11):1177-82. Related Articles, Links

Decompression sickness in women: a possible relationship with the menstrual cycle.

Lee V, St Leger Dowse M, Edge C, Gunby A, Bryson P.

QinetiQ, Cody Technology Park, Room 1011, Building A50, Ively Road, Farnborough, Hampshire, GU14 0LX United Kingdom. vmlee@qinetiq.com

BACKGROUND: Women are increasingly participating in recreational scuba diving and the professional roles of women are expanding in the fields of aviation, space, and diving. Evidence exists that there may be a relationship between altitude decompression sickness (DCS) and the menstrual cycle, although diving studies to support such findings are limited. The aim of the present study was to investigate the presence of any relationship between the development of DCS in female sports divers, the phase of the menstrual cycle, and the use of the oral contraceptive pill (OCP). METHOD: Personal, dive, symptom, and menstrual history details were collected by questionnaire from women treated with hyperbaric therapy for DCS in 23 treatment centers worldwide. RESULTS: There were 150 records suitable for analysis. The phase in the menstrual cycle of the DCS incident was estimated. The DCS incidents were unevenly distributed throughout the cycle (p = 0.001) with the greatest percentage of incidents occurring in the first week of the menstrual cycle. The variation in incidence across the cycle appeared to be greatest for the non-OCP users (p = 0.01), and when age was taken into account there was a significant difference between the OCP and non-OCP users with respect to risk of DCS across the menstrual cycle (p = 0.03). CONCLUSION: These data suggest that the risk of DCS may be dependent on the phase of the menstrual cycle and that the distribution of risk differs between OCP and non-OCP users.

PMID: 14620475 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I am also contacting the researcher to ask for more information. I'll post anything I find out.

Starfish:
The following is the actual article indicated by this thread. It indicates a POSSIBLE difference between women who take BCPs (3% during menstruation) and those who do not (1%) for risk of DCS. As the abstract indicates, there was not an even distribution of women during their cycle and NO indication of how many women were tested. As a Statistician, this makes me instantaneously question the results, as greater differences can be seen in smaller subject groups.

You decide:

Aviat Space Environ Med. 2003 Nov;74(11):1177-82. Related Articles, Links

Decompression sickness in women: a possible relationship with the menstrual cycle.

Lee V, St Leger Dowse M, Edge C, Gunby A, Bryson P.

QinetiQ, Cody Technology Park, Room 1011, Building A50, Ively Road, Farnborough, Hampshire, GU14 0LX United Kingdom. vmlee@qinetiq.com

BACKGROUND: Women are increasingly participating in recreational scuba diving and the professional roles of women are expanding in the fields of aviation, space, and diving. Evidence exists that there may be a relationship between altitude decompression sickness (DCS) and the menstrual cycle, although diving studies to support such findings are limited. The aim of the present study was to investigate the presence of any relationship between the development of DCS in female sports divers, the phase of the menstrual cycle, and the use of the oral contraceptive pill (OCP). METHOD: Personal, dive, symptom, and menstrual history details were collected by questionnaire from women treated with hyperbaric therapy for DCS in 23 treatment centers worldwide. RESULTS: There were 150 records suitable for analysis. The phase in the menstrual cycle of the DCS incident was estimated. The DCS incidents were unevenly distributed throughout the cycle (p = 0.001) with the greatest percentage of incidents occurring in the first week of the menstrual cycle. The variation in incidence across the cycle appeared to be greatest for the non-OCP users (p = 0.01), and when age was taken into account there was a significant difference between the OCP and non-OCP users with respect to risk of DCS across the menstrual cycle (p = 0.03). CONCLUSION: These data suggest that the risk of DCS may be dependent on the phase of the menstrual cycle and that the distribution of risk differs between OCP and non-OCP users.

PMID: 14620475 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Starfish:
I am also contacting the researcher to ask for more information. I'll post anything I find out.

for looking into this connection (or lack thereof) further.

Please keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom