becoming a new diver about padi test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlndavid:
after you understand it all, very clearly, go out and meet people and have fun.
Do you have a hot mom? :wink:
Even here David?:shakehead :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:
Thanks pal
(you'll have to wait until Memorial Day to find out)

Thalassamani is just busting your chops... you'll be fine. But yeah, you need to read the whole book. The test I took had about 5 or 6 dive tables to complete, which for this ole dog wasn't bad. As you can see, some of the things in the book are common sense too, which if you're really 15, you need to get some (Hey, I have a 15 year old and he has none...) But I'm sure you're mature for your age right?? You'll be fine, just read it all and highlight the answers to the Key Concepts as indicated in the book. It will help you retain more information when you do get to the Knowledge Review portion and eventually the test. The book will tell you this. You should have also gotten a couple of DVD's to look at as well (At least I did) Look at them thoroughly.....It's not that difficult, just make sure you know what you're doing and you have a dive buddy who knows even more...Good luck!!

fisherdvm:
If you are anxious, make sure your instructor work with you in the shallow end of the pool first with all your skills before going into the deep end.

I'll second that. It doesn't take much to get your mask knocked around on a dive, flooding it or knocking it off. Practice all the pool skills.

My philosophy (and you'll hear a lot of these), is that you need knowledge, skills, equipment, and experience to make a dive. Knowledge is the dive tables, the physiology, and Boyles law stuff. Skills are the regulator retrievals, mask clears, and finning techniques. Equipment is the obvious (unless you have gills). Everything so far can be bought, but the experience must be earned. Earn that experience safely by assessing how your skills, knowledge, equipment, and experience stack up to the planned dive.

The instructor I made my first OW dives with had about 9000 dives (yes thousand) to his credit, many in situations I will NEVER be in myself. He said he still learns something new about diving every week. If he is still learning, we both have a lot more to learn.

scubasteve92:
thanks again and my moms a rescue diver and her boy friend is a master diver:D

Then you're in a good place. And, from the comments from ffestpirate, you have someone who knows what he's doing and a Mom who probably does too.

Pay attention in class. Don't shirk on the skills drills, really work at them and understand what you're supposed to be doing.

Read the book and understand the physics and the math. If you don't understand anything, ask. You have an instructor and your mother and her BF to provide answers.

You have a real advantge in that after you get your OW card, you have some people who care about you and have exprei3ence to dive with. Get 50 dives in with them before you think about AOW or Rescue. Make sure you do both classes, though.

Oh, and, as I saw somewhere else on this forum today, make sure the number of your descents matches the number of your ascents.:D

Have a ball and enjoy every minute of your classes. At 15, you can potentially dive for another 70 years or more. At 100 dives per year, you could get in more than 7000 dives in your life. At 45 minutes per dive, average, you could spend nearly 6/10 of a year under water!:11:

Ian

Read the chapters, watch the video, and work the Knowledge Reviews at the end of each chapter - write the answers out. As you're reading, actually do the Quick Quizzes in the page margins. When it's time for class, your instructor will go over the Knowledge Reviews and administer a quiz. The questions are almost exclusively from the Knowledge Reviews and on quiz #4, using the tables.

Don't get uptight about the tables. Your instructor should go over them and let you work problems. If you have problems, there are lots of instructors that will help - PM me if you want - I've got lots table questions.

On the final exam, there's only a few questions not from the Knowledge Reviews (excepting, of course, table questions).

Pool sessions should build on your book knowledge and let you try out what you've learned. Pool should be fun. It all builds up to the check-out dives, where you should demonstrate your skills and most of all, have fun. After certification, sounds like you can dive with Mom and her friend. Next, you need to talk one of your buddies into learning!

Have fun, dive safe, and good luck.

Oh, don't forget to down load the software from scubatoys. PM them, and they will give you the code to activate it for free. The software will help you learn the dive tables.

Welcome to the board, take your time and study, and enjoy the course. Have fun and ask questions. There are no dumb question when diving. You have just entered a whole new world, and you'll meet some really great people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom