Becoming a TDI instructor.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really?

So, SDI is like a baby SSI that requires instructors to affiliate with a shop?

(OMG, their website is a nightmare. It's like a 2000's version of a GeoCities site, with the full seizure inducing constant rotating banners. "Requires Flash to use the pro side?" Yeah SDI/TDI, I am not likely to ever renew if that is your web 'presence'.

I have hammered PADI about their lack of IT co-ordionation, but really the SDI/TDI website is a complete joke. "Alternate HTML content should be placed here. This content requires the Adobe Flash Player." Really? You never thought someone might be visiting your site without Flash installed? Never heard of iPhones? iPads?)

Wait. I thought TDI was for technical diving. Am I to assume that one can go from pure recreational diving PADI instructor to a TDI technical instructor with nothing more then $500 and an online course?

---------- Post Merged at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:18 PM ----------

So is it a case of no one knows or no one wants to answer :)

To be a TDI instructor you have to be a SDI instructor. The process above is to crossover at that level. There is then an instructor development course for each TDI class to become a TDI instructor for that class. Each class has its own prerequisites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

my plan for the future is to become a TDI instructor. i was wondering the prerequisits. Is it a requirement to be an SDI instructor or will they accept the equivalent like for most other courses. So meaning will they accept it if you ARE a PADI instructor and NOT an SDI instructor?

also for the TDI tech divemaster course wll they acept a PADI divemaster or MUST you be an SDI instructor?

and if they will not accept padi, do you have to retake the dm or idc course but with SDI or can you simply just get the card easily with not to much tuition as you already know how to teach?

cheers
Craig Thomas Chamberlain

Craig: Since you are in England, I'd suggest contacting Stephen Phillips and/or Mark Powell. Both are ITs with TDI over there... both will be able to get you sorted. emails:

stephen.phillips@tdisdi.com
mark via: info@dive-tech.co.uk

You might also post something in the TDI forum which is monitored by headquarters staff.

To be a TDI instructor you have to be a SDI instructor. The process above is to crossover at that level. There is then an instructor development course for each TDI class to become a TDI instructor for that class. Each class has its own prerequisites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To become a TDI instructor now, you may have to be an SDI instructor, but there are TDI instrucutors who are not SDI instructors, and never have been.

To become a TDI instructor now, you may have to be an SDI instructor, but there are TDI instrucutors who are not SDI instructors, and never have been.

I'm one.

I became a TDI instructor and since the cost was just a little more went for the SDI as well to offer some specialties that SEI does not. As for the website I find it very easy to navigate, certs are a breeze to issue and fast. I put info in on sunday night and the cards are in my mailbox on friday. And they are right! I like that I don't have to mess with photos and affiliating with a shop does not mean you have to teach for it. Plenty of shops allow independents to affiliate with them.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

And they are right! I like that I don't have to mess with photos and affiliating with a shop does not mean you have to teach for it.

But it does mean you have to find one, which is a problem for many SSI instructors (and apparently SDI instructors as well, if they have to be attached to a shop.)

It means that the instructor rating can be made worthless depending on where one moves to.

Some shops will allow instructors from different areas of the country to affiliate with them. All it means is that the instructor has some support available from the shop. And the definition of a shop is open to interpretation. Under the right circumstances you could set up a shop in your backyard shed.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

And the definition of a shop is open to interpretation. Under the right circumstances you could set up a shop in your backyard shed.

According to my wife I have already done this except I don't sell any of the inventory.

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom