Beginning Divers and Snorkel Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Palacar gardens and Columbia shallows are good shallow dives that I have dove many times. I would think that both could be snorkeled and dove at the same time. Snorkled El cielo THE SKY during a si. Gets its name from the star fish that you could see in the shallow waters. Was a fair snorkel a few years ago but the starfish have disappeared in the last 2 years. Was not much else to see other than the starfish but was interesting.

I liked the C53 the one time I dove it, but it doesn't seem like its anyones favorite?.

Well, I liked it the one time I dove it too. Then for a few years no one ever wanted to go. I was interested in going, but never pushed it. Then someone wanted to go, so we went. I was always told it is kinda boring the second time. And it was. Not much alive to look at.

what do you guys think of these reefs

Cardona, Dzul ha, and Paradise

ok checked out the Centote eXperience.

Question as we have never dove or snorkeled in a cenote...don't think this is stupid. But is it deep? and is there stuff to see for snorkelers. AND isn't the water freezing!
:)

And what did you mean by who cares if the operator wants to go to far and then back...are you just saying for a good day out and on the beach etc pay the extra fuel?

Depth? that would depend on what Cenote they took you too, its more for topography then fish life also. Temperature is a little colder then the ocean, but its not bad, and the fresh water is so refreshing after a few days in the ocean. If its a hot day the water temp will feel great. And yes I did mean to pay a little extra for fuel if needed in order for them to be willing to take the boat father up the coast in order to get you a good meal then back out on the water, to me Paradise is used in order to get you back toward town or the Caleta not that is a bad place, but I think I rather go farther back down south for my 3rd dive and snorkel if it were me. Just my .02 I will say that i've had good luck at seeing the splendid toad fish at Paradise, so if thats on your bucket list. Well……

Hey Guys...I amy need to make another post, but was curious if anyone has been diving with CHI CHI Charters? I see lots of reviews for fishing and snorkeling but not diving. I know one person recommend them to me as CHI CHI does go to two reefs and Cielo in between.

Just trying to get some reviews on them as a scuba diving company.

I am not sure where Cardona is but my first impression (subject to being wrong) is that it is near to town dive sites.

At least one ought to be a Palancar site. Maybe even Columbia if acceptable for your current skill level.

Disregard: What happened to the Palancar Gardens/Columbia Shallows option?

I guess if it's part of a 3 reef trip, Dzul ha is okay- but that is SUCH easy shore snorkeling that it is almost fun to laugh at the people who paid a lot to have a boat take them there. Just take a cab to Money Bar (like 80? pesos from downtown, I think) and hop in the water. Heck, while it is certainly polite (and freaking yummy) to patronize Money Bar, they don't seem to require it to use their facilities. In my two trips, I don't think I've ever seen anyone scuba diving there- but there is no reason you couldn't I suppose. Money Bar is one of my favorite places in Cozumel, and I love snorkeling there.

Paradise Reef tends to be very crowded with snorkelers, and with divers- since it is very close to the cruise ships. We didn't go this year, but the reef is smaller than it was last year, as they cut off a giant chunk of it to add to a new pier. Maybe someone else can chime in if that has disturbed the amount of life seen on the reef now. Otherwise, it was a pretty good dive (though better at night). That is a site great for scuba and for snorkeling.

If I was the scuba diver on this trip, I'd insist on at least Columbia shallows, and I agree- a Palancar site. I don't know that the snorkelers would enjoy Palancar quite as much.

If I was the scuba diver on this trip, I'd insist on at least Columbia shallows, and I agree- a Palancar site. I don't know that the snorkelers would enjoy Palancar quite as much.

Palancar Gardens

hi guys...we are going with one of the operators that does go to Palancar Gardens/Columbia Shallows and Cielo (if I spelled that right)

Does anyone have reviews on Chi Chi Charters for Scuba diving???

hi guys...we are going with one of the operators that does go to Palancar Gardens/Columbia Shallows and Cielo (if I spelled that right)

Does anyone have reviews on Chi Chi Charters for Scuba diving???
I don't know anything about them specifically, but the competition for diving business on Cozumel is so intense that "bad" ops don't survive long if they even can get started. Chi Chi has been around for a while; I wouldn't worry too much about it.

You will love Colombia Shallows!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom