Belize / Honduras / Grand Cayman choice, looking for advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cayman is quite a bit more expensive so if you can stay free on the boat...sounds like a good choice.:D

I've done several cruises in the last two years, diving on all of them, and am going on another in three weeks. In fact, I will be diving at Belize, Cozumel, Roatan, and Grand Cayman. On my first diving cruise, I used two ship dive excursions, one was great (Costa Maya), the other was a cattle boat (Grand Cayman). We also stopped at Roatan, but there was no ship excursion so I did an independent. I'll never do another ship's dive again. You are restricted to the capabilities of the least experienced divers and the boat can be crowded.

I've used both Bananarama and Barefoot Divers at Roatan. They are both great operations. I'll be using Barefoot Divers next month because of the time restrictions due to our time in port. At Cozumel, I'll be diving with BlueXtSea, and at Grand Cayman we're going to Eden Rock. I'll have to check the name of the shop we're using in Belize, can't remember it right now.

I can't speak of Belize or Honduras, but personally I found the Seven Mile Beach on Grand Cayman too crowded for a relaxed vacation. I would go elsewhere.

Adam

I have been to each but Honduras. Best diving by far was Belize (Amergris Cay), but it can be a hike from where the cruise lines go. Grand Cayman is somewhere I dive often and I go with Tortuga Divers on the East End, because that's where we stay. The cruise lines come in on the West end, about 45min drive from the East End. That said, there are a number of very good dive ops on Cayman and I'm sure that my fellow divers could give you some good recommendations. Hope that helps. Have fun:D

Mike

The reason many (including myself) say to stay away from the dives booked through the cruise ship are that many cruise ship passengers get on board and say "I think I'll sign up for the dive excursion on (whatever island). I got certified so many years ago and haven't been in quite a while I think I'll try that." Or something like that. :eyebrow: So, many on those trips are inexperienced so the shops running the trips have to go into 'babysitting' mode and that doesn't make for a very fun dive for an experienced diver. Not that the shops contracted with the cruise ships are bad, they just have to stick to sites that have the least opportunity for problems and keep a sort leash on all of the divers.

We booked a group dive directly with Dive Paradise when we visited Cozumel on a cruise ship once and they were very accomodating to our schedule, and also we did not have to pay for the dive if the ship had to skip that port for some reason.

The wife and I are cruising soon, and hitting Belize, Honduras, and Grand Cayman. We want to dive at one of these places, but aren't sure how to best choose! Any advice? I would prefer to not go through the cruise line, and work with a local dive shop.

Experience;
I have about 40 dives under my belt, the majority off the coast of California (Catalina Island, Long Beach, etc). About 15 dives were warm waters (80's), the rest in the 50's with 8mm on. I feel fairly comfortable in the water.

My wife however has ONLY dove cold water, and would really like her first warm water experience to be amazing. She has about 12 dives, all in Catalina and in 8mm suits.

The question is, if you could dive either of those three locations but had to choose, which would it be? And if you have experience at those locations, perhaps a recommendation for a dive shop?

I appreciate it! (So does the wife) :)

Ash

I did what your doing...

I set up all of my dives before I took the cruise, Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel...

Belize was going to be with the ship (I know so back off all...) but time was very limited and at Belize they use tenders to unload and transport to shore... With time being limited we took the ships excursion since they would pick us up at the boat... again, not my 1st choice but I knew it would work... Roatan was done with "Native Sons" and I could not say enough good things about them... Depending on the cruise line your using will depend on where and how you get to the island... If its Carnival, email me and I can give you some info... Cozumel, which in null and void at this point but you never really know just where your going to end up at as I will explain...

Our first stop was to be Belize... Carnival had a pissing contest with the tenders so they blew off Belize and added Grand Cayman. We had to scramble but we dove with sea sports diving in the Grand Cayman... Nice outfit and they surly helped us out in a pinch but I hear the diving is better at Brac then Grand...

Roatan, we have been before and love CCV but since it was a limited one day diving event we were given the name of "Native Son" from someone we respect on the island... Very good choice in my opinion and located in the West End...

Best to you.... and smooth seas... lee

OH, and to answer your question.... only one of the three... Roatan, diving with "Native Sons" in the West End... They will work with you, just send them an email and they understand how the ships work...

Native Sons Diving - Some Favorite Dive Sites - Journeys Through a Blue World

lee

OK. Let's cut to the chase. I've been looking at Carnival primarily (other cruise line could do) for a three (preferrably) or four-day out of Tampa, New Orleans or Miami (last choice), that takes in Cozumel which will get me there early enough in the morning to leave the ship, go the half mile to my favorite dive shop near the docks, dive and get back on time for dinner. I'd like the name of the boat and times involved. Any suggestions?

The answer to your question is impacted by the fact that you are going to be on a cruise ship, and I am assuming the shore excursions are of limited duration. Because of those factors, I am going to suggest your first choice be Grand Cayman and that you get set up with Eden Rock Dive Center. They are close to the cruise ship dock, they rent excellent gear, and they have a very nice right off shore dive, with easy entry and lots to see, and its shallow- 40 feet max. Eden Rock will also offer boat dives, and may run you up to stingray city, a shallow dive with scores of stingrays.
As you read other posts, factor in your available time on shore excursions. You cannot get the same type of diving in on a shore excursion from a cruise ship that you can when you stay at a destination dive resort for a week. Eden Rock will give you the least stressed, easy time of it. There are other concessionaires on Cayman, and you should check them all out, but include Eden Rock on your list for the reasons given.
DivemasterDennis

My 2 cents

First off let me say that I have never been on a diving excursion from a cruise ship, so my knowledge in that area is limited. I have however done the cruise thing and would think you would have plenty of time to get a dive or two in on your own depending on your time in port. If you’re going to dive only one location, I would say do a couple of shore dives on Grand Cayman. It is probably the cheapest thing you can do on this island. That is if you take your own gear. A tank of air and weights might run you $15 per person. If I remember right it cost more to get a couple of cold beers than it does to shore dive. Like the other posts say, Eden Rock is just a quick right turn off the pier. Get some weights and tanks and in you go. The diving is not too deep here, but there is plenty to see. We dove just down the street at the Sunset House and saw turtles on every dive. The diving is easy. Swim west away from shore, descend, swim around for about a hour, swim east towards the shore to until the bottom is about 20' from the surface, swim around until your safety stop is up or you are out of air, and then surface. Then repeat if you have enough time. Plenty of coral, sponges, and reef fish. Also the water is usually calm and warm (80-82 degrees when we were there in April). There is also Cobalt Coast on the north west corner of the island for a nice wall dive if you want to go deep. You can dive right off their pier, but you would have to take a taxi (about 15-20 min away if I remember right).

Small turtle.jpg Sothern Stingray Flying.jpg Goldentail Eel1.jpg

Belize is a wonderful place to dive, but I think the diving here is best if you have plenty of time. Our best dives here were about a 45 min to 1-1/2 hour boat ride away from shore. Probably not practical from a cruise ship. However the coral and sea life is very nice here. If you like outdoor land excursions, this would be a good place for it. The wife and I enjoyed the Mayan Temples a lot, or try the cave tubing. (If you drink beer try a Belikin!)

xunantunich-biggest structure.jpg cave branch-happy tubers.jpg dive-nassau grouper.jpg

Roatan is one of the best places we have dived in the Caribbean. The only thing we didn't like here was the lack of turtles and large fish on our dives. With that said, we did have a couple of dives with large groupers and some nurse sharks. The coral is very healthy and there are plenty of small to medium fish. The underwater topography was diverse, but the sea was not as calm as it was in Grand Cayman. However it was not bad, with only a small amount of surge or current on most dives. If you can dive at two places, I would do Roatan as well. If not, this would be a good place to do some souvenir shopping.

Roatan 428.jpg Roatan 266.jpg Roatan 295.jpg

OK. Let's cut to the chase. I've been looking at Carnival primarily (other cruise line could do) for a three (preferrably) or four-day out of Tampa, New Orleans or Miami (last choice), that takes in Cozumel which will get me there early enough in the morning to leave the ship, go the half mile to my favorite dive shop near the docks, dive and get back on time for dinner. I'd like the name of the boat and times involved. Any suggestions?
Destiny out of Miami or triumph out of new Orleans. Although I think the Elation is moving to New Orleans soon. Also the Inspiration out of Tampa. But I think the Paradise will be swapping with the IS in the next few months. All Carnival ships

Back
Top Bottom