Belize in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize 13-21 June. Rainy season starts June 1. No big deal, just some showers a couple of times during the day that lasted maybe 15-20 minutes. Rained several nights after we went to bed. We stayed at the Sunbreeze right in downtown. Room was nice but the hotel charges us $12.50 us for the Do Not Disturb/Maid Service sign when the paper hook which was damaged when we moved in broke! Absolute BS and I would not recommend them. Lots of other places to stay. San Pedro has lots of dive operations and you can walk from one side of the Caye to the other in 2 minutes in town. Hyperbaric chamber is in town too. Lots of restaurants (dinner $20-30 US) but the city square with the carts after 6:00 is the place to eat for good food inexpensive under the stars.

The water was 84F, visibility 60+ feet, with swells the first day 8-10 feet! Water gradually calmed down to 3-4 foot by weeks end. The barrier reef is 1 mile from the shore. Inside the reef is 6 feet deep, outside drops to 80+ quickly. Open ocean to the east of the Caye means the waves can be tall during the rainy season. All dives are guided by DM and all bottom times were planned for 45 minutes. Nitrox is a good idea for several days of diving. The coral was...well disappointing. We had fun, but there was a lot more dead and broken coral (hurricane damage) than live coral. There was also a lot of water between fish scattered here and there. We did see nurse sharks and turtles on every dive, and occasional reef sharks. I had a good time but try the Atols as has been suggested so you can dive the protected side. San Pedro is a long ride to lighthouse reef. I would skip the Blue Hole, IMHO tourist trap, 130+ deep dive to see stalactites and some sharks. Two divers who got certified by the dive operator at our hotel did dive 5 at the Blue Hole!???. No thanks.

... but the hotel charges us $12.50 us for the Do Not Disturb/Maid Service sign when the paper hook which was damaged when we moved in broke! Absolute BS and I would not recommend them.

Jeez! Nickel, meet dime. Totally ridiculous on their part.

One of the nice things about Belize in May is if you can manage to stay during the full moon. Then it is whale sharks!!!! We stayed in Placencia and used Splash to get us out to the whale sharks. I have to give Splash 5 stars for service. When you go out to the reef you do a dive off the edge and then go into the reef for lunch, then back out again. We saw whale sharks both times.Not sure about all-inclusives, but the town reminds me of Key West about 30 years ago. We stayed at a hotel called the Cozy Cabins, they were inexpensive and they had a restaurant right on the beach.

Lots of neat places to stay for sure. As mentioned, Turneffe Flats, Blackbird caye and Turneffe Island Resort. Hamanasi is at the top of the list price-wise. We have also just started booking a neat place, Huracan Diving, near Lighthouse Atoll. We can usually get some good deals, for example Blackbird has a Book 4 nights, stay 7 right now, and Turneffe Flats has some last minute deals this July and August. We have also booked the Blue Tang Inn which is closer to nightlife for those wanting to party a bit.

As to OPs post, for diving out of San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, I give more than a serious nod to Victoria House!

Month of May diving, as another poster said, go around the full moon, stay in Placencia area and dive with Spash Divers!! Seeing the whale sharks with them is fabulous and Placencia a cool place.

We stayed at TIR for a week and loved it. It's like a luxury summer camp for divers. The food was great and good camaraderie with other guests/divers. Brought DVDs to watch in the room at night because there is no TV but it's really an eat sleep dive kind of place anyway. I've seen a few posts on this site about bad/dangerous trips to the blue hole. TIR is close enough that we were there before anyone from the mainland got there. The only group there before us was a liveaboard. We also asked in advance for 2 DMs on the blue hole trip as we were fairly new divers at the time and did not want to go below 100ft. TIR accommodated which allowed us to hang at 100ft watching all the sharks gliding by while another group went farther. It was an awesome experience and the rest of the dives that day were beautiful. Lots of turtles, rays, etc. Anyway, IMHO it's a wonderful place to relax and dive!

Hi Hank,

Are the atolls diveable this time of year? We're there for around 10 days next week, slap bang in the middle of the rainy season

Is San Pedro a safer bet than the atolls for diving? Sounds like theres more to do there if we get rained in. Anywhere you'd recommend checking out?

Thanks!

Hi Hank,

Are the atolls diveable this time of year? We're there for around 10 days next week, slap bang in the middle of the rainy season

Is San Pedro a safer bet than the atolls for diving? Sounds like theres more to do there if we get rained in. Anywhere you'd recommend checking out?

Thanks!

The rains haven't come this year. I think it's a strong El Nino or something. Only three named storms in the Atlantic so far. But the East Pacific off the Mexican coast has been very busy storm wise. Hard to say what's going to happen. I'm afraid of a Mitch like storm hitting us late.
But yes, right now Turneffe would be all time. Calm, no rain, warm water....You could always bail to San Pedro if it gets ugly This time of year it won't be hard to find accommodations.

Back
Top Bottom