Belize in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Placencia is a nice village to hang out in. I was very comfortable there.

I've never been to San Pedro but from what I've read I often describe Placencia as a "poor man's San Pedro." As in not as much night life, bars restaurants, accommodations, and other tourist type stuff. Given that you've been to both, could you do a compare and contrast?

Yes, sort of off topic but hey, it's the slow season.

Greetings -- and as someone else said, thanks for all the info. I've been free-diving (moderately -- down to 60-80 feet) and snokeling for decades and just starting scuba about 2 years ago with trips to Roatan and Sardinia (I'll post some recommendations on Sardinia -- great wreck diving).

So, my girlfiend and I are planning a trip this coming May to Belize. From what gather from the comments, the far Atolls are the best for diving (I got the point about the weather and being able to go leeward side whichever that is). PRoblem is that my girlfriend is not a diver and whilst she's happy with a book and enjoying a resort she may get bored. No interest in the water (I know -- but that's an Iowa farm woman for ya -- if you can't see the other side of the lake, its no good). Anyway, it seems from the comments that Placencia sounds best -- some tourist stuff around (and I wouldn't mind seeing a Mayan ruin). I've been in love with Whale sharks since I read Kon Tiki. Anyway, here's the question. Does this sound like the best combination of diving and some top side activity? And if we want to be comfortable and in a resort but not pay a bloody arm and leg (no disrespect mean to the sharks), where would you recommend we try to book. Again, if I were going alone, I'd head to the Atolls I guess, but this seems like the best combo. Last thing -- my last diving trip -- to Sardinia - was difficult cuase it was the shoulder season and only two operators were really reliable and open regularly. I really want a dive operator to BOOK dives with and know I'll be going. Not going to scramble around again like that. By the way, if anyone is interested in Sardinia, check out what I'll post on Sardinia on places near Cala Gonone and also Bosa. German wrecks were super cool at 120 feet. Bruce Butterworth (Washington DC area

While "best combination" could be up for debate, Placencia is an excellent choice for diving and land-based activities. As far as a reliable dive operator, I highly recommend Splash Dive Center for a number of reasons, dependability being high on the list. If you book a dive with Splash, you're going on that dive unless weather won't permit. They can also arrange tours for you pretty much anywhere in the country, including Mayan ruins, jungle trails, river tubing, chocolate farming, etc. As far as places to stay, give them a call and they can make reservations and even book the room if you wish. Ask to speak to Patty Ramirez, the owner/operator. She loves to do that stuff.

If you want to dive with whale sharks this coming May, you'd best call Patti tomorrow! ! I'm not kidding.

Downing, sorry, didn't see your post from September asking me about the difference between San Pedro and Placencia. I wouldn't call Placencia, a poor man's San Pedro. To me the only real similarity is that they are both in Belize.

I love San Pedro, amongst other reasons, because there is always live music playing somewhere in the evening and during the day, the beach is a bit like main street. It's an overly busy, bustling little town most days but the island stretches long in both directions and once out of the centre of town, one can find peace and beauty. Placencia so much smaller and walking along the sidewalk is a pleasure. Very peaceful there and the beach is fabulous.

Two very different experiences to my mind, at least the way I do it, since I stay
in centre of San Pedro instead of one of the lovely hotel/resorts further from town.

I'd be more likely to compare Caye Caulker to Placencia, and in that case, CC might be the poor man's Placencia. :)

I dove 100s with Chuck and Robbies, a great dive op. Cost me $10 USD extra each day, for 2 tanks. Chuck & Robbie's - Ambergris Caye Scuba Diving & Instruction

I second eating at the carts in town square, good food, great prices. Stayed in San Pedro at the San Pedrano, low budget/amenities but clean, good AC, and cheap. Loved wandering around town, liked that almost everyone spoke english.

And you can't miss the Chicken Drop, a gambling event held on the beach, a unique cultural event.

Thanks to everyone. I took the message to heart and will call Patt tomorrow. Placentia is kind of where I was headed and this looks like the right location. I'd love to see the Whale Sharks but even if that doesn't happen, being in the water is great. And I think Kris will appreciate being able to get out a bit when I'm in the water, which was the problem with going way out. If anyone has any particular additional place to recommend for staying, I'd appreciate hearing about it. All best

Bruce Butterworth

For anyone else with similar conundrums, Belize has a MUCH better reef than the Bahamas. At least what I saw a couple years ago, the Bahamas had a lot of macro algea covering the reefs. I was just on the hunduras/belize reefs they were the most incredible reefs I have seen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom