Belize or Bay Island Honeymoon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FLHOG

Reaction score
I am planning a honeymoon in either Belize or the Bay Islands off Honduras. Both my fiance' and I are certified but not extremely experienced divers. If anyone could recommend a resort or destination that would make for a memorable honeymoon, please let me know.

Thanks!

Hi FLHOG,

In Belize we stayed at the Lighthouse Reef resort. Lightouse is a small atoll with nothing there besides the resort but very beautifull. The diving is pristine and you'll be close to the famous Blue Hole. In the Bay Islands we stayed at Fantasy Island in Roatan. The dive was graet, particularly Mary's Place, and accomodations also nice. If you're looking for a more "romantic" place for your honeymoon perhaps I'd go for Belize but Honduras is great too and much cheaper. Please PM me in case you need more information.

Take care.

Hi there,

My wife and I were married at Victoria House at the south end of Ambergris Caye, where we also spent our honeymoon after the family and friends went back to the states.

We found the resort to be simply amazing. It's beautiful, the staff is courteous and helpful, and it's just far enough out of downtown to keep things quiet. There is a pretty good range of room types. We stayed in a little casita for the first couple of nights, and then moved over to the outstanding honeymoon suite for the rest of our stay.

It is definitely a little on the expensive side, especially if you compare prices for activities (like diving) at other resorts. But the divemasters, Jacinto and Rene, were professional and knowledgeable, the fishing guides helped us catch enough snapper, mackerel, and grouper to feed 14 people one day, and the water taxi comes right to the dock when you take your new wife up to Capricorn for that romantic celebratory dinner :)

Anything we wanted to do, we would just let Javier know, and he'd say "be on the dock at 9:00am tomorrow morning, and the guide will pick you up", and that was it! He's definitely the man :)

Other great memories of our trip: Belikin beer (*sigh*), lounge chairs by the pool and on the beach, ceviche, driving golf carts around town, swimming with nurse sharks, freshly prepared, healthly-tasting food, rum drinks, sailing trips to Caye Caulker, awesome snorkeling and diving literally 5 minutes away.... We can't wait to go back!!!

While the wedding party was on the island, people went cave tubing on the mainland, birdwatching, shopping, barhopping, diving, you name it. Every single person that came has told us at one point or another that it was the most unbelievable vacation that they have ever been on.

That says something about Belize :)

Matt

IMHO, Belize is a more romantic venue & one better equipped for weddings than the Bay Islands. Also, unlike the Bay Islands, Belize mainland has lots of activities for nondivers, and is easy access.

Might want to check with Sundiver Beach Resort http://www.sundiverbeach.com/destination-wedding.html . They have an excellent reputation.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Although I have no information on this issue relative to Belize, I would note that no-see-ums are a given in the Bay Islands. While you will see a posting from an occasional individual who boasts that he/she had no problem or "I used XYZ lotion and had no problems," the fact remains that almost all Bay Island visitors get bitten up unless they are compulsive about excessively slathering DEET all over their bodies. And to those harboring suggestive imagery of oiling one's partner with some exotic concotion, there ain't nothing sexy in the scent of insect repellent. Of course, I do recall one amorous visit to the Bay Islands back when Skin-So-Soft was the preferred method of insect protection; even many years later, I find that the scent of Skin-So-Soft seems to elicit a Pavlovian-like response . . . .

SOS evokes "vivid" memories of Roatan. It's the little things that make a difference.

Congratulations!

And your decision to honeymoon in Belize is the right one! By the time you leave here, you'll be expert divers with extreme stories to tell.

Ever consider a charter sailboat that can carry you all around the incredible cruising waters of Belize? It would be like cruising on your own crewed boat, but you don't do dishes! Imagine waking up at Halfmoon Caye, watching hundreds of boobies and frigate birds rise into the air; dive sites seconds away... hot coffee and huevos rancheros on the stove...

Check it out.

Sandbender

We also did our honeymoon at Lighthouse Reef Resort in Belize. The diving was totally awesome and very easy IMHO. However, if you like nightlife, one of the more comerical resorts would probably be a better choice. If you want to relax and spend quality time - Lighthouse is the way to go. Simple, comfortable, clean accomodations and they never run out of Belikin Beer.

Honestly didn't wear shoes for a week. Literally cried when we were on the plane to leave. The staff lined the runway to wave goodby and I don't think there was a dry eye on the plane. I just couldn't say enough about my stay there.

If you have any questions or want to see pictures - email me:
Steph@GregandSteph.com

PS - we got married in Mexico at a resort and it was 100% stress free - and WAY less expensive than doing at home in Texas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom