Belize/Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbm

New
Reaction score
Hey, folks. I'm taking a week-long solo trip in early August, using miles to fly into Belize City. Trying to decide whether to stay in Belize, which would be new to me, or fly to Utila, which I know pretty well.

I'm torn between trying something new and different and heading back to a place that I know and love. Any thoughts on the relative merits of Belize vs Utila for a solo but social traveler? Does the Blue Hole live up to the hype? Any recommendations for destinations in Belize that are worth checking out? Ideas/suggestions for getting out of Belize City?

Also, does anyone know who flies to Utila from Belize City and where I could find schedule/price info?

Thanks!

Also Atlantic Airlines flys to Roatan from Belize and stops on the way on the mianland where I presume you can get off and conect to Utila. fare is about $200-$250 one way

Dive Safe

Gaz

In my opinion the Blue Hole dives in Belize are a total waste of money !!
$150 dollars, a 2-3 hour boat tide for an few minutes at a cave entrance at 42 meters ? I* was there in February and it was just not worth the money.

Your money would be much better spent either in the Mexican Cenotes or in Utila, $150 in Utila will buy you 12 dives and a trip to find whale sharks up to 50 feet long !!

A great dive shop/ school is Bay Islands college of Diving, If you go there tell them Marcos told you about it. The Divemasters and instructors are great, I enjoyed my time there so much I stayed for PADI Rescue, Dive Master and Instructor courses.

They have the only swimming pool and hot tub on the Island, Air conditioning, A discounted bar (about 50/60 cents a beer !!) The only customised jet dive boat on the island...etc..etc...

The Blue Hole was neat but for a 20 minute dive, it was really overpriced. Caye Ambergis is nice, but no comparison to Utila. I recommend you go to Cross Creek in Utila especially if you are travelling solo. The hotel is right on the dock and you get to know everyone there pretty quickly. And, it's only $125 for 10 dives, versus 1 dive in Belize. And, keep your eyes open for really really cheap flights on exedia.com. I got a last minute flight into Honduras for $200 from NY. Save your airmiles for something else if you can get a flight for that cheap!!

What's your price range per day (food/lodging/diving)? There are some great places in Belize. Lighthouse Reef is fantastic - near the Blue Hole, but also other great diving. Turneffe is wonderful as well. In Belize, plan on getting off the mainland if you stay up north.

mbm:
Also, does anyone know who flies to Utila from Belize City and where I could find schedule/price info?

Thanks!

An oft asked question here. Try using 'search' feature or contact Roatan Charter at 800 282-8932

Doc.

I would say, depending on your time frame try both. Belize is MUCH more expensive but has a whole different feeling "MON"

I think the Blue hole is a must do, but there are many different opinions about that, the consensus it it is really expensive, but the half moon caye wall dive after it is the best dive I have done in the Carribean without a doubt.

The Mexican Cenote option is a good one too, taking a cave course will change you life within diving and well worth the money.

Mexicans can cook some of the best food in the world, Belizians and Hondurans cant, that has to count for something in my book.

mbm:
Hey, folks. I'm taking a week-long solo trip in early August, using miles to fly into Belize City. Trying to decide whether to stay in Belize, which would be new to me, or fly to Utila, which I know pretty well.

I'm torn between trying something new and different and heading back to a place that I know and love. Any thoughts on the relative merits of Belize vs Utila for a solo but social traveler? Does the Blue Hole live up to the hype? Any recommendations for destinations in Belize that are worth checking out? Ideas/suggestions for getting out of Belize City?

Also, does anyone know who flies to Utila from Belize City and where I could find schedule/price info? Thanks!

I haven't been to Utila but I was just in Roatan. If I just wanted to dive, the proximity of great dive sites relative to where you eat and sleep is hard to beat in Roatan...I assume Utila is a bit the same. There are a lot of other things to do and see in Belize however. The diving here is great. Unfortunatley, the great dives are a pretty long boat ride, whether from San Pedro to Turneffe or Lighthouse reef, or from Placencia 20 miles out to the reef. It is expensive here and I guess it's because of the long boat rides and gas consumed. Gas is US$4.10 per gallon. I hate to say it...since I have friends in the dive business here...but Roatan and I would guess Utila give you more for your money as far as diving. Hank

Back
Top Bottom