Belize virgins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wink69

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
After years of reading about amberis cay and showing my wife the great tropical pictures of beliz, I think I talked the wife out of going to Hawaii Again. We are the typical diver non-diver couple. The wife likes to read on the beach, snorkel,eat out, and shop for cheap souviners to take home to the kids. I could dive all day and have adult beverages at night and be very happy! But am very willing to see a ruin or float down river to gass off. Now here is the question. Where to stay? I would like to be close to the ocean so the wife can lay out and swim in a nice post card tropical setting but do not need to have ocean view acomadations. We belive if you want to sit in a hotel room you don't need to fly thousands of miles away to sit by a treated pool. I would love to try some great local cusine and do some great dives. We are by no means High end we enjoy a great view better than mints on the pillow(kinda buget minded since I will be spending the kids college fund. ha ha) I have had mixed reviews about a place called ramons village and I cant seem to get a rate from them. there seems to be so many choices. We would like to visit around late feb.( is this a good time? earlier or later better?) Any advice on hotels and dive ops would be great. I trust a divers opion better than any one else. thanks

Some friends and I just got back from Belize about a week and a half ago. Do to the conditions of the beaches, i.e. seaweed, I don't think you'll get a "post card tropical setting" like you would in, say, Bali. That being said, we found the diving to be first rate, especially if you go over to Turneffe or down to Lighthouse but the diving outside the reef (which will be clearly identifiable by the breakers from the beach) we found to be great as well. IMO Ramone's is one of the more "commercialized" places to stay. We stayed in some condo's on down the beach a ways called Caribbean villas and didn't have any problems being picked up by the D.O.'s at our dock. We dove almost exclusively with Aqua Dives but I have heard really good things about Amigos del mar and ecologic, both of which are within walking distance of Ramon's. Ramon's also has a dive op on site. We didn't go over to the mainland but I've heard it's an excellent experience as well. Belize is one of the few places I've been to that I wish I could have stayed at for another month. Hope you have a great time!

As far as diving and beaches, Ambergris Caye or Caye Caulker are both really neat places with really good dive ops. Ambergris Caye is more developed then Caye Caulker which still feels small. I would also suggest considering spending time in the jungle. We stayed at Cave's Branch Jungle Lodge and got to explore the caves, and visited the Tikal ruins in Guatemala.

I love Belize--but do be prepared (or prepare your wife) that she isn't going to get anywhere close to the amazing beach she is used to in Hawaii. The beach is pretty narrow. The shopping is ok--mostly touristy things and a few nicer arty places, but it's all really casual. the diving is good, particularly if you can get out to the atolls. We usually stay a week on an atoll and then a week inland, because the jungle area is amazing. A non diver may or may not be bored out of their mind on the atolls (however if the non diver likes to snorkel and kayak, there would be things to do). Lots of cool caves, good hiking, Mayan ruins. Tikal, as suggested, is incredible--we did an overnight there and loved it.

W've been to AC twice and Caye caulker once. We really like Belize and will go back. But for a non-diver it might not be the best "beach" experience. The inland jungle, Mayan ruins and Tikal are probably better than the beach if you aren't diving.

you might look at Xanadu , Pelican Reef, Caribbean Villas or Portofino resort on Ambergris Caye,all have nice beaches and will cater to the whole family. your wife can shop and do all the non diver things on Ambergris Caye.
another thought is across the street from Caribbean Villas is a nice little house called yellow bird
Yellow Bird House Belize - Home for Sale - Home for Rent

I think we have the best beach at Tranquility Bay Resort. We are also the only place on the island where it is safe to swim to the reef as there is little to no boat traffic. That can save some dollars on tours! We are secluded so eating out at other restaurants does become expensive. I would definitely not stay at the house mentioned above although I'd rather not post why. PM me if you want to know.

Full disclosure.... I am the Manager of Tranquility Bay Resort

Carlos

Back
Top Bottom