Beneath The Sea 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaCobra

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
OK, who is going? Any big plans?

I went. One word to describe the show: Y A W N. :bored:

Usual suspects with "highlights" that include a new fleece jacket to keep warm between dives and lots of jewelry and psychedelic socks. Not sure why we go back year after year to see the same old same old. Many of the dive travel booths send non-diving governmental looking peeps to try and convince you to come dive there. Not very convincing. Entrance fee is now $35. Ouch. Think that I may start going every two or three years from now on. Staring down row after row of the Historical Society, Women in Diving and the NY Aquarium is really not worth that kinda cash. I stopped at the Coast Guard volunteer booth. Looked like the volunteers were all sponsored by Ambien.

OTOH It was nice to see the new Deep 6 stuff. Looks very cool and really well-priced. Finally saw the big Ratio computer. What a beast. More functions (and buttons) than MS Excel. Shearwater Perdix is one beautiful computer. Much nicer ergonomics than the Petrel.

Maybe someone else was thrilled by seeing Wayne at the Aggressor booth or the book signings by "not sure exactly who".

Ho hum in general.

Tridacna thanks for the summary - So glad I went on a dive instead... lol

When attending good shows one has to love the ambience. All the people you visit with each year, friends made and friendships renewed. Don't forget all the cool new gear featured by vendors from local and International companies you get to see. If you didn't have fun at Beneath the Sea you may not have been diving enough! Beneath the Sea is a great show each year stay a little longer,.move a little slower and have a closer look there always lots of fresh things to enjoy. Always experienced experts to learn from. Beneath the Sea is Great for divers.

I went. I had fun. Disappointing as I wanted to see a few manufactures that were not there - but I saw some old friends, new friends, and had fun. I didnt get to attend the presentations that I wanted to see but I heard they were great.

BTS is what you make of it. If you have a few pieces of gear to check out, if you have a few friends that you want to see, if you want to keep plugged into everything that is recently released, if you want to look at almost every CCR out there all in one place, if you are thinking about more training, or, if you want to attend any of the SEVERAL very good presentations that happen at BTS - its worth the $30.

I really wanted to go and meet up with some local and not so Loco dive buddies. Instead the call of the deep saw me diving with BRD. Didn't really have the free time to do both. I do enough virtual diving around here so if I can do an actual dive that takes precedence. Plus the seminar that I wanted to take was a little cost prohibitive this year. Definately going to do it next year.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom