Best addtion to current XZ-1 Setup- Macro Lense or Focus Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if u shoot on S-TTL u need to maintain your camera flash at force flash option....only this option works with S-TTL on s2000...

I know that the inon will shoot with correct exposure when I used it with my G-10 set to 1/4 power flash so unless there is a specific issue with using it with the oly, it shoot work fine in sttl with the oly flash set to 1/16 or another power.

Will check it out starting Sunday and let you all know if it works in conjunction with the xz-1 on a setting other than force flash

the XZ-1 flash does not work when the camera is set to super macro. I never had a problem with my XZ-1 in auto focus and macro and do not use my sola 600 during the day unless I am in a darker area. be sure to use spot metering when in macro with this camera and center weighted with W/A.

I know that the inon will shoot with correct exposure when I used it with my G-10 set to 1/4 power flash so unless there is a specific issue with using it with the oly, it shoot work fine in sttl with the oly flash set to 1/16 or another power.

Will check it out starting Sunday and let you all know if it works in conjunction with the xz-1 on a setting other than force flash

When you set your camera power (either XZ-1 and G-10) to certain level of power (1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 or full) this mean flash in manual mode - NO TTL. If no TTL then no STTL (where the strobe will mimic/simulate the camera flash TTL)
In manual mode, Canon G and S series does not TTL; XZ-1 does, but there's some issue for SnS YS-01 and Y-110 to STTL the XZ-1.

I will be very surprised if the Inon STTL work on XZ-1 in manual mode on a setting other than force flash.

call ryan at reef photo and video, he will tell you exactly how to set it up for the S2000, He helped me immensely with my Z240 settings

I can't find anywhere on this camera the "Force Flash" mode. I have Full 1/4, 1/16, 1/64 and the redeye plus deep inside the menu there are some sync options. I just returned from a dive trip and used the camera in M mode with flash at 1/4 and the inons on sTTL didnt seem to be having any issues most of my issues were mostley operator error..

Olympus calls it "fill flash" The symbol is just a plain lighting symbol. I don't want to become too deeply immersed in the debate regarding settings for Inon strobes and the necessity of having the magnet in. However, if you set the Inon strobe to STTL it expects a pre-flash from the camera (which it mimics) to adjust the exposure settings and then mimics the real flash from the camera. If you set it for 1/4 power, then there is no pre-flash and the Inon will mimic the 1/4 power but never sees the real flash and doesn't fire at full power.

The usual recommended approach by Inon is for STTL is to set the camera flash at the "fill" setting which should give proper STTL flash if the strobe is set for STTL. I cannot recall if this camera has STTL in manual mode but I believe it does. If setting to manual flash then set the camera flash 1/4 flash and the strobe should be set to manual mode (you can adjust flash duration on the strobe if you overexpose or underexpose in manual). You are supposed to have the magnet installed because in manual mode there is no pre-flash with this camera. I know that someone on this forum believes that the magnet is not needed in any event. He or she may well be right but the foregoing is what is recommended by Inon. In this mode the Inon flash is supposed to do a full or adjusted flash dump as soon as the camera flash fires at 1/4 power.

I can't find anywhere on this camera the "Force Flash" mode. I have Full 1/4, 1/16, 1/64 and the redeye plus deep inside the menu there are some sync options. I just returned from a dive trip and used the camera in M mode with flash at 1/4 and the inons on sTTL didnt seem to be having any issues most of my issues were mostley operator error..

You can use either fill in or full on the xz-1. I've been playing around with using fill and 1/4 and right now my only issue seems to be with getting the strobe aimed correctly for the different shots. :)

---------- Post Merged at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:24 PM ----------

Olympus calls it "fill flash" The symbol is just a plain lighting symbol. I don't want to become too deeply immersed in the debate regarding settings for Inon strobes and the necessity of having the magnet in. However, if you set the Inon strobe to STTL it expects a pre-flash from the camera (which it mimics) to adjust the exposure settings and then mimics the real flash from the camera. If you set it for 1/4 power, then there is no pre-flash and the Inon will mimic the 1/4 power but never sees the real flash and doesn't fire at full power.

The usual recommended approach by Inon is for STTL is to set the camera flash at the "fill" setting which should give proper STTL flash if the strobe is set for STTL. I cannot recall if this camera has STTL in manual mode but I believe it does. If setting to manual flash then set the camera flash 1/4 flash and the strobe should be set to manual mode (you can adjust flash duration on the strobe if you overexpose or underexpose in manual). You are supposed to have the magnet installed because in manual mode there is no pre-flash with this camera. I know that someone on this forum believes that the magnet is not needed in any event. He or she may well be right but the foregoing is what is recommended by Inon. In this mode the Inon flash is supposed to do a full or adjusted flash dump as soon as the camera flash fires at 1/4 power.

You can use sttl with the inon with this camera in manual mode as that's how I"ve been shooting with it and get correct exposure... for the most part. Error with incorrect lighting is due to stobe positioning, not strobe synching.

Thanks for the tips guys. I ended up picking up a lot of gear that papanano had listed for sale. I figure with everything I bought from him it'll take me awhile to figure everything out.

So spot metering for macro and cntr weighted for w/a is another thing I will remember.

This will be the first time I shoot manual mode on the xz-1 when I head to Cozumel next week. I've read a lot of different settings over the last week to use on here and I need to compile a list this weekend of settings for macro and w/a.

I plan on using sTTL this trip and maybe look at manual on the strobe when I hit up Bonaire in the spring.

Feel free to give share your xz-1 settings!

Get Martin Edge's book The Underwater Photographer 4th Edition. It is very good. There is Kindle Edition which I like because you can quickly access the hyperlinks in the book.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom