Best BC for big person

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are many different styles of BCs and people have a lot of choices and options when choosing. I'm 6'2" and weight 240 and have several different brands and styles in my dive closet to choose from. My favorite is the Aeris Atmos BC because of the way it fits and it has a "safe second" octo attached to the hose.

The most important feature of any BC is "DOES IT FIT" and are you comfortable wearing it.

I am 6'2" and 245, but also have a 36" waist. The Aeris Atmos XT, or currently the Atmos LX are wonderful BCDs. Its very comfortable and extremely stable. I think mine is actually a L vice XL. but that is irrelavant to you. YOU must find one that fits you best and once you get comfortable with it, that is the BEST one for you.

I'm a bit on the large side and found that the Cressi BC's at teh Dive Centre where I did my OW didn't fit me all that well.
Bought myself a Scubapro T-Force BC and have been very happy with it.

Hey everybody, I am 6'3 and weigh 250 lbs. I tried on BC's today and I wear and XL. My question is, what is the best BC for someone my size? Or does it even matter? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My best advice would be to size a back plate and wing for your size. There is a huge variety of wings ( air cell ) available and you can adjust the straps to any size you need.

A backplate/wing is, hands down, the most versatile BC available.

Another recommendation for a backplate and wing. With the exception of different plate lengths, it's pretty much one size fits all. It's easily adjusted to different sizes, and because there is less material it is much less buoyant and requires less weight to make you neutral.

I am 6' at 250 and have a Scubapro Knighthawk XL. It fits great and is comfortable. It is a little heavy when carrying it around, but other than that I have no complaints. If I had to change I would consider the Halcyon BP/W. The cost are comparatively close.

Im in a similar situation
I am 6ft and about 250. So not built quite as proportioned as you :wink:
I have a Seaqest ProQD that I bought when i first started diving a few years ago. It works great, but I am thinking of trying a back inflate. I am gonna check out a Seaquest balance tonight.
Basically my gripe with the vest type is they are super bulky. For a bigger person its harder carrying all the bulk and getting it proportioned well IMO.
My thing about mine too, not sure if others do this, but it traps air in certain spots and I find it hard to drain the air out to get good bouyancy sometimes. I gotta kinda press the air pockets out in all areas to get it evenly deflated while at depth.
I dont wanna worth that hard anymore. lol

Im in a similar situation
I am 6ft and about 250. So not built quite as proportioned as you :wink:
I have a Seaqest ProQD that I bought when i first started diving a few years ago. It works great, but I am thinking of trying a back inflate. I am gonna check out a Seaquest balance tonight.
Basically my gripe with the vest type is they are super bulky. For a bigger person its harder carrying all the bulk and getting it proportioned well IMO.
My thing about mine too, not sure if others do this, but it traps air in certain spots and I find it hard to drain the air out to get good bouyancy sometimes. I gotta kinda press the air pockets out in all areas to get it evenly deflated while at depth.
I dont wanna worth that hard anymore. lol

Back Plate and wing dude... you'll never go back to the stab jacket again.

I'll go a step further in the BP/Wing conversation. Call Tobin and www.deepseasupply.com. He'll help you get set up with the right configuration for your size.

I just ordered my doubles set up from him and I'm anxiously awaiting a visit from the UPS or FedEx guy...

BTW - I am exactly your size and the cost of a BP/wing isn't in the budget I do have a BC for sale I'm willing to deal on.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...28880-fs-cressi-s111-bcd-xl-w-atomic-ss1.html

Agreed! :)

5' 11" 270lbs. I have the Zeagle Ranger LTD. Just recently acquired it. Dove it for the first time yesterday. Love it.
Fits well, Sits below my large gut and does not restrict my breathing. Chest strap keeps it from slipping off my shoulders. Allows for plenty of movement without feeling restricted, even with a 5mil full and a 3mil shorty.
Still working out bouyancy issuses though. I know it's new and still have some fine tuning to do. But overall it is the most comfortable one I've tried yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom