Best diving locations...in the world

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Abaco, Bahamas!
I realize that the answer to any question about the best dive spots is somewhat subjective, but how did you arrive at Abaco, Bahamas? What are you comparing it to? What makes it great diving? Tell us more, please.

1. North Carolina USA provides everything diving has to offer in one single spot. It is among the top three spots in the world for wreck diving (Truk and Scapa Flow are the other two,)

What wrecks are there in NC?

It's tough to decide on a 'best' wreck destination...and you would have to consider Coron and Subic in the Philippines for inclusion in the top 3.

Here in Subic we have a host of wrecks in warm water, all within 15 minutes of the dive center..ranging from an armoured cruiser (USS NEW YORK), an LST, a LCT, a WWII 'Liberty Ship, several Japanese Marus and even a Spanish steam galleon sunk in the 1890's. Depths range from 6m to 45m+.

The only reason I list NC 1 and Truk 2 is that NC is much closer for me here in the USA.

Location to the poster's home, shouldn't really be a criteria for defining the "world's best". :wink:

We have over 2000 shipwrecks in NC coastal waters...including 4 German U-boats and one US S-boat as well as numerous coastguard cutters, barges, transports, tugs, pirate ships, steamers, etc.

What wrecks are there in NC?

You're kidding right? There are more than 2000 known wrecks off the coast of the Carolinas. Some 200 or so are dive-able by recreational divers.

The most famous are probably (in no particular order:)
1. German Sub - U-352
2. German Sub - U-85
3. USS Shurz - previously German vessel from World War 1 the Geier
4. The Proteus - known for Sand Tigers
5. The Aeolus - known for Sand Tigers
6. The Naeco - from which the pursers safe was recently recovered
7. The Spar - a USCG Buoy Tender full of life and Sand Tigers
8. The Bedforshire
9. The Indra
10. The Papoose
11. The WE Hutton
12. The Caribsea
13. Senator Duhamel
14. The Atlas
15. The Soluide
... and these are just a few of the wrecks I've dove..

I'm sure your area is nice - but it doesn't have this many wrecks and it doesn't have this kind of life. In recent years we've had everything from a Whale Shark to a Great White with a pup... a fun Bull Shark, barracuda by the hundreds, Lionfish is similar numbers, daytime octopus... roughtail and southern sting-rays with 6 foot wingspans, mola mola, and so much more...

I only made it number one because I lived close over my number two spot Truk - which was far away... but it would likely still be number one regardless.

Comparing it to so many other places - including the Barrier Reef in Australia, the Coral Sea, Central and South America, the Caribbean, the West Coast of the US and Mexico etc... NOTHING and I mean NOTHING comes close.

If you want the best diving in the world - especially for wrecks and large animal possibilities - this is it.

It really depends upon whether you are a reef man (Bonaire or Maldives?), a wreck man (Truk lagoon or North Carolina?) or a cave man (seek psychiatric help or take up a new hobby).

Royal Springs near Mayo, FL.

Just don't go in the cave unless you are cave trained.

You're kidding right? There are more than 2000 known wrecks off the coast of the Carolinas.

No, it was a genuine question. I really had never researched that area for diving potential. It's nice to learn something new! :D

So, Scapa...tick!
Subic.... tick!
Coron....tick!

Truk..next on my 'to-do' list and relatively accessable from where I am now....

Then I will have to turn my brain towards a solution that will get me over to dive in NC :D

The PADI Encyclopedia lists four "meccas" of wreck diving: Scapa flow, Great lakes, Truk lagoon and the North Carolina outer banks. I am 0 for 4 right now.

1. Aruba ( I would dive here definetely. This is the only island I have been diving at, highly recommend it)
2. Fiji Islands
3. Hawaii
4. Grand Cayman
5. St. Kitts
6. Key Largo
7. West Palm Beach FL.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom