Best First Dive Comp under $700?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its a position of limiting the outside influences. You "shouldn't" add balancing a console to the "rigors" of a technical dive, thus, PDC on your right wrist as you can operate your your inflator and use the "up-line" (or whatever else to hold DECO stops) with your left.... its about "simplifying". Stuff you arent being exposed to because the current state of training is to feed you incremental steps, sometimes backtracking to "better" gear, thus more $$ spent..... SAD!

lots of reasons, but as soon as you get into decompression you lose most of the AI advantages and consoles get in the way. They're heavy and expensive, so no point. I'd throw that one out, the Petrel is the same computer that most rebreathers on the market are using as a controller and primary computer. It's that good. It has a recreational nitrox mode and is certainly quite good for beginners.

That said, if he's not a Shearwater dealer he won't be able to get the, Shearwater is a very small company and getting set up as a dealer isn't hard, but probably not worth it for him.

The Geo 2.0 would require an SPG on your regulator set, but it will last you for the rest of your diving career. It has gauge mode if you do trimix, has two gas decompression which will be the vast majority if your diving, and is a perfect travel computer because it is watch form factor.

Regarding BCD, you set a $700 budget, $400 of which is taken up by the Geo 2.0, if you can stretch an extra $100, this is the best bang for buck in BCD's and will last you the rest of your diving career through technical wreck penetration. Only thing you might have to do is buy a doubles wing if/when you move to doubles.

DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba
2" Tech SPG - Dive Right in Scuba
Double Braided Kevlar High Pressure Hoses - Dive Right in Scuba
DRIS Dive Gear 3" Stainless Steel Snap" | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba
Total is just under $900, but gets you a high end BP/W, SPG, hose, bolt snap, and BP/W that will all last you through your tech diver training.

I think we should respect OP's preference. So I wonder if OP still wants AI at this point. If he/she does, then we should NOT push him/her into Petrel. The problem is AI is expansive, the lowest I can find is this from leisurepro
Oceanic VT4 Hoseless Wrist Computer & Transmitter with PC Download Kit
It should keep you happen for a long time. If you decide to move to more advanced diving later, you can just sell the transmitter, use the wrist unit in gauge mode and/or as back up.

If OP changed his/her mind and take non-AI computer, which is what I prefer as well, then Petrel is a no brainer at the budget. It is something not likely to be out grown.

In all honesty, given my current lack of knowledge on DC's, I'm truly good with either as long as I'm getting something I can rely on. The reason I liked the idea of the AI computers is that they had a real time air pressure, and that I could be relativity certain of how much air I am using. That and I didn't like the idea of the wrist mounted computers that had pressure readings suddenly losing signal during the dive. But given that I would have a SPG as a backup anyway it's really no big deal to go without.
That VT4 looks like an interesting option as well for the extra $100 over the Geo 2

Note that that is a used price, normally it is $700. Oceanic does not offer any other computers other than the Geo 2.0 worth looking at.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...564-need-help-choosing-new-computer-read.html

while I did start that thread so I am biased, it does address the important aspects of each computer price point and what is worth looking for. The big prices points are sub $200, around $400, and $750. There are three computers recommended and realistically most others just aren't worth looking at unless you are bound to a specific brand. It does not discuss AI computers because at the price points they are at, they just don't provide any meaningful data to justify the extreme cost increase.

​

but, it he can surrender the "useless" AI (okay , here we go), it is the "alpha dog" in the current race for "superiority"......

Do we really need this thread to go this direction ?

New recreational diver looking to buy their 1st computer. For recreational diving, what is wrong with AI or even AI hoseless ? Useless ? Is it dangerous ? Will it make the dive less enjoyable ? Does it create bad divers ?

I don't have a Petral and I am sure it is a good computer, but it reminds me of the cult like followings of Jet fins, BP/W, DIR diving.

If a recreational diver buys a Petral and never does trimix or decompression dives, do those features become useless ? Does owning a Petral make you a better, safer diver ?

the budget is actually $450. Remember he has a $250 credit at the LDS, which limits to the brands listed.

Then the real issue seems to be he/she need to buy from LDS because of the $250 credit. Will OP consider use that $250 toward rental, air fill, regulator service .....

Reason being I jus saw Oceanic Pro Plus on craigslist for $300, probably a little negociable. It is hosed AI, seems what exactly OP wants. I just think buying from LDS at full MSRP almost defect the $250 credit, well unless LDS is willing to discount

Do we really need this thread to go this direction ?

New recreational diver looking to buy their 1st computer. For recreational diving, what is wrong with AI or even AI hoseless ? Useless ? Is it dangerous ? Will it make the dive less enjoyable ? Does it create bad divers ?

I don't have a Petral and I am sure it is a good computer, but it reminds me of the cult like followings of Jet fins, BP/W, DIR diving.

If a recreational diver buys a Petral and never does trimix or decompression dives, do those features become useless ? Does owning a Petral make you a better, safer diver ?

I think AI is something newer divers get caught up in without seeing it from a less biased perspective. When I first saw AI I thought it was the greatest thing and it'd be idiotic to not have it. With more experience I've come to see it as a useless gimmick. I don't want the thread to go in that direction, either, but it's a very valid concern to mention to a new diver.

As for "Petrel if not tech" then I believe there's a clear answer there. Unless AI is a deep-seated yearning for a diver, the petrel is currently the best computer on the market without any hesitation. Besides the simple UI, easy Bluetooth-based synchronizing, user-replaceable AA batteries, and great screen.....the proven robustness of them is more than enough of a selling point in my book. Does OP need a Petrel? No, but if you're spending $700 on a computer you get a petrel. There's nothing wasted about it, simply not being pushed to its limits.....but few divers push their computers to the limits anyway. Otherwise I'd recommend a Zeagle N2ition for its simplicity and $179 cost. At that price point or higher, you get a Petrel unless you NEED tiny, in which case you spend up to the H3.

As for its cult status: I see that as nothing more than a glaring review. There's a reason for it. Jet fins and BPWs are the same way. Considering the price, flexibility, performance, simplicity, and durability....and that they're class leaders in each, I believe it to be the only logical choice. Why buy $250 gimmicky fins that break and suck our an $800 clutter trap when you could be in $125 of proven indestructible or $400 of modular? If I had a dime for every time some poor new diver got suckered into buying into gimmicks at double the price they need, I'd be a rich man. I worked at a shop that did it, my local shop doesn't ever stop doing it, and judging by interactions at Dive sites and online those two aren't unique. I was one of the many that got suckered into crap I didn't need.

Note: I don't own jet fins or a BPW...nor do I have any care what OP gets.

OP: There have been plenty of explanations on wrist vs console computers and petrel vs other and AI vs non. Regardless, nothing beats a small, simple, brass&glass spg and a computer on your wrist to complete clean and simple. While you're at it, use the next diving money you get for a BPW and some jet fins ;-)

Last edited:
You're going to need an SPG if you buy a Petrel also...it's not a bad idea even with an AI.

YMMV but my buddy has an AI Oceanic. It syncs so well that we've seen it happen when he gets within about 10' of his tank. And he's never noticed it losing the lock. The only downside is you can't touch many AI computers for much under $1K - the transmitters run $3-400 alone. It's also possible to buy an AI-based computer without one and later add it if desired or when you can more easily afford to do so - or find a good deal on one - transmitters within a mfr's line are generally pretty agnostic.

Hollis, Oceanic and Aeris are all divisions of AUP. In fact Aeris is currently being integrated into Oceanic and will cease to exist as a separate brand. So your shop should be able to get Oceanic/Hollis computers as well if there's something in their lines of interest - probably more Oceanic than Hollis in your case as I believe they only sell the two models now.

---------- Post added June 5th, 2015 at 02:36 AM ----------

​

but, it he can surrender the "useless" AI (okay , here we go), it is the "alpha dog" in the current race for "superiority"......
I don't exactly get your point, nor do I dispute the fact that Shearwater is a superior computer, my simple point was that it doesn't appear the OP's shop where he has the credit can get one. So suggesting one has no validity in this thread's context. Nor would Suunto or any other mfr's computers the shop is also unable to get.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom