Best First Dive Comp under $700?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So as it happens I've got some $250 credit at a LDS, and am considering putting it towards my first dive comp. I wish I could swing the cash for the Atomic Cobalt 2, but sadly my cash limit (with store credit) peaks right at $700. Maybe I'll swing the Cobalt 2 for next years tax refund, but for now I'd like to pick up a nice starter comp. I'm pretty sure I want to go AI. I have my own regs so no worries about having to swap anything out.
The LDS is able to get DC's from Aeris, Dive Rite, Sherwood, Mares, Genesis, and Scuba Pro
ATM he's got Sherwood Wisdom 3's in stock, and they seem like a nice setup in person. ATM I'm mainly doing local beach dives but am looking to expand into wreck diving. So would you guys say the Wisdom 3 a good purchase within my budget? or is there a better computer from the MFG's listed

Hi Ultimate Shield,

It's hard getting your dive computer questions answered directly on SB sometimes. People have strong personal opinions and the same answers tend to come up repetitively, even if they don't address your questions.

If I wanted an AI computer for $700, I would consider the Oceanic VT 4.1. Strong rumor has it this computer is being discontinued by Oceanic. It can be had, complete with transmitter and download cable from several sites for $700 (list $1000). As your LDS carries the discontinued American Underwater Products brand, Aeris, perhaps they have Oceanic too. Of course, they would have to match the available price in order for you to stay on budget with your credit.

Good luck in your computer purchase

My first computer was an AI Aeris Elite (wrist mount with transmitter on the 1st stage). Not user friendly but decent in performance. My first LDS sold me on the idea of of an air-integrated dive computer thus not needing a SPG. This worked well until a battery failure on the transmitter...while on a boat of course. That same day I went to a store and bought a fresh transmitter battery AND a SPG. Lessened Learned...if it has a battery it could fail when least likely. SPGs are a little more robust.

After a few years of pleasure diving with the Aeris Elite I got fed up with the complexity of the setting. I did my research and decided that the Atomic Cobalt would be a good upgrade. I could not have been more pleased in its performance. After 10 years I still need the 170+ page manual of the Aeris to adjust the settings. The Cobalt's user intuitive menu and 20+ page manual allowed me to fully u detest and the Cobalt in about 30 minutes. Since it is an inline air supplied dive computer it has the air consumption settings that the OP is looking for. With 400+ dives on my Cobalt IMHO it is the finest Recreational Dive a Computer on the market for ease of use, functionality and performance. I love my Cobalt.

Three years ago I started down the path of the Darkside of the Force...Tech a Diving. After using the Atomic Cobalt and loving it, I knew that I did not want to skimp on my transition to "tech gear". I reached out to the SB experts and ones I respected in the field such as Jim Wyatt. So as I upgraded equipment such as regulators, BP/W, fins (no split fins allowed on the Dark Side :) ) I purchased a Petrel. Even though my Aeris a Elite could be used in gauge mode, I wanted a great dive computer that was user friendly. Once again the advice I received was spot on, for a non-AI computer the Pertrel is hands down the best that I have seen for diving the Darkside. About a year ago Shearwater developed a Rec Mode firmware update which makes it a wonderful Rec computer too. This past year I have put about 200 dives on my Petrel and I love it.

Sometimes I dive with the Cobalt, sometimes I dive with the Petrel, sometimes I dive with both.

OP based on your first post I would suggest you buy a basic computer that does air and Nitrox. AI is nice but not necessary. Actual diving in more important. Then next year when you get your taxes either look at the Cobalt 2 or if you think you might someday venture into the Darkside get a Pretel 2.

Goodluck and go blow bubbles.

Get a Geo 2. It will do everything you need and save you $$ over Petrel. If you decide you want to be a tech diver one day, use the Geo 2 as backup and get a Petrel.

It's really just that easy folks.

Get a Geo 2. It will do everything you need and save you $$ over Petrel. If you decide you want to be a tech diver one day, use the Geo 2 as backup and get a Petrel.

It's really just that easy folks.

It's just that the OP asked for an AI at not more than $700. I dive a Geo2/SPG as backup, I agree, good computer

I think AI is something newer divers get caught up in without seeing it from a less biased perspective. When I first saw AI I thought it was the greatest thing and it'd be idiotic to not have it. With more experience I've come to see it as a useless gimmick. I don't want the thread to go in that direction, either, but it's a very valid concern to mention to a new diver.

As for "Petrel if not tech" then I believe there's a clear answer there. Unless AI is a deep-seated yearning for a diver, the petrel is currently the best computer on the market without any hesitation. Besides the simple UI, easy Bluetooth-based synchronizing, user-replaceable AA batteries, and great screen.....the proven robustness of them is more than enough of a selling point in my book. Does OP need a Petrel? No, but if you're spending $700 on a computer you get a petrel. There's nothing wasted about it, simply not being pushed to its limits.....but few divers push their computers to the limits anyway. Otherwise I'd recommend a Zeagle N2ition for its simplicity and $179 cost. At that price point or higher, you get a Petrel unless you NEED tiny, in which case you spend up to the H3.

As for its cult status: I see that as nothing more than a glaring review. There's a reason for it. Jet fins and BPWs are the same way. Considering the price, flexibility, performance, simplicity, and durability....and that they're class leaders in each, I believe it to be the only logical choice. Why buy $250 gimmicky fins that break and suck our an $800 clutter trap when you could be in $125 of proven indestructible or $400 of modular? If I had a dime for every time some poor new diver got suckered into buying into gimmicks at double the price they need, I'd be a rich man. I worked at a shop that did it, my local shop doesn't ever stop doing it, and judging by interactions at Dive sites and online those two aren't unique. I was one of the many that got suckered into crap I didn't need.

Note: I don't own jet fins or a BPW...nor do I have any care what OP gets.

OP: There have been plenty of explanations on wrist vs console computers and petrel vs other and AI vs non. Regardless, nothing beats a small, simple, brass&glass spg and a computer on your wrist to complete clean and simple. While you're at it, use the next diving money you get for a BPW and some jet fins ;-)

I respect your opinion and agree with many of your positions. Just differ on AI being useless or a gimmick. AI computers work and work reliably. They offer a convenience of looking at one device. Could you spend your money if a different manner to get more value ? I guess so, but you can say the same about buying a certain brand like Halcyon.

My cult comment might have been a little strong. Many people happy and satisfied with their gear of choice, they want to share the enthusiasm. However, it can get annoying when other models or brands that perform adequately, get slammed by some people on the internet. Not specifically calling you out, but I think you know what I mean and have seen it.

Depending on the type of diving you do, specific types and models of gear will be more appropriate. The needs of a cave diver or planned decompression diver is different than a recreational open water diver.

Shearwater is probably not interested, but they could offer a less expensive recreational only model. Could probably also come out with AI if they wanted.

Halcyon, Dive Rite, Hollis all sell recreational or less "tec" BCD's.

Stiff fins are better then soft fins for frog kicks. Stiff fins are more tiring. For recreational open water diving a flutter kick is fine, even preferred by many, which is probably why I rarely see a flutter kick diver using stiff fins.

I respect your opinion and agree with many of your positions. Just differ on AI being useless or a gimmick. AI computers work and work reliably. They offer a convenience of looking at one device. Could you spend your money if a different manner to get more value ? I guess so, but you can say the same about buying a certain brand like Halcyon.

My cult comment might have been a little strong. Many people happy and satisfied with their gear of choice, they want to share the enthusiasm. However, it can get annoying when other models or brands that perform adequately, get slammed by some people on the internet. Not specifically calling you out, but I think you know what I mean and have seen it.

Depending on the type of diving you do, specific types and models of gear will be more appropriate. The needs of a cave diver or planned decompression diver is different than a recreational open water diver.

Shearwater is probably not interested, but they could offer a less expensive recreational only model. Could probably also come out with AI if they wanted.

Halcyon, Dive Rite, Hollis all sell recreational or less "tec" BCD's.

Stiff fins are better then soft fins for frog kicks. Stiff fins are more tiring. For recreational open water diving a flutter kick is fine, even preferred by many, which is probably why I rarely see a flutter kick diver using stiff fins.

This is SB. I'm waiting to upgrade to a Petel 3 AI. I use Dive Rite XTs and almost always frog kick. Believe me, it uses a lot less energy than flutter kicking

This is SB. I'm waiting to upgrade to a Petel 3 AI. I use Dive Rite XTs and almost always frog kick. Believe me, it uses a lot less energy than flutter kicking

I've heard the Dive Rite XT's are great for frog kicks. I've also heard they are stiff which might be a reason they are good for frog kicks and less energy efficient for flutter kicks ?

Some people prefer to flutter kick. Could be poor frog kick technique, they own fins that don't frog kick well, they sometimes might dive in positions other than horizontal belly down. Shooting video, I am frequently on my side to position the camera to record swimming marine life. I prefer a flutter kick in this position.

I went to a presentation by a very well known tec diver at a social dive club meeting. He fielded a question on fins for recreational diving. His response was Jet fins, learn to frog kick, go to the gym to build up your leg strength. Interesting response since the question came from a female recreational vacation only diver.

Yeah, SB is filled with varying opinions. Luckily things are generally pretty civil, respectful and the moderators do a good job cutting out the personal attacks. Can't say the same for other internet discussion forums.

A recreational only Petral and/or an AI Petral ? Sounds great to me.

Ok so I just got off the phone with him and while he says he cant get the Oceanic stuff, he does have the Petrel 2 in stock.
So I may just save a few more pennys and go right to the Petrel. Gotta think about how best to mannage the scuba fund though, haha. I may still pick up the Cobalt 2 come next tax refund season as well as it looks to be an excelent rec computer going off of the great reviews itsgotten here
Thanks for all the input so far guys.

Ron, stiffer is more energy efficient for flutter kicking, just requires more strength to get them to a speed that is efficient.

Regarding AI, the question comes back to "is the extra cost worth the convenience of only having to look at one gauge"
Looking at Oceanic, the Geo 2.0 is $400 + $75 for SPG and hose, so call it $500. The Atom 3.1 is basically the same computer with AI capability, it is $900. You have to justify $400 for convenience of not having to look at two gauges. That is literally the argument. If you can justify that, then fine, but I don't know how anyone can justify that.

Ron, stiffer is more energy efficient for flutter kicking, just requires more strength to get them to a speed that is efficient.

Regarding AI, the question comes back to "is the extra cost worth the convenience of only having to look at one gauge"
Looking at Oceanic, the Geo 2.0 is $400 + $75 for SPG and hose, so call it $500. The Atom 3.1 is basically the same computer with AI capability, it is $900. You have to justify $400 for convenience of not having to look at two gauges. That is literally the argument. If you can justify that, then fine, but I don't know how anyone can justify that.

I hear you. Someone, I forget who, equated fin stiffness and efficiency to bicycle gearing. Depending on individual leg strength and endurance, people will have a different ideal bicycle gear and ideal fin stiffness. I bought Jet fins after reading all the glowing reviews and recommendations. I am now selling my Jet fins. I don't have the leg strength, ankle strength or endurance for them.

Recreational only diver. Petral or Geo ? $800 vs. $400.

AI, AI wireless, SPG, value of money spent. In my opinion, as long as the equipment is safe, reliable and functions properly, spend as much or as little as you want. I cannot justify the money I spend on my UW video equipment. It's a hobby for me. I don't make any money from it. There is no justification other than I can afford it and it makes me happy.

My 1st and only dive computer is an AI Suunto Cobra. 15 yrs. old. Never a problem, still works great. I feel like I've gotten my money's worth from it. No justification, but I am in the market for a new dive computer.

I like this discussion. Respectful, valid opinions.

My wife spent $$$ on designer shoes. I said you spent how much ? She pointed at my dive gear and I quickly shutup. :cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom