Best in Mask Visibility - Atomic Aquatic Frameless

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Totally agree with Nemrod, the Atomic Frameless (med) is the best mask I have ever owned, I have gone through a fair number of masks, more the fact that it fits perfectly than anything else added bonus field of view is great. I like this mask so much I bought a spare just in case...

This mask also has some great reviews:

Clear View Dive Masks with Impurity Free Glass - Dive Gear Express

Fit, of course is everything. Good luck with your search.

Fit is everything. No brand, quality, look, clarity etc. etc. is going to make up for an ill fitting and leaking mask. So make sure you test appropriately.

All of us do some sort of "vacuum fit" test, but the way I was told to do it is a "No Hands" version:

Gently place the mask in front of your face - no pushing. Now tilt your face up and let the mask balance on your face and take your hand(s) off the mask. Now, with no pushing etc. gently and slowly inhale.

- if the mask settles in on your face and stays in place with no additional inhalation, even when you tilt your head forward (you may want to have your hands ready to catch the mask - just in case :wink:), then you have a well fitting mask.

- if you have to inhale "hard", and/or "help" by pushing on the mask in order for the mask to settle on your face, then the fit is questionable, and you should probably try some other masks.

Fit is everything. No brand, quality, look, clarity etc. etc. is going to make up for an ill fitting and leaking mask. So make sure you test appropriately.

All of us do some sort of "vacuum fit" test, but the way I was told to do it is a "No Hands" version:

Gently place the mask in front of your face - no pushing. Now tilt your face up and let the mask balance on your face and take your hand(s) off the mask. Now, with no pushing etc. gently and slowly inhale.

- if the mask settles in on your face and stays in place with no additional inhalation, even when you tilt your head forward (you may want to have your hands ready to catch the mask - just in case :wink:), then you have a well fitting mask.

- if you have to inhale "hard", and/or "help" by pushing on the mask in order for the mask to settle on your face, then the fit is questionable, and you should probably try some other masks.

Agree and to add try a mask with a mouth piece or snorkel in your mouth as this can affect sealing, which is often why a mask tried in the shop fits well but leaks once diving.

I would have to say that the Atomic Frameless is my all time favorite mask!! I absolutely love mine to death!!!!

JohnnyO
------------
"What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?"

I'm really disappointed with my new Atomic Aquatics Frameless mask. It was pricey, as you know, and in view of all the glowing reviews here on SB and elsewhere I had hoped it would be the best mask I ever owned. By I guess I'm part of the minority of people for whom it doesn't fit well. I tried using it several times on a liveaboard, and each time it leaked like crazy. I don't have facial hair, particularly unusual facial features, or what some call a narrow face (e.g., Asian). I'm just a medium-build 49 year-old caucasian guy. I'm inclined to sell the Atomic Aquatics and try the Hollis frameless mask that others who seem to have had similar fit problems have recommended as an alternative.

Just remember that Atomic makes that mask in two sizes. A "regular" size and a "medium" size which is for a little smaller face. The front of the mask looks about the same but the skirt is a bit smaller on the medium. It's about 4 1/2 inches across the opening on the medium and right at 5 inches on the regular.
I may have to give mine to my husband since he covets it and buy the medium for myself. I'm finding the skirt is slightly large on the bottom.
Just want to verify, the Medium is smaller than the Regular?

I'm really disappointed with my new Atomic Aquatics Frameless mask. It was pricey, as you know, and in view of all the glowing reviews here on SB and elsewhere I had hoped it would be the best mask I ever owned. By I guess I'm part of the minority of people for whom it doesn't fit well. I tried using it several times on a liveaboard, and each time it leaked like crazy. I don't have facial hair, particularly unusual facial features, or what some call a narrow face (e.g., Asian). I'm just a medium-build 49 year-old caucasian guy. I'm inclined to sell the Atomic Aquatics and try the Hollis frameless mask that others who seem to have had similar fit problems have recommended as an alternative.

Maybe the strap is too tight?

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Masks are just that, if it does not fit properly it does not matter how nice it is and how many positive reviews it has, it's just useless.

For that very reason I bought SP Orbit, I tried both and I found that Atomic fits a narrow face better and does not fit wider faces like mine on the other hand it fitted perfectly my friend who has a narrow face.

Maybe the strap is too tight?

Good thinking, but that occurred to me. I tried loosening it to the point where it was really no more than the ambient pressure holding it against my face, and that did not help. This may be an incorrect assessment, but it felt to me like water would leak into the mask more during my exhale, when a small amount of air might escape through my nose. My theory is that perhaps the silicone skirt is SO soft, and the mask volume is SO low, that even a slight exhale through the nose might move the skirt away from my face just a millimeter or so--but enough to allow a little water to leak in. Maybe a low-volume mask with very soft skirt material is less forgiving to one who exhales slightly through the nose? It seemed like every dozen breaths I'd have to clear the mask. When I did a subsequent dive with my old mask, which is not low-volume, it didn't leak. My theory may be way off base, but not understanding WHY it leaks has been bugging me. The mask fit like a charm when I tried it on in the dive shop--it stuck to my face like glue.

No I do not think its normal for a low volume. At least I do not experience that :) are you sure it leaks under the skirt and not disloged anywhere or just have a leak between the glass and the silicone?

Back
Top Bottom