Best laid back snorkeling within 8 hours flying of Eastern US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

navi_jen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
All,

Dreaming of an upcoming 1 week vacation and hoping you can help. On a diving restriction for awhile, so looking for my next trip, which must be restricted to snorkeling. Don't want big nightlife or cruiseships or dead coral or lots of coastal development. Want good snorkeling (shore or boat) within a single day (8 hour) flight from Boston. Small hotel or cottages preferable. Prefer clean and comfortable, not necessarily glitzy. But am old enough not to have to endure fleabags or lumpy mattresses or bad service.

I've dove/snorkeled on Grand Cayman's SMB, East End and Northside (not the Brac or Little) several times and I am finding the reef and marine life to be degrading with each trip (or my expectations have gotten higher). Plus, GC's main island is getting too developed for me (when they've installed a Subway restaurant in the East End, it's time to move on). Have also been to Placencia, Belize for two weeks (where I learned to dive). Want a whole week's worth of snorkeling, I can't sit still on the beach. Like local color and hate all inclusives (unless they are a dive op and there isn't really any other choice).

On my list of considerations
Little or Cayman Brac
Culebra, PR
Turks/Caicos

Would consider a snorkeling liveaboard (if they even exist!).

On the Fence
Bonaire/Curacao: Want to wait until I can dive again (unless you can convince me otherwise!)
Roatan: I am concerned about safety traveling alone. I know someone who was raped on the island....makes me a bit leery.

Out of consideration
Cook Islands: will be volunteering there within the year
Anything in the French Polyensia/Phillippeans: (sp, sorry) too far for a single week.
Bermuda's outer islands: Too cold in February, I think
Cozumel or Ambrigris Caye: Waaaay too crowded.

Any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PS...am a very strong swimmer, traveling alone, if that makes a difference.

I was going to recommend Roatan, but understand your misgivings. I've been there many times alone and same personal safety rules apply there as anywhere. If you reconsider, then I suggest that you get a place near the center of West End that is just off the main road and has good security. In this regard I can recommend Seabreeze. For me the places on the far side of Halfmoon Bay are too far and dark in the evening.

You might consider the Virgin Islands also. IDK if you can get there within 8 hrs. from Boston.

The East End of St. Thomas has good snorkeling. Coki Beach is one area, Sapphire Beach is another. Unfortunately the cruise snorkel is at Coki Beach so you'd have to dodge that. But the ships themselves moor in Charlotte Amalie on the south side of the island.

A better option might be St. John. Trunk Bay is known for it, they have a snorkel trail there. Also cruise traffic. But there's other options there and at nearby islands also: St John Snorkeling There's even a car ferry from the East End. so you can "drive" over there. Or the regular ferry takes about 20mins.

St. Croix is another option. They snorkel at Cane Bay on the north side, the Frederikstad (cruise ship) Pier and there's day trips to Buck Island National Marine Park Natural Features & Ecosystems - Buck Island Reef National Monument

Or cross over to the BVI's - on the fast ferries that's under 2 hours from downtown Charlotte Amalie - the St. Thomas airport is 5mins. away. Or you can catch a shared ride cab to the East End for $20 and leave from the Red Hook ferry terminal - it could be a little faster depending on your schedule.

Virgin Gorda has the world famous Baths snorkeling site. Also pristine white beaches with reef just offshore - some so close to the surface that boats can't enter the bay. From there you can go to Anegada - the whole island is basically a built up shallow reef - DiveBVI does an all-day snorkel trip out there - or daytrip to Jost Van Dyke (you can get there from St. John also) No cruise ships on VG either, they call at Roadtown on Tortola. I think there's also at least one resort on JVD - that's off the beaten path for sure.

Tortola is a long island so staying at a resort on either end you'd be oblivious if cruisers were in port. There's also a bunch of little islands nearby all with good snorkeling on both sides of the channel. A buddy's husband doesn't dive so he went snorkeling on most of our dives - except the Rhone wreck as it's at 70'. At many he swam in towards the island off the mooring while we swam out to dive.

VG is really safe too, there's 3000 permanent residents, probably more tourists than locals. We rented a villa there in 2007 - the manager did not have outside door keys to give us - they'd never needed them. Nice people also, very friendly. Downside is it's a little pricey to stay there - there's not a lot of resort options and most are upscale. There's only 28,000 permanent residents of the BVI's - 24K of which live on Tortola.

What about Bermuda? Isn't that just a couple hours from Boston? Besides the reef there's quite a few shallow shipwrecks, that could be a fun snorkel.

PM with questions, I don't usually watch this sub-forum.

My recommendations:
#1 Bonaire, easily the top pick for your wish list, pictures are worth a thousand words :) snorkeling ABC Islands - a set on Flickr
#2 Culebra/Vieques , Culebra has better snorkeling 3 very good sites, Vieques has several decent sites and many great beaches
#3 Roatan/Utila, Roatan has great snorkeling, lots to see and do on land
IMO Curacao shouldn't be on your list, all the good reefs are in deep water (too deep for snorkeling) great for diving

---------- Post added January 22nd, 2013 at 01:11 PM ----------

My recommendations:
#1 Bonaire, easily the top pick for your wish list, pictures are worth a thousand words :) snorkeling ABC Islands - a set on Flickr
#2 Culebra/Vieques , Culebra has better snorkeling 3 very good sites, Vieques has several decent sites and many great beaches
#3 Roatan/Utila, Roatan has great snorkeling, lots to see and do on land
IMO Curacao shouldn't be on your list, all the good reefs are in deep water (too deep for snorkeling) great for diving

Sorry, Culebra has better snorkeling than Vieques ( not better than Bonaire )

Atlantic Ocean Beach Villas on Provo, Turks and Caicos. They have a little villa perfect for 1 or 2 people. Turks & Caicos Beach Villas | Providenciales Beach Villas | Grace Bay Beach
Smith's Reef is just across the laneway - some of the best snorkelling I've ever done. You will feel like you have the whole place to yourself. Saw eagle rays, nurse sharks, turtles, etc while snorkelling. Kitchen in the villa to prepare some meals on your own, or just a 2-3 minute walk to the restaurants at Turtle Cove Marina.
Highly recommended!

I shouldn't tell you this, but I think Akumal Mexico, about 80 miles south of Cancun is where you want to go. Fly to Cancun and take a van ride or bus to Akumal. Not a ton of coral when snorkeling from shore, but you will see turtles eating grass, a good chance for barracuda lying alongside large bait balls of grunts and snapper, it's not unusal for an eagle ray or two to swim in the bay. There are yellow sting rays, I've seen an electric ray, and at night you can see conch, crabs, and in the few coral heads and rocks on the north side of the bay, octopus. The water is very warm. Less than 2 miles away is Yal-ku lagoon, a marine preserve/park, where you will see mass quantities of colorful fish. As a bonus you get one of the best beach bars in the world ( the Lo-ha ), and one of the great laid back beautiful beaches off the beaten bath to be found anywhere. Just don't tell anyone else.
DivemasterDennis

Last edited:
An excuse to recount and comment on snorkeling!

As someone who snorkeled for years and just start diving and then went on a family trip and did some snorkeling, I think St. John would be a great choice. Its not crowded and the sea life there is pretty awesome. There is no cruise ship stop there directly, but you will get some ferry spillover in town and in Trunk and Cinnamon on a cruise ship day. Just don't go there on those days or go early or late. We had a rental place and a rental jeep and were pretty happy. I did not do trunk bay, but we were there a week, so we did a lot of different sites that are less well known and were great. Its the closest to diving as snorkeling gets from my limited experience. I saw things snorkeling there that I had only seen diving in Bonaire. The coral in St. John I think is better than some places, but still not as good as Caye Caulker, Belize or Bonaire (diving). Also a good choice, I have been to Akumal and it is seriously hassle free snorkeling with some really really fun stuff to see. Just stay in the bay and roll out of bed into the ocean. Its nice to be able to see turtles and rays (big ones) any time you get in the water. Lots of cool stuff as Dennis mentioned and I personally love Mexico in terms of SI, whereas St. John has much less culturally to offer, but is beautiful with lots of hiking available. The coral there (Akumal) is probably about as meh as Grand Cayman, but there will be less of it.

I know that where you have been helps people to understand the relativity of your advice, so:

Snorkeling:
Cozumel, Mexico (good big life, coral meh)
Akumal, Mexico (see above) +1 Lol-Ha
Caye Caulker, Belize (super quiet caye, gorgeous coral, but you have to take a boat each time - if you don't mind this it is another good choice)
Roatan (coral slightly better than Grand Cayman, life awesome - understand your concern)
Grand Cayman (coral meh, life good)
Antigua (some good sites)
Catalina Island (kelp!)
St. John, USVI - (see above)
Diving:
Chatfield Reservoir, Gravel Pond, Colorado (oh yeah!)
Bonaire (awesome, I did not go to any specific snorkeling sites - maybe wait till you can dive)
BVI (good for practicing skills while on a family trip to St. John, USVI)

I hope this helps -let us know what you decide!

Last edited:
Hi all...thank you for your posts. Divemaster, funny you mentioned Akumal, I spent a week in Punta Allen many moons ago (maybe 2000?)...before Akumal became a real destination. But I had forgotten about it for snorkeling!

Cozumel is just waaay too busy for me. I wish I could get my dive buddy to go with my, I would head to Roatan in a second!

However, this trip may have to be postponed (for a good reason). I had a change in schedule, so I may have an entire month off (my overdue sabbatical). So I may head to the Thailand and the South Pacific instead....spending a week volunteering with elephant habitat rehabiliation in Thailand, with the rest of the time poking around for some excellent snorkeling.

Thank you, all, though. These recommendations will certainly come in handy for future trips!

Back
Top Bottom