Best Multiple Transmitter AI Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rye_a

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I will be taking our three kids (14y/o son and 16 & 18 year old daughters) to Bonaire this March for a week of diving, and I am trying to come up with ways to minimize risk any way that I can. One thing that I am considering is a wrist worn A/I dive computer that can link to transmitters on all five of our reg sets. I won't tolerate any lack of personal accountability about pressures and communications between dive buddies/the group, but I feel like being able to see everyone's pressures and consumption rates might add a small measure of additional safety.

I know that the Garmin Mk2i can track up to five transmitters, but I am a little concerned that I should move away from the watch form factor given the amount of information that I'll be tracking. What other computers would serve this function, and which do you like the most?

Garmin transmitter range is 33 ft.
PPS (Oceanic) transmitter range is 3 ft.
📻

• Bullseye!
Reactions: L13
My wife and I will be taking our three kids (1y/o son and 16 & 18 year old daughters) ...
Your 1y/o is too young for his own reg, he needs a few more years of maturity :rofl3:.

I know that the Garmin Mk2i can track up to five transmitters, but I am a little concerned that I should move away from the watch form factor given the amount of information that I'll be tracking. What other computers would serve this function, and which do you like the most?
No computer (that I know of) has more than 2 pressure displays on the main screen, so you will be switching to an alternate screen regardless, and the Garmin Mk2i transmitter screen is easy to read, so don't eliminate it so quickly. I have the Garmin Mk2i and love it, but wouldn't recommend it if you don't plan to wear it out of the water (a lot of what you are paying for is the sport watch features).

The Garmin is the only transmitter that can be read from more than ~3 ft. I have used it at over 20 ft, and it is spec'ed at ~33 ft.

There are several other higher end computers that can monitor 5 transmitters as well, such as the Shearwater Perdix AI, and the Ratio iX3M and more. They will have a larger display.

Even group diving with your kids, it is unlikely that you will be able to reliably maintain reception of the transmitter signals unless you are right on top of them. To be successful with radio monitoring, you will need to hover, and not in the good-trim SCUBA way.

If you are that close, just ask them. Better if you can do it right after you observe them checking their pressure on their own, but if not it is a reminder and hopefully a habit builder.

Your daughters are driving age, are hopefully building self-reliance skills, and would probably appreciate a sense of at least limited autonomy, even if you check in occasionally. If they are typical, their air consumption will probably be way lower than yours. Barring a significant and likely obvious equipment failure, If you are good on air, they are probably good on air. But resonable monitoring of the first few dives should give yo a sense of their relative consumption rates.

I'm sure it is a typo, but your son at "1y/0" is a decidedly special case for SCUBA.

Reactions: L13
Your 1y/o is too young for his own reg, he needs a few more years of maturity :rofl3:.

No computer (that I know of) has more than 2 pressure displays on the main screen, so you will be switching to an alternate screen regardless, and the Garmin Mk2i transmitter screen is easy to read, so don't eliminate it so quickly. I have the Garmin Mk2i and love it, but wouldn't recommend it if you don't plan to wear it out of the water (a lot of what you are paying for is the sport watch features).

The Garmin is the only transmitter that can be read from more than ~3 ft. I have used it at over 20 ft, and it is spec'ed at ~33 ft.

There are several other higher end computers that can monitor 5 transmitters as well, such as the Shearwater Perdix AI, and the Ratio iX3M and more. They will have a larger display.
Whoops...14 year old.

Although there are dive computers that can "mate" to several transmitters but there will be issues related to distance between your dive computer and their transmitters (the Garmin has most working distance it seems) but also the practicality of what you are trying to do will be a big factor here. Ratio transmitters blink while under pressure in color codes indicating the pressure range of their respective tank. This maybe far easier for you to monitor (in decent visibility).

I have attached the transmitter manual below.

1675383015819.png

Attachments

• EN_User_Manual_CC_Transmitter 221210 ver 2.1.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 89
Hi @rye_a

Sorry, that's crazy. Your wife and kids just need to follow their own gas pressures for the easy dives in Bonaire. You could always get them to alert you to certain landmarks like half tank, 1000 psi...

I've dived with my wife and two kids for a long time, we're all responsible for our own gas pressures, it has worked out well for 20+ years now, since both kids were 12. It won't take long to figure out your wife's and kids' usual gas consumption, may be better than yours.

Although there are dive computers that can "mate" to several transmitters but there will be issues related to distance between your dive computer and their transmitters (the Garmin has most working distance it seems) but also the practicality of what you are trying to do will be a big factor here. Ratio transmitters blink while under pressure in color codes indicating the pressure range of their respective tank. This maybe far easier for you to monitor (in decent visibility).
This makes me think that someone should make a simple solution like this without the A/I circuitry so it would be easy to monitor pressure levels of dive buddies.

Hi @rye_a

Sorry, that's crazy. Your wife and kids just need to follow their own gas pressures for the easy dives in Bonaire. You could always get them to alert you to certain landmarks like half tank, 1000 psi...

I've dived with my wife and two kids for a long time, we're all responsible for our own gas pressures, it has worked out well for 20+ years now, since both kids were 12.

Thanks (except for the crazy part), and good to hear. I'm sure you can understand feeling a bit of apprehension about having all of one's kids on a dive and feeling some responsibility for their safety (while reminding them that they are responsible for their own and each other's).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom