Best Multiple Transmitter AI Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This makes me think that someone should make a simple solution like this without the A/I circuitry so it would be easy to monitor pressure levels of dive buddies.

You can buy the transmitter for each person without the computer :)

Thanks (except for the crazy part), and good to hear. I'm sure you can understand feeling a bit of apprehension about having all of one's kids on a dive and feeling some responsibility for their safety (while reminding them that they are responsible for their own and each other's).
Sorry, you don't really want to monitor everybody's gas pressure. They need to be responsible for themselves. You could always query them a few times until you get used to their gas consumption. Later, you could pay a little more attention the highest consumer(s) until everyone becomes responsible for their own diving.

Thanks (except for the crazy part), and good to hear. I'm sure you can understand feeling a bit of apprehension about having all of one's kids on a dive and feeling some responsibility for their safety (while reminding them that they are responsible for their own and each other's).
I agree with @scubadada on this. I do also understand your situation.

My daughters are 14 & 17, and I dive with them. They currently have their own AI computers and transmitters. I could easily program their transmitters into my own, but elected not to. I wanted to get them in the habit of checking their gas regularly, I didn’t want to have them rely on me to do it for them.

All that said, if you are stuck down this path, it seems like Garmin or Ratio are probably the only solutions that will reasonably work. The Garmin should have the range, but you won’t be able to see all the pressures at once. The Ratio colored blinking could work, and wouldn’t require your computer to read the transmitter. I’m not sure how bright or often it blinks, but I could see the blinking being annoying after a while.

The Garmin should have the range, but you won’t be able to see all the pressures at once. The Ratio colored blinking could work, and wouldn’t require your computer to read the transmitter. I’m not sure how bright or often it blinks, but I could see the blinking being annoying after a while.
Not quite correct. The Garmin can display up to 5 transmitters per page on the transmitter details page of the UI.

I think your choices are:
  • Garmin for the range
  • Ratio for the blink codes
  • do without

I understand being apprehensive but you either trust them or you don't. (They are certified, right?) Do you really want to say, "I don't trust you," though not in so many words?

I suggest you discuss expectations before the dive and provide feedback (good and bad) after the dive. It's a good habit to build into their "normal".

Not quite correct. The Garmin can display up to 5 transmitters per page on the transmitter details page of the UI.

I think your choices are:
  • Garmin for the range
  • Ratio for the blink codes
  • do without
Thanks. I'm leaning towards the first or (more likely) third option with a few extra pressure checks on the first couple of days of diving until their habits are reinforced and I have a sense of their consumption.

Thanks. I'm leaning towards the first or (more likely) third option with a few extra pressure checks on the first couple of days of diving until their habits are reinforced and I have a sense of their consumption.
I would advise is giving them instructions that they must inform you when they reach certain cylinder pressure values (up to you). If they consistently fail to do so, then it is your call on what to do.

Speaking from personal experience and asking on scuba board, I will tell you that in order to monitor somebody else's tank you're gonna be 2' away from them in order to do that

Speaking from personal experience and asking on scuba board, I will tell you that in order to monitor somebody else's tank you're gonna be 2' away from them in order to do that
Word is that Garmin’s Subwave sonar transmitters have a 33’ underwater range.

What about a second standard analog SPG on the back of the tank?

Use a short HP hose with a full size gauge and it'll be easy to see from a distance. Everyone else can take part too.

Back
Top Bottom