Best place for diving on a budget?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SplitFinJunkie

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be recieving my OWC shortly, and I'm in Chicago. What is the best place for diving on a budget? This means I will mostly be shorediving. Also looking for a cheap hotel. Any recommendations? I'm thinking Bonaire? Is there any good shorediving in Aruba or Cancun?

Bonaire? Aruba? Cancun?

This is diving on a budget????

:D

Have you checked out spots around Chicago? Water's cold, but there's some great diving up there in the Great Lakes!! (Lake Michigan, right?)

Alex

EDIT: From what I've head, Bonaire is mostly shore diving. FWIW. :wink:

If you are on a true diving budget, Ft Lauderdale or vicinity is the ideal place. Plenty of shore diving and if you coming down post on
Florida Conch divers. Someone is always looking to dive and will make a great buddy.
Oh yes, a dive buddy is a must.

I gotta agree. Bonaire and Aruba are not budget locations.
The only thing buget about bonaire is that you can shore dive instead
of boat dive. But flying to Bonaire is not cheap.

In Aruba, it is VERY EXPENSIVE to eat out for example. Hotels aren't cheap either.
(not much shore diving either in Aruba).

Come on out to Gilboa quarry in Ohio. $12 per day to dive all you want, $8 to camp. There are inexpensive hotels in nearby Findlay and a Wal-Mart in Ottawa if you want to buy groceries. Don't dis the local diving, it can be tons of fun and it's pretty easy to find a dive buddy around here if you use the board.
Ber :lilbunny:

Thanks to this thread, I have some local diving lined up. I'm looking for some warm weather diving too. Seems like cancun airfare is cheaper, is there shorediving in cancun? Do they charge to shoredive?

SplitFinJunkie:
I'll be recieving my OWC shortly, and I'm in Chicago. What is the best place for diving on a budget? This means I will mostly be shorediving. Also looking for a cheap hotel. Any recommendations? I'm thinking Bonaire? Is there any good shorediving in Aruba or Cancun?

Try the Big Island of Hawaii.
Kona Coast

Room rates are still good and you can shore dive for almost nothing.
Two taks will cost you $20 if you know where to go and Two Step is awesome.

I know where you can get a great condo rental for reasonable :wink:

I hear Utila is awesome as well but getting there isn't cheap. Once there, A week dive package is reasonable.

LavaSurfer:
Try the Big Island of Hawaii.
Kona Coast

Room rates are still good and you can shore dive for almost nothing.
Two taks will cost you $20 if you know where to go and Two Step is awesome.

I know where you can get a great condo rental for reasonable :wink:

I hear Utila is awesome as well but getting there isn't cheap. Once there, A week dive package is reasonable.

I hear the diving in hawaii isnt all that great, but I have never been diving there so dont know from first hand experience. Although I am tempted to visit hawaii as I just found RT airfare to the big island for $326, but hotel rates are killing any chances of me going unfortunately

SplitFinJunkie:
What is the best place for diving on a budget? This means I will mostly be shorediving.

you might want to consider southeast asia, places like Indonesia, Phillipines or Thailand if you are looking for a budget trip, getting there can be costly for some people but once you're there the prices are very reasonable just about everything

SplitFinJunkie:
Thanks to this thread, I have some local diving lined up. I'm looking for some warm weather diving too. Seems like cancun airfare is cheaper, is there shorediving in cancun? Do they charge to shoredive?

Cancun is not a good place to shore dive. Too much surf...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom