Best Place To Get $400 Us Converted To Pesos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just an FYI for the future. I've purchased/exchanged money at AAA. Not every branch does this, and of those who do all carry euros and sterling pounds. If you want pesos, canadian $, yen currency, you may need to order it. I don't remember it costing much more than the exchange rate that day. You usually buy in packs of 100$. Of course you need to be a member or know one :wink:

Is there a bank ATM in the airport?

Awesome, thank you. So probably a good plan to just use the ATM in the airport to grab a quick $200 and let the ATM convert it to pesos for me?

Awesome, thank you. So probably a good plan to just use the ATM in the airport to grab a quick $200 and let the ATM convert it to pesos for me?

You'll withdraw the number of pesos that you need, or that you're allowed to withdraw. What you're allowed is a function of your daily limit with your bank. I withdraw $6,000 pesos, to minimize the number of times that I have to use the ATM. My credit union charges me a whopping $1.00 USD for using an ATM other than my credit union ATM's.

Is there a bank ATM in the airport?
Yes there are several clustered together in the walkway between the departure and arrival areas. There is a Banamex and at least one other (Santandar?). Last time I used the Banamex the service fee was the equivalent of about $2 USD (which my bank refunds). The exchange rate and any foreign transaction fee charged is set by your bank, not the dispensing ATM.

I mentioned this earlier, but make sure you use an ATM that is associated with a real (Mexican) bank, and not a 3rd party. I found two ATMs next to each other at the airport. The 3rd party ATM had a high fee, so I canceled the transaction. But when I got home I found they still deducted the $$ from my bank account. The Santardar ATM worked fine and charged a reasonable fee.

There are report of lots of 3 party compromised atms at resorts on the mainland and around downtown Coz as well as the airports.

With all that said , buying your pesos here at a flat rate is still cheaper than yanking the $ out of an ATM in Mexico. I'm sticking with my previous statement.
Do what you like, but getting 5000 pesos from the Banorte ATM in City Hall only costs me about 40 pesos.

Back
Top Bottom