Best Place To Get $400 Us Converted To Pesos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The tourists who lose their FMM doc (the little paper you have to turn in to get out of MX) also go there and wait in line to get a new FMM to fill out. Then then have to walk next door to the bank, stand in line and pay the immigration fee to replace the doc, then go back get in line at immigration and give the bank receipt to them.
I did that once, years ago. Handled it all at an office in the airport. I wouldn't want to risk it now. Mine stays with my PP, well hidden until departure day.

I did that once, years ago. Handled it all at an office in the airport. I wouldn't want to risk it now. Mine stays with my PP, well hidden until departure day.

It can be terrible. My FiL lost one years back and we took him down and they just gave him one. I have also been stuck there when sober, hung over tourists are losing their minds over the issue. When they got told to go get a receipt from the bank, they was lots of "I am calling the British embassy!! This is unacceptable!!" and such...

Those poor INM... Day in, day out, hungover people needing new FMMS.....

I would lose my $%^# if I was in line for 45 minutes and then told I need to come back with more paper!!!
I saw that video on FB.

Either go to one of the banks with your passport, one of the change houses back on 30th or take money from a BANK AFFILIATED ATM - do NOT use the free standing "Cashola" or "US DOLLARS" machines - they are privately owned and not regulated. You will have a very unpleasant surprise when you get home if using a non bank affiliated ATM. Our banks here are Banamex, Santander, Bancomer, Banorte, Scotia Bank, HSBC, CI Banco, and as someone else mentoned, there is a "bank" inside Elektra.

By "non-bank" ATM do you mean they can be identified by reading what's on the machine? I've used one at Chedraui on Cozumel and one located in the foyer at a bank in Puerto Vallarto and was only charged a very small transaction fee in both cases and got the current exchange rate (as far as I could tell). I carefully read the machines at Chedraui and narrowed it down to one or two possibilities. Did I just get lucky or is it apparent if you read carefully?

By "non-bank" ATM do you mean they can be identified by reading what's on the machine? I've used one at Chedraui on Cozumel and one located in the foyer at a bank in Puerto Vallarto and was only charged a very small transaction fee in both cases and got the current exchange rate (as far as I could tell). I carefully read the machines at Chedraui and narrowed it down to one or two possibilities. Did I just get lucky or is it apparent if you read carefully?

I think it is pretty apparent.

The machines in the grocery stores are all bank affiliated. Real - legit banks in Mexico who have branches in Cozumel are:
  • Banamex
  • Bancomer
  • HSBC
  • Santander
  • Scotia Bank
  • Banorte

Watch out for the machines that say "Cashola" - or "USD CASH" very large - or any free standing machines on the street. Bank owned machines will be obvious as their name will be on them as well as on the display screen.

The bank owned ATM's are either in a closed in kiosk attached to the bank (exception s Banorte machine at corner of 11th and Av 30), in the grocery stores, or at the government building, or in the airport.

Remember the $ is also the symbol for the MX Peso - so use logic to determine if the prices shown is dollars or pesos - for example:
  • $30 for a withdrawal fee at a MX ATM is not going to be $30 dollars, it's $30 pesos
  • At a restaurant, tacos that are $60 are not going to be $60 dollars, they are $60 pesos

Its been a few years but I have had a CC hacked at the Mega machine. From now on only bank lobbies.

Its been a few years but I have had a CC hacked at the Mega machine. From now on only bank lobbies.

I think Aldora Dave had that too. Also the Santander? in the airport. Basically any of them could be compromised, just the bank lobby one are the LEAST likely.

And since the Santander thing died, I avoid ATM cards altogether. I have though about the Schwab thing though.

Remember the $ is also the symbol for the MX Peso
!!
Yep, the first time I did that I got $50 = 50 Peso! Oops...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom