Best place to live for a wreck diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr8ful divr:
What I am really looking for are specific cities with the best access to sites. I don't especially like winters. I would like to live somewhere with wreck diving in my "backyard" but would also like a lot of variety. .

And you want to be close to tropical diving and an international airport. That pretty much describes Ft. Lauderdale.

gr8ful divr:
....I don't especially like winters...
Oh, this is great - taking stuff totally out of context.
Listen, you have to take a ticket like the rest of them and just wait your turn in line...

Also, there is a WORLD of difference between the articifial wrecks off Dade and Broward counties and real wrecks. Broward has the one real wreck, the Hydro Atlantic, but most everything else is so stripped down, cleaned, and sanitized for your protection. They're still fun, but it's not the same as a wild, real wreck.
They took USS Spiegel Grove, an amphibious assault ship, and took everything off. Same thing with the Vanderberg that's getting ready to go down in the the Keys some day, and the Oriskany.
The best spot for not-dived-that-much, but lotsa-lotsa wrecks is Bikini Atoll. Deep, impressive sunken fleets. Of course, you have to live there which would get old in the middle of the second week. And God forbid you get bent, although then you just twitch a little and walk funny - you become a character!
Everything's a trade-off - Florida has nice weather, literally miles of wrecks from Palm Beach to Miami-Dade, as well as Haitians, extreme humidity, and me. Europe has lots of Europeans - anywhere you go, you're not that far from France, and the Great Lakes are cold - people casually mention that they were diving in 36° water like it's a walk in the park.
Well, good luck with your choice.

Rob,Jim

"I don't like oneupmanship but I have to comment on this " - I was not disputing the facts you quoted it was a poor attempt at humour.

Sorry!

dbulmer:
Rob,Jim

"I don't like oneupmanship but I have to comment on this " - I was not disputing the facts you quoted it was a poor attempt at humour.

Sorry!

No problem.

R..

Diver0001 aka red sea defender,

i applaud your geographic loyalty, i am envious of your resources, any pics....

Well, I believe you got a pretty good flavor of responses. I would chime in on the North Carolina option. Morehead City, Beaufort, New Bern, even Raleigh would work.Great Historic wrecks, WWII U-boat casualties etc. A little rough and chilly in winter but awesome in the spring, summer, fall.

mozz:
Diver0001 aka red sea defender,

i applaud your geographic loyalty, i am envious of your resources, any pics....

No good ones. I don't have an underwater camera and most people take crappy pictures.

R..

Although gr8 ful diver indicated he was alergic to cold weather, I will still put in a plug for NY.
You could live within New York City (but i would avoid Manhattan). You are not far from Jersey wrecks, Long Island wrecks, and if you like some of those New England wrecks, all you have to do is drive to Montauk and catch a boat there, or take short drive to RI or MA.

Most wrecks are natural.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom